1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windshield - Spontaneous crack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by knphee, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Apr 2, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    knphee

knphee [OP] Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AccessCab TRD OR
    So this interesting, sitting in traffic today and all of a sudden my windshield spontaneously cracked. About an inch and a half from the bottom and distance is say from the steering wheel to the middle of the glove box. Can't feel the crack on the outside nor inside. No rock chips anywhere near the crack.

Truck is 6 months old, windshield is pretty much flawless except for what looks like a scratch (but no where near the crack), temperature today was about -2 C AND I had the defrost setting turn on med as we are having a massive wet snow dump and at the time the windows were fogging up as I had a couple of passengers with me.

If I take this back to my dealer (I'm actually due for my first oil change and I need to have them look at the blower motor) and ask them to replace this windshield -- will they tell me to pound sound ??? My concern is, how do I prove it was a stress crack/manufacture defect.

And another note, my friends brand new Honda CRV's back window spontaneous shattered and his dealer repalced his window.

And advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    KN

2. Apr 3, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I would not worry about proving anything yet. Take it back and show them the crack. Talk with them like a reasonable person and go from there.
    My guess is with no damage to the window and such a new truck they should be cool....but you gotta ask them to find out.

3. Apr 3, 2011 at 5:30 AM
    Junebug McQuinn

Junebug McQuinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wylie, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road Pre-Runner
    x2

4. Apr 3, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    You'll probably be able to swing a freebie based on the fact that there is no obvious rock chip.

In all honesty though, it was probably just caused by temperature changes. Had you JUST turned on your defroster? That spot is where it would first start blowing on the windshield, warming up the inside but the outside still being below freezing.

Also, was it one of the layers of glass that cracked, or was it the laminated mylar in between the glass? If it was the mylar itself, then you're 100% in for a new windshield. And with no evidence (to feel) inside or outside, that would seriously point to a random manufacturer defect.

5. Apr 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    knphee

knphee [OP] Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AccessCab TRD OR
    So I had the winshield looked at today (during my first oil change) and was told that if there was no rock chips it would usually be covered. We both went out to the truck and to my very surprise he spotted a very small rock chip--it was right below the driver side wiper. I could have sworn that it was not there even yesterday, I had inspected the whole length of the crack. :mad: I can't explain this one. Maybe the crack led to the chip? I should have listened to my buddy and took some pictures right away--service guy said he would have used my photos to submit to Toyota Canada. He still took some pictures and would submit the claims to Toyota but it sounds like I'm SOL.

6. Jan 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    fullback

fullback Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD short bed
    My windshield Cracked in the same spot as member Knphee , how much did it cost to replace yours ? if u did in fact replace it, i am looking to get it don right , dont want some fly by night glass guys to mess it up

Products Discussed in

To Top