Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   Tacoma bike fork mount (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/1504-tacoma-bike-fork-mount.html)

TacomaDave07 05-12-2007 10:49 AM

Tacoma bike fork mount
 
2 Attachment(s)
I have the Tacoma bike fork mounts that attach to the bed rail cleats for transporting bikes. I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with these. I have not, yet. The reason I ask is because the cleat rotates a few degrees and it can't be tightened more since the knob rachets(?) to prevent over-tightening. Since there is a little bit of rotation, the bike very noticeably rocks side-to-side whenever I back out of the driveway, turn a corner, hit a dip in the road. I'm wondering if the cleat could loosen over time and dump my bike on the freeway, tearing up my truck in the process. Longest drive I've had so far is 45 minutes and the cleat knob is still as tight as possible afterwards.
Thanks for any input!
Attachment 144

Attachment 145

evolution6972 05-12-2007 08:45 PM

i dont see why they would give the tie downs havent given out on me and i put them to the test but one thing i think about is hard stops what happends when some ass gets in front of you and stops hard bike will lung up so what i do is put a bungee or roap through the back tire and tie it to the back d rings no more bike movement on turns and nothing when short stops happen

spp 05-13-2007 07:49 AM

I didn't like the slop in the fit so I used some duct tape behind the cleat to tighten it up and used some straps to hold my tandem tight. Also push in real hard when tightening the knob and you can make it a little tighter. You could use 2 cleats and make it really secure but this was only a temporay mount for me until my shell arrived. Anyone need any of these I have 2.

evolution6972 05-13-2007 09:58 AM

i am interested in them i was considering buying some how much

EvilBetty 06-19-2007 10:42 AM

Still got em?

Silver_Jim 09-29-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacomaDave07 (Post 11214)
I have the Tacoma bike fork mounts that attach to the bed rail cleats for transporting bikes. I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with these. I have not, yet. The reason I ask is because the cleat rotates a few degrees and it can't be tightened more since the knob rachets(?) to prevent over-tightening. Since there is a little bit of rotation, the bike very noticeably rocks side-to-side whenever I back out of the driveway, turn a corner, hit a dip in the road. I'm wondering if the cleat could loosen over time and dump my bike on the freeway, tearing up my truck in the process. Longest drive I've had so far is 45 minutes and the cleat knob is still as tight as possible afterwards.
Thanks for any input!
Attachment 144

Attachment 145

thanks for the pics... btw, how many bikes do you think you can put side by side 2 or 3?

spp 09-30-2007 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver_Jim (Post 25436)
thanks for the pics... btw, how many bikes do you think you can put side by side 2 or 3?

That would depend on the width of the bikes bars now wouldn't it?
If you let some of it hang over the edge you should be able to get 3.

Silver_Jim 09-30-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spp (Post 25489)
That would depend on the width of the bikes bars now wouldn't it?
If you let some of it hang over the edge you should be able to get 3.

Yes, it would. Handle bars can always be turned so that really should be an issue. So I am estimating 3 but curious if anyone has done it?

Viper-2 10-01-2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evolution6972 (Post 11222)
i dont see why they would give the tie downs havent given out on me and i put them to the test but one thing i think about is hard stops what happends when some ass gets in front of you and stops hard bike will lung up so what i do is put a bungee or roap through the back tire and tie it to the back d rings no more bike movement on turns and nothing when short stops happen


The longest run-on sentence ever! :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM.