1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello OME and Hello TW

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Woodstocktaco, May 16, 2011.

1. May 16, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    Woodstocktaco

Woodstocktaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 ORDC 4X4
    3" OME lift, 885 coils, Dakar rears, diff drop
    Been lurking and learning for a while & figured it was time to join in the forum and tweak my truck a little.
    I have an '09 Super White, Double Cab, 4X4 with TRD Off Road package. I bought the truck loaded (luggage rack, bluetooth, etc..) and added leather seats and Go Rhino black cab length steps bars when it was new - otherwise it's stock. I have nothing but praise for this truck for it's "out of the box" reliability, ride comfort, looks and 4WD capability on mild trails.
    I just turned over 45K miles in the truck and started getting the itch to "do something" to it and since I'm pretty content with the factory wheels & trim - a slight lift seems the logical first step. I do some off roading in N. Ga., TN, NC & KY - mainly as a means to get somewhere I want to hunt or fish off the beaten path, but wouldn't call myself a "serious" off roader. My truck is my commuter for work and a tool to use for recreation. When I dented one of my step bars crossing a washed out stream bed I began a quest to give the truck a little more clearance without sacrificing it's utility too much.

Enough for the intro - now for the truck stuff.
    I just ordered a "complete" OME 3" lift kit (885 coils) from ToyTec including the "Dakar" rear leaf pack. I started having second thoughts about whether I really needed the rear leafs since I've had the TSB springs done on my truck. As with ever other car I've modded - I finally decided since I didnt really need any of it - the heck with it - and just ordered the whole package anyway. From what I've read here - everyone seems pretty happy with the OME stuff and it should be engineered to work well together, so we'll see in about a week. I thought about going with the 5100s for the adjustability - but I put adjustable shocks on other vehicles before and never touched them again, so why not go with simpler? As far as ride quality - it's a truck and as somebody else stated it already rides pretty soft, so if the OEM kit makes it a little stiffer I'm fine with it. Plus, the double cab is pretty heavy & I'm sure that will smooth out the road ride once it settles in.
    Hopefully, I'll be able to get the alignment into spec after the lift install since I'm sticking with the factory 16" wheels and OEM size tires.

Great site here with lots of good info! I'll post some pics with the new setup.
    Cheers - Tim

2. May 16, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Welcome aboard!

3. May 16, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    Welcome to TW, I used to live in Canton. Sounds like you're going to have a nice build going. :thumbsup:

4. May 16, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    you got right to the point.....

welcome to tw!

5. May 16, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    Bird

Bird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vail, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport

Mine are going on this week. I have found that there are not a ton of "needs" on this website but some awesome resources and great ideas.

Welcome to TW! :cheers:

6. May 16, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I installed the exact same OME kit last month , I'm happy with it .

The Dakars are a bit stiff in the rear if the truck is unloaded , but carry a load great .

Get UCA's to make sure you can get a proper alignment .

7. May 16, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Welcome!

I went with the OME kit as well, but instead of the dakar rear leafs I went with the add-a-leaf for my TSB rear leafs.

The ride is great, you will be happy.

8. May 16, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    TanderSON

TanderSON Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD A-Cab (mT)
    I have the same OME suspension on my AC and love it. It is a bit stiffer for sure with a dry bed, but I'm usually carrying a bunch of gear back there and that helps keep things smoother.

Installation was easy and as ARB states, no extras are required. The UCA's are fine, CV angles are great. Brake lines could be extended if you want but it isn't really necessary. I would recommend using the fitting kit for the carrier bearing as well.

Good luck!

PS: Post - installation alignment was no issue and actually revealed a slight previous allignment issue.

9. May 16, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    Woodstocktaco

Woodstocktaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 ORDC 4X4
    3" OME lift, 885 coils, Dakar rears, diff drop
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'm really looking forward to getting this kit installed and giving the truck a little "face lift". As for the rear springs - I occasionally tow a 19' boat for short distances, so a little extra payload capacity will come in handy from time to time. If my luck is good this fall - I'll hopefully be toting a couple of fat KY deer in the back to the processor too!

I was a little concerned about the lift causing excessive wear on my CV's or carrier bearings. This is why I went with "only" the 3" lift. I ordered the "diff drop kit" from ToyTec with my setup - what exactly is this and is that what I need to accommodate the increased diff drive angle resulting from the lift?

Sorry if these are silly questions. I am fairly mechanically inclined & have extensively modded several previous rides for drag racing (1966 GTO, 2006 built motor turbocharged Mustang GT, 2008 Shelby GT 500), but am new to off road modding. From past experience, I also know that modding is a disease - I'm going to try to keep it "under control" with this truck.....yeah, right!:D

10. May 16, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    whitetaco02

whitetaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Tinted windows, stainless steel drop hitch, rear TSB, Marathon seat covers in Realtree AP camo, low profile chrome toolbox, husky liners front and back, debadged
    Post up some pics man! Good luck with the lift!!:D

Products Discussed in

To Top