1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backup Camera

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EvilBetty, May 22, 2007.

1. May 22, 2007 at 6:01 PM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Ok, so I'm a DeVry drop out from an Electronics program back in 95', but I remember a thing or two from classes.

I'm attempting to put together a backup camera rig that I can use when hitching up a trailer.

The camera I am using has a 8v 50mW-A power requirement, and it came with a 8v power adapter. Reason I'm using it is because it's wireless and the receiver will work well with the 5.6" LCD chassis.

I'm afraid to try to shove 12v-13.5 volts into it. I don't want to fry it if.

What I am considering rigging is a resistor in series between a trailer harness and a DC Coaxial M connector I have from a dead A/C adapter.

Anyone care to check my math or critique my theory before I run to radio shack?

2. May 22, 2007 at 6:30 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    lol yeah I'm doing something wrong, it's remembering my Algebra!

Voltage/Current = Resistance

Code:
    12/.05=24R
    Load Voltage/Load Resistance = Resistor Voltage/Resistor Value

Code:
    8/24=12/R
    Right???:confused:

Some algabra wiz help me out.

3. May 22, 2007 at 6:36 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    what kind of camera are you using, if i may ask. and is it universal? i'm looking for a backup camera for my truck, but i dont want to pay for the pioneer ones

4. May 22, 2007 at 7:31 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    2 + 2 = 100volts/9ohms
    Take make things easier for you, don't listen to me!!!!

5. May 22, 2007 at 10:00 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    LOL I ended up figuring it out and running to Radio Shack before they closed. A 2Kohm 1/4W resistor gave me the 8v I needed.

I'm using this LCD...
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?In...-ProductSpecific_Text_9-11-2006&cm_cat=358129

And this camera... (similar)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Infrared-Wirele...3QQihZ006QQcategoryZ48632QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The camera will be installed above the license plate and plugged into the trailer harness for power when the lights are on.

The receiver will be mounted to the back of the LCD and plugged into the lighter socket for power.

When I need to use it I can pull the screen and receiver our of a storage compartment, plug it in, and sit it on the back of the fold down seat.

When I finish I'll post pictures if anyone wants them. This is a pretty thrown together solution but it will suit my needs till I decide on an in dash solution. Right now I'm not willing to spend the $2400 for what I want.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. May 23, 2007 at 4:42 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.

Why not use the 110V bed outlet or even a protable DC-AC converter and use your original step down transformer that came with your camera/LCD setup? I'm familiar with mV and mA but what is 50m-W? :confused:

7. May 23, 2007 at 7:05 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    The LCD and Receiver will both run on 12v, so I am bolting the two together and making a nice harness so that only a 12v lighter to coaxial plug needs to be plugged in.

The camera itself takes 8v. I don't have the built in power inverter, so to minimize setup time when I need it I wanted the camera installed ready to use.

It pulls 50mW... the 50mW-A (millawatt-amp) means something but I can't remember what :D

8. May 23, 2007 at 1:29 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    thats pretty sweet. i might have to get one of those to hook up into my head unit. i'd just run the receiver in the cab off the 9v or either a cigarette adapter...and the rear off of an adapter to the bed.

Products Discussed in

To Top