1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hail Damage: Who is Liable?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ShaneHD, May 25, 2011.

1. May 25, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    ShaneHD

ShaneHD [OP] Taco Tuesday

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma CrewCab TRD
    Over the last few months, I have been battling with Toyota to get this issue fixed:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...n-nation-complete-thread-60mph-vibration.html

Two days ago, I dropped off my truck again as they were putting in a new transmission. They apparently park the vehicles out in the parking lot overnight. I then had a loaner/rental given to me (third time now) and took it home. Last night, the DFW area took some very bad storms, including baseball size hail that hit my home. The rental was out in my driveway, took damage and I am ultimately responsible for this.

My truck was at the dealership. Late last night, I emailed with the service manager and my service rep. I asked for a quick status check of my truck for damages. Why? Because the same storm that hit my home traveled towards that dealership, ultimately pounding and damaging 70% of their inventory. It wasn't until I actually asked a second time in the middle of the day that my truck be checked and sure enough there was damage.

With me already having to claim the rental on my insurance, who is responsible for the damage to my truck? I will NOT be claiming two vehicles on my insurance. After 2 months of having my truck in and out of the dealership for repairs, I find that Toyota should have some responsibility in this as well.

Where do I go from here? The reason I am on here tonight is because I apparently do get to pickup my truck tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. May 25, 2011 at 10:52 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    If I was you, I'd call my insurance rep and ask them what they think. Get some advice from the pros. That being said, my thinking is if it was on the dealer's lot, then their insurance should cover the damage as they accepted receipt of your vehicle. But again this is really a question for the pros. Your agent should be able to tell you what to do.

3. May 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Your insurance or a 3rd party insurance ( if purchase at time of rental for the rental car) is responsible for the rental car. That's how it usually works when my dad rents a car. As for your truck,It should be the dealers. It was in their possession at the time of damage.

4. May 25, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Dont take possession of the truck until this is squared away. Its their resposibility on the truck while its in their possession.

Unfortunatly, the rental car is your responsibility.

5. May 25, 2011 at 11:21 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    I would talk to the insurance company, and maybe even a lawyer, before picking up your truck.

When I worked at a dealer, we were responsible for hail damage on customers cars.

If a else fails, and they start giving your grief, talk to a lawyer about the lemon law. They might get a different tone if you tel them fine, I want a brand new undamaged truck under the lemon law.

6. May 26, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    "Hail Damage: Who is Liable?"

Sue God.

7. May 26, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    Average JOE

Average JOE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    3'lift,Upgraded sound system,Dyanamat interior flowmaster,K&N,
    That's what I was going to say. As a joke. Please do not attempt to sue God. We will probably win anyway.

8. May 26, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Theres no liability for acts of nature pretty sure...

9. May 26, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    kbp68

kbp68 hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    There is no god. Sue Obama.

10. May 27, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    You need to submit a claim to your insurance company. The dealer is not responsible for hail, rain, snow, sunshine, or anything else on the weather channel. They would be liable for securing your vehicle and keys so it does not get taken while in their possession and for any damage caused by them. My Tacoma was at the dealer for a oil leak recall and some idiot employee opened the door of another vehicle into the side panel and chipped the paint. They are responsible for that damage. Hail claims are handled as a comprehensive claim, you would be responsible for the deductible. Invoke the lemon law in Texas for hail? I guess that they have hail lawyers in Texas also. If you find someone that is responsible for the hail let us know.

11. May 27, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    What fjm0008 said.

12. May 27, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    This. They make you sign that waiver when you take the loaner saying that your insurance will cover it when you have possession of it.

Or this: THIER insurance might have a waiver saying that any act of God will not be covered. Seriously. It might be in there so I'd try to find out. Keep in mind that they do have disclosures about flood and hail damage on some policies.

But don't sue God. That's a no no.

13. May 27, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Call a good lawyer, as soon as you can. funny how things change when a good lawyer calls someone!!!

14. May 27, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Read the fine print on the service contract you signed when you handed them the truck.

15. May 27, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    ericb

ericb I'm a very neat monster

Member:
    First Name:
    Dexter
    surface of the sun
    Vehicle:
    Truck So Good
    You are liable and the insurance on your vehicle. The dealer has a responsibility to keep your vehicle secure not protect it from natural disasters or an act of god..... which is what hail is. Call your insurance company and get it taken care of. I had hail damage from the big Phoenix hail storm and they paid my vehicle off and my insurance did not go up because it was not something I did. You will lose this one with the dealer legally and cause yourself more headaches than it is worth.

16. May 27, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    DOT

DOT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jobin
    Littleton CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ
    3'' toytec lift
    I work for a insurance company sounds like its going to be on you, Call file the claim on both cars the insurance company may try and go after toyota for the damages with their insurance company if they do you will get your deductible back.

17. May 27, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    your homeowners insurance should cover your rental truck, and whatever insurance the dealership has to protect their inventory should be extended to cover your rig. i have to believe that likewise if the truck was stolen from their lot, they would be responsible for example. you gotta have the worst luck bud, sorry to hear it.

18. May 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Why would the homeownwers insurance have to cover the rental? When ever your car is in the shop for any reason, your car insurance will carry over the car that you are renting. That's usual policy. If something should happen to the rental, the paying insurance company will want proof that your car was in the shop.

On a regular rental (just to use) it won't cover it.

Also, acts of God are not usually covered unless you have an inclusion on it to cover such. Even at that point it has to be specific, listing hail on the policy.

19. May 27, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
  20. May 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    Foxbat

Foxbat Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Step rails
    Most certainly talk to your agent. He is the licensed professional and should be able to steer you correctly. You might ask him if the dealer's garage keepers liability carrier should pay for the damage to your truck while in the care, custody and control of the dealer. To make certain everyone helps you and follows the law you should call, write or visit your state insurance department. I hope this helps. Hail sucks! :mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top