1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whistles from Thule Xsporter Racks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hhopcroft, May 31, 2011.

1. May 31, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    hhopcroft

hhopcroft [OP] New Member

Member:
    Brunswick, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
    The Thule Xsporter racks have an extruded bar with a set of rubber strips that fit into the extrusions. The strips will not STAY in there and the unit whistles loudly at most speeds when the strips fall out. I even tried glueing them in, but they still came out. My 2010 Tacoma will not let the bars down far enough to avoid the noise and would need them up, in any case, to actually haul anything.

How do people deal with these things??

2. May 31, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Odd. Thule usually makes solid stuff, although I have had issues with some of their cheaper bike racks.

Got any pics of where the issue is? Also, did you buy the kit new or used?

3. May 31, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I have big wide rack pads over both sides and both racks for kayaks and/or surfboards. Have never had issue with those strips staying put or any kind of noise from the racks but I don't leave the racks on the truck when not in use either so that might have something to do with it. Maybe put some sort of flat head screw through the strip on each end?

4. Jun 1, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    hhopcroft

Member:
    Brunswick, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
    I bought this unit new because it can be mounted on the rails inside the bed of the Tacoma. The strips (two sets of them now) have never stayed in. If I can figure out how, I'll attach a couple of photos.[​IMG][​IMG]

If the images are there, the one is the top of the bar. On the left is the slot and on the right is how it looks with the strip in place. The other photo is the end of the strip showing its flanges that are supposed to hold it in the slot.

5. Jun 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    I bought an xsporter 422xt rack about a month ago so I could mount my RTT and awning. I had trouble with the rubber strips they provide until I placed my RTT on the rack and the weight made them stay in place even after the tent was removed. As far as not being able to get the rack to go all the way down you can cut sections off like I did. I didn't want mine to go all the way down because I have a changing room with my tent and want to be able to use it.

6. Jun 1, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    hhopcroft

Member:
    Brunswick, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
    I tend to carry things like a ladder up there, so they have not ever seated the strips successfully -- and they do nothing for the underside strip in any case.

Interesting thought about cutting a section off the bottom of the racks. I'll have a look at that.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top