1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cargo Rack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kbp68, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    kbp68

kbp68 [OP] hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    [​IMG]

I really need cargo hauling ability for my DC SB because lets face it... we don't have a truck box, we have a large open trunk. I designed this bad boy to haul lumber, kayaks, bikes, etc. and want to know what you guys think. I plan on building it out of 2" and 1" aluminum tube to keep it light and painting it with black boxliner (textured) to match my ARB front bumper. What are your thoughts? Too much?

2. Jul 6, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    bump for better pic

3. Jul 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Thats pretty cool! I'm in the process of designing a bed rack myself. Did you use inventor?

4. Jul 6, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    yup

5. Jul 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Cool, that's what I'm using. I see you have bent the pipe in the front to clear the wheel wells. Looks like you are attaching it to the bolts in the floor of the bed. Thats a good idea. Depending on the weight you are planning to haul over the cab, you might want to add another pipe for horizontal bracing closer to the top of the rack. Above the bracing with the holes in it so that there isn't too much weight cantilevered over the cab pulling the front vertical post toward the cab of the truck. Just a thought.

6. Jul 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    I thought about that but don't really think I'll ever put much weight up front. Basically most of the weight should be On the 2" cabguard and the front would be to keep anything longer from bouncing off my roof. I would never bolt a spare up the or anything like that. I wonder if I could attach some type of rubber bumper things to the oem roof rack holes?

7. Jul 6, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    Looks awesome.

8. Jul 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    That thing looks awesome. I love the dimple die bracing. I'm not usually too into the over the cab lumber rack look but that thing looks BA! Now get to bending! And post up pics when you build it. Sub'd for updates

9. Jul 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    Any exhaust guys on here that could tell me if these bends are even possible? It was no problem at all on the computer and I did't even get my hands dirty!

10. Jul 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    Might be handy to have that top rear cross brace removable too

11. Jul 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    I'm no exhaust or tubing guy but it looks to me like the bend coming down to the bed might be little too tight in radius and maybe too close to the next bend. At least with the bender I've used that is. Guess it would depend on the method you use to bend them. I circled the ones i'm talking about. Otherwise it looks like it would be completely doable.

Cargo_Rack1.jpg

12. Apr 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!
    Same hear im no expert but i dont think its possible with bends but you could cut and weld something like that don't no how strong it would be structurally

Products Discussed in

To Top