1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I load 4 bikes like this?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sechsgang, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    sechsgang

sechsgang [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Hi all!
    I need to be able to transport 4 bikes max (rarely, most of the time just 2) while having room in the bed for camping gear and not using the hitch (a travel trailer will be back there). I also don't like the roof racks, seems kinda high to reach.

So here is my idea:
    use these L2S brackets and then these Yakima bike racks on top. See images below.
    Will I be able to fit 4 bikes? Of course, this will be crazy expensive - $800+ or so is my first estimate for a 4 bike setup. But will it work? How about alternatives, maybe less expensive?

Thanks a lot for any input!

I hope ppham444 does not mind me linking to his image. Let me know if you want me to remove it!

the rack:
    IMG_1430_9f1e2795efdcddfa0f30e6fec0e6603cf4487462.jpg

the bike holder:
    [​IMG]

2. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    the problem i see you running into is that you will have to alternate the direction they face to avoid the handlebars interfereing with one another. by doing so, two of the racks may not fit because the part that extends off the back to hold the rear tire might need to ocupy the same space as your window. get some good dimensions for the bike holder and see if it will fit. also, remember that the bed real system does not go all of the way to tyhe tailgate, so oyu cal only move it away from the window so much. if the measurements check out to clear the window though, fitting 4 of the yakima frontloader racks should be no problem. that is a break bike holder by the way. both my brother and myself have them and absolutely love them.

3. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    the handle bars will hit, so you can stagger them a bit, or put it like this (bike facing forward, bike facing backwards, bike facing forward, bike facing backwards)

if i can fit 3 full side dirtbikes in the bed of my truck, you can fit 4 mtn bikes:)

4. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    sechsgang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Thanks guys!
    I am thinking that if I would use cross bars that are a little longer than the ones shown in the picture above in my OP so that they extend maybe a foot beyond the bed on each side, I could mount two bikes (one left one right) outside of the clamps. (the bikes wheels would be right above the bed sides).
    Yes, in that case the handle bars would be sticking out the side of the truck, but I think that would not matter much because the trailer would be behind the truck, and that is even wider.

5. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    yeah i think that would be okay

6. Jul 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Yes, you would be able to do 4 bikes.

Do you have a strong desire to use a "wheel on" type mount? I might suggest using 2 of those (as most of your time you will only be dealing with 2 bikes) and getting a couple of these: http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-8002065.html
    to squeeze in between. These would also let you customize quickly for taller items that need to stick up a bit, adding a 3rd bike in the middle, etc.

Lastly, it would allow you to have all the bikes facing the same direction, as the bars will be ~13" lower using a fork mount.

And lastly - I only used fork mounts, but I could get 4 bikes on the top of my Jeep XJ with 44" bars, staggered. Should be no problem for you.

7. Jul 12, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    sechsgang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Thanks, guys!
    matt, good idea. I will most likely buy 2 bike mounts first and then play around with them, as I won't need to transport 4 bikes until next spring or so. Maybe the second pair will be fork mounts, you have some good points, especially with the height of the handle bars. I could put the removed front wheels in the trailer.

8. Jul 12, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    how much do those L2S brackets cost?

They look a lot like the ones I built

[​IMG]

9. Jul 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    sechsgang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Thanks all!
    After some more research, I ended up getting:
    this
    2x this and
    this (78")
    I'll get two more carriers later after trying it out with two for now.
    What I really like about these brackets is that you can set down the whole assembled unit on top of the bed sides and then attach / tighten the screws. That would be a little tricky with the L2S brackets, I'd think.

This looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top