1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Access Cab with Roof Rack for a Kayak?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thwam, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    thwam

thwam [OP] Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    New access cab owner here, and am curious as to whether a Yakima (or Thule) roof rack would be sturdy enough to haul a 12' kayak? I'm worried that the access cab doesn't have enough space in between the crossbars like the double cab and would allow the kayak to twist or break off while driving on the interstate.

I've been looking at other options, such as the Thule Xporter, which I really like, but I think I'd get more utility out of a roof rack setup.

BTW, please be gentle, I've never owned a truck before lol. :eek: I come from a sports car background.

Thanks for the help!

Todd

2. Jul 13, 2011 at 5:34 AM
    stratocaster1422

stratocaster1422 Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5
    Can you even get roof rack setups for the access cab? There's definitely not enough length to properly tie down a yak like that. On my access cab Dakota I had a Yakima Outdoorsman setup for two yaks (one 9' and one 11' I think). I just got my Taco and looking into seeing how the Outdoorsman can be adapted to working with our bed rail system. You're much better off going up high on the bed.

3. Jul 13, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Taco_Daniel likes this.
  4. Jul 13, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    thwam

thwam [OP] Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    stratocaster1422 - There are aftermarket racks by Thule and Yakima that use footpads on the roof and are held down with a hook inside the door that work with the access cab. I've seen the OEM rack modified that T@co_Pr3runn3r posted before, but that's getting pricey and I might as well go with the Thule Xporter at that point.

T@co_Pr3runn3r - Your pics are actually the reason why I was looking at the Xporter. :)

5. Jul 13, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    Banff2007Tacoma

Banff2007Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Black Sand Pearl TRD Offroad.
    GPS Navigation System, Old Man Emu complete lift with Dakar springs. Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT tires, KMC Enduro rims, Allpro E-locker guard. ARB Portable Air Compressor CKMP12. Backflip Tonneau Cover. Wet Okole seat covers.
    Yeah I would go with what T@co Pr3runn3r has too. That does look like its the shit and it looks sharp as well. However I did see this the other day. It might work for you.

http://c-tug.ca/index.php

6. Jul 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    thwam

thwam [OP] Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    That's nice, but that isn't a trailer. It's so that you can roll your kayak around without carrying it once you get to your destination. Thanks though! :)

7. Jul 13, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    Banff2007Tacoma

Banff2007Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Black Sand Pearl TRD Offroad.
    GPS Navigation System, Old Man Emu complete lift with Dakar springs. Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT tires, KMC Enduro rims, Allpro E-locker guard. ARB Portable Air Compressor CKMP12. Backflip Tonneau Cover. Wet Okole seat covers.
    I thought it was a trailer of some sort. I am just trying to get into kayaking so very new to this. Sorry about that. However I still would go with what T@co Pr3runn3r has. That thing looks awesome. Sorry again and good luck with what you choose.

8. Jul 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    maybe rig up a hitch mounted brace to extend your tailgate and support the rest of the kayak... ive seen it done by a guy at my work pretty simple and removable

9. Jul 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    thwam

thwam [OP] Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    No worries! I'm new to kayaking too. I shark fish from the shore and I've been using a $40 inflatable raft from Sports Authority and am tired of taking my life into my own hands everytime I row out 200 yards into shark infested waters lol. My buddies and I have nick named it the death dinghy. A kayak will be a heck of a lot safer, faster, and allow me to take the bait out further into deeper water. Good luck to you too!

Todd

10. Jul 13, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    thwam

thwam [OP] Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    I was looking into that option too, using a Harbor Freight bed extender and a single roof rack like the picture below. I'm trying to avoid putting a roof rack on my cab though, I'm worried about messing up the paint on my new truck. :eek:

[​IMG]

Todd

11. Jul 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    that concept but sit the kayak in the bed and extend the arm longer from the hitch and then support kayak, then no need for rack

12. Jul 14, 2011 at 4:37 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I looked into that setup, which is nice for one boat. But not sure about that handling 2 12ft 60lb boats and then having a 6ft bed and stuff hanging out 6ft further, might get some neg rep from da popo..........:D
    Although, when I was 5 minutes from the launch site at my old pad, I did just throw them in the back of the '82 prerunner with the tailgate down a coupla times with them just leashed in the bed with motorcycle tiedowns. I wouldn't go far like that tho, nor would I do any hwy action like that.

13. Jul 14, 2011 at 5:08 AM
    911-3.2

911-3.2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Sold - 2010 Access Cab 4x4 I4 SR5
    Curt Receiver Hitch, Access Literider Tonneau
    A 12 ft kayak should be fine in the bed. If you want extra piece of mind get the cheap bed extender from Harbor freight. It only extends beyond the tailgate another foot or so but it is plenty for a kayak that length. As long as you hang a flag off the end you shouldn't get in any trouble with the law.

I transport my 13ft Ocean Kayak that way all the time and I also sometimes put my wife's 12ft in as well. I've transported them both with and without the bed extender, but tend to use the bed extender on longer trips just to have the extra tie down point.

If you do go the roof rack route just make sure to tie the bow and the stern of the kayak down to the front and rear of the truck and you should be fine. The access cab roof is as long as most small cars so it isn't any worse than putting a kayak on top of one of those.

14. Jul 14, 2011 at 5:13 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I still have the Xsporters and they'll work on the reg cab just as good as the access cab I had so I'm good. I was talking about before I got them.

15. Jul 14, 2011 at 5:13 AM

52419 Well-Known Member

Member:
    someplace
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma lifted 6in on 35s
    fabtech 6in lift, 35.12.50.16s,on mt classics
    shoot just open up the rear slider and slide it on in no need to tie it down;)

16. Jul 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    thwam

thwam [OP] Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    I found a great deal on a Tracrac Tracone with bedrail adapters for $250 from Craigslist and pulled the trigger Saturday. It seems very sturdy, and there is no wind noise or whistling when driving, so I'm happy. It was kind of a pain to put on, as the clamps that slide into the bedrails didn't want to slide over the feet of the rack very easily. There are rubber pads that go underneath the feet, so I suspect some trimming will solve that problem. Overall though, I think it will be a good setup to haul my kayak. Thanks for the help everyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Todd

17. Jan 7, 2016 at 1:10 PM
    Jaysun

Jaysun Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD sport access
    led interior lights (red and cool white); Tan Soft Topper; led strip bed lights;
    Agree with Yakima as an option. Yakima q towers on my Subaru, bars are only 37" apart. I assume it wouldn't be any shorter on the access, but I am not certain yet. I carry a 16.5' Royalex canoe which is 75 pounds plus rigging, so maybe 85 pounds. I have used this rig many times a year for 6 years with no problems, including interstate and forest road driving. Always tie down bow and Stern! Plan on using on my 2016 access cab..... if it ever gets here. FB_IMG_1452200421798.jpg

18. Jan 7, 2016 at 2:21 PM
    evan

evan Well-Known Member

Member:
    SK, Canada
    9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

19. Jan 8, 2016 at 3:30 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I'll play.......reg cab rack action

20. Jan 8, 2016 at 7:53 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    This is what happens when you irresponsibly load with Q towers (or similar), both sides of truck are dented. My friend who does paintless dent repair said to just leave it as the paint will likely crack even if the dents can be pulled.

This is the best solution (using Yakima or similar)

Both pictures are my truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top