1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm scared after finding this Forum...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Liam1234, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Jun 3, 2007 at 11:15 PM
    Liam1234

Liam1234 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 DC, LB, TRD Sport, 4x4, Tow, Magnetic Grey
    Access Literider Tonneau Cover Auto Remote Start Nfab side steps
    :confused: I have read many Forums on the two cars I currently own... 2003 Land Rover Discovery and a 2004 Saab Turbo Wagon. Both cars known to be quirky and problematic. But what I read here on the 2nd Gen. Tacomas scares me. I know auto forums in general tend to bring problems to a much higher level of scrutiny and attract people with these problems but the consistenccy of these issues is what keeps me reading and reading.

I'm about (was about??) to pull the plug on a 2007 4x4 Double Cab V6 Auto Long Bed, TRD Sport. I have read with interest on the two issues I find to be major, the ticking and the vibration. The other consistent issues I notice are the noisy bed, surging at stops, thin paint. Also, I take notice that 2 people are going to arbitration and I hope a third will NOT go. (ricerocket that we still need to hear back from.).

With the reading of these posts and the most latest news on the many camshaft failures of the new 2007 Tundra V8, has me wondering if I should hold on to my LR Discovery and keep towing the trailer I have for when I wished I had a truck. (2 times per week at least) and my Saab is on a second set of rear shcoks becasue I often carry heavy heavy boxes and machinery. (I take the Saab 98% of the time do to distance from house and use the LR for towing. I would be giving the Saab to the wife. That way I have a reasonalbe vehicle on MPG (as compared to a LR) and can haul things and tow things (unlike the Saab).

I just love the look of the Tacoma double Cab long bed and have my heart set on it.

Guys/Gals:

Can you reassure me that Forums in genreal bring out the problems more and that I'm being a tad too nervous???

Thanks in advance. LOVE the FORUM

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Jun 3, 2007 at 11:43 PM
    tacomarrr

tacomarrr New Member

Member:
    like u said... it just picky people basically trying to get their truck runnin perfect.

IMO the more mods u get, the more problems ull have.

for example, the vibration: usually people only get it after getting a lift. but it can be solved by getting an aftermarket driveshaft. (around $300) tom woods makes one. its better anyways.

as for the ticking engine.. well, it ticks. thats how it sounds.

oh and you probably will get chips in your hood. NBD (no big deal). its a truck.

gl

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Jun 4, 2007 at 1:04 AM
    MarkC

MarkC Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yokota AB, Fussa-Shi, Japan
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 SR5
    2 inch spacer in the front, and homemade add a leaf in the rear, billet grille, bull bar
    what he said... it a TRUCK!! made to haul heavy shit, plow through woods, and stand up to all elemnts. they ride rough usally handel like a brick. after a couple thosand miles they tend to make nose. all in all Toyota is the best truck make out there I just 160k all stock components and still run it balls to the wall. don't get me wrong there are acouple lemons out there but no where near as many as Ford, GM, or Dodge! go enjoy yourself a new Tacoma!!!

4. Jun 4, 2007 at 5:26 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I have had very minor issues with my Tacoma. A noise here and there, but nothing that really bothers me. I have put 14,000 miles on my Tacoma in the past 5 months (I bought it Jan. 1st 07'). It has been the best purchase I have ever made. This is not to say there are not some lemons out there. Toyota is just like any other large company - they have some issues. You take the risk with ANY new vehicle. This is why I find good cars and drive them to 200K+ miles.

Of all the vehicles I have owned, this has been the second best purchase. My wife's 06' Rav4 V6 Sport 4WD is the BEST purchase I have ever made. (If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.) ;)

5. Jun 4, 2007 at 6:17 AM
    Duckman

Duckman n00b Extordinaire

Member:
    Somewhere on the River
    Vehicle:
    17 White TRD ORDC TECH 4X4
    I haven't any problems, yes I have a little less that 5k but I have not experienced any of the rants that some have posted. The only problem I have encored is that the flasher unit on the fuse box was not plugged in all the way and it was making my turn signals flash a little funny. I don't consider that anything. Go to ToyotaNation.com...gosh they have more people on the 05+ Tacoma board in one day that this one sees in 2 weeks. I think you will see a lot of happy folks over there also.

My last Tacoma I bought new and trade in with 233k...

6. Jun 4, 2007 at 6:58 AM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    I will have to tell you that I love my truck! Out of the 1000's of pickups that Toyotal sells.. there are only a minor few that has major issues.. but I'm sure that is with any brand of car/truck you purchase. nothing can be 100% perfect all the time.
    Some people are just major picky asses and will pick anything apart to find something wrong with it. Just drive the damn truck/car! hahaha My papa is the same way. He will find something wrong with anything that he drives, hell you can't even listen to the radio in his car without him trying to find a noice or something wrong.. some people are just like that.
    I'm enjoying the hell out of my DC Tacoma! I wouldn't take anything for it!

7. Jun 4, 2007 at 7:40 AM
    flyman767

flyman767 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've had my 07 for about 6 months and no major issues. As far as the reference to the camshaft on the new Tundra consider this: The defective camshaft that is of concern is only a from one 'outsourced' manufacturer. Toyota is in the process of identifying the outsourced manufacture and has 'voluntarily' elected not only to replace the camshaft but the entire engine. I have a GM which is on it's 3rd transmission because the 'outsourced' manufacturer had installed a bad by-pass valve that resulted in 'burning up' the preceding 2 tranny's . GM had knowledge of this but would not do a system wide recall but rather.. waited for the problem to surface before replacing the tranny's. I see this latest move by Toyota as one of being 'proactive' rather then 'reactive'. Toyota certainly has cases of bad customer service and limited cases of bad vehicles; however, IMO there limited to a smaller amount relative to most other manufactures.

8. Jun 4, 2007 at 7:44 AM
    Duckman

Member:
    Somewhere on the River
    Vehicle:
    WORD...... Flyman

9. Jun 4, 2007 at 10:10 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I love my truck and would recomend it to anyone. Most of the problems people are experiencing have been there from the start, they just didnt notice it untill later. Now that you have read about some of the problems, be aware of them during the test drive. If the truck vibrates or shutters, then mention it to the sales guy and don't buy it unless they fix it. Mine doesn't surge, but if the one you test drive does then don't buy it and mention the problem to the sales guy. Some stuff is not a big deal... like bed noise. I use to drive a 1979 Ford F100 in high school... this truck rides like a Mercedes compared to that. Trucks have come a long ways but they're still trucks. They're not aerodynamic, they're built with heavy duty parts, and they're built as a tool to use for hauling and towing. Because of all that they're not going to be 100% smooth and flawless. So keep that in mind when shoping. I couldnt be happier with mine, it rides smoother than anything else i have ever owned, but will definately take some getting use to if you're previous vehicles are land rovers and saab's. Tacomas are a little more rustic than both of those vehicles. Anyway, my advice is to go for it, just be VERY aware when you are test driving.

10. Jun 4, 2007 at 2:42 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    just get the truck!! minor problems once in a long while versus alotta big problems every once in a short while( the big 3 so to speak).......need i say more??? and on the plus side......the tacoma just looks better...period!!

get the truck......you'll be happy you did!!

11. Jun 4, 2007 at 3:01 PM
    Liam1234

Liam1234 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 DC, LB, TRD Sport, 4x4, Tow, Magnetic Grey
    Access Literider Tonneau Cover Auto Remote Start Nfab side steps
    Thanks for the feedback! I would say I will be a proud owner in the next 3-4 weeks. Finding a double cab, long bed, 4x4, with TRD Sport is a rare thing. THe only colors delaers have are the silver streak. I saw that many of you are from the SE and wehn I went to the toyota website to "build" my vehicle, I put in a zip code of Florida. I'm shocked at teh vastly different amount of options available to customers in the SE. backup camera, bluetooth wireless, mirrors with turn signals, parking sensors, leather, and many other small things.

In the NorthEast, you get plain, SR5, TRD #2.

The inventory of the doublcab longbed 4x4 is huge as compared to New England.

12. Jun 4, 2007 at 3:27 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

welcome to the south:D!! we arent as slow as northerners think we are;)!

13. Jun 5, 2007 at 1:05 AM
    dholland

dholland Member

Member:
    good to hear you've been persuaded Liam1234. i have an '07 sr5 prerunner v6 and can say wholeheartedly that it was a faaar better purchase than my previous ford f-150 xlt. in EVERY way

14. Jun 5, 2007 at 4:56 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Tacomas = King of the Road.

you wont regret it.

15. Jun 6, 2007 at 10:08 AM
    AWDios

AWDios Member

Member:
    I love mine and everyone that rides in my truck loves it too.

16. Jun 6, 2007 at 10:43 AM
    Critter

Critter Well-Known Member

Member:
    No worries buy the Tacoma I just bought one after having 3 Nissan trucks previously! For my money theres only 2 Midsize worth looking at the Frontier & the Tacoma the rest well they all got to many issue/problems. Like I said I had no problem going from Nissan to Toyota after years of good service with Frontiers & Hardbodies. The time, truck & price we're just right to buy! Critter's nearing 60 so if this truck lasts like other Tacoma's it maybe my last pick'em up ! Just buy what you want be happy,sometimes you just gotta go for it! Toyota seems to be dealing at least in my area I never before had Toyota trying so hard to get me in a Tacoma Crew 4x! I traded an 06 Frontier King Cab 4x4 they gave me 130% Kelly Blue Book in Trade that made the deal!
    Anyway Toyota maybe trying to solidfy the #1 spot as Auto mfger from GM and doing more dealing. Now maybe the time to check them out!

17. Jun 6, 2007 at 12:39 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    I love my Taco! Yeah once in a while it makes a noise, but it runs great. Also, this is a forum...this is where people come to bring up issues and maybe gain some worthy advice and feedback. So of course you are going to hear about problems. Plus nobody writes about how good their vehicle is running, and nobody really cares either, because they come to expect it from the vehicle they own. Of the thousands of Taco's out there, how many actually have a major problem? I'm guessing a very small percentage. Don't let forums scare you...go get yourself a Taco!

18. Jun 6, 2007 at 5:51 PM
    Duckman

Member:
    Somewhere on the River
    Vehicle:
  19. Jun 6, 2007 at 6:02 PM
    MarkC

MarkC Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yokota AB, Fussa-Shi, Japan
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 SR5
    2 inch spacer in the front, and homemade add a leaf in the rear, billet grille, bull bar
  20. Jun 6, 2007 at 7:57 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    I am going to put my 2 cents in here, being a former Saab tech for 25 years and having owned both Saabs and Toyota's Usually, the ticking noise is the injectors which most cars have and do make that noise. Sometimes its valve noise that you can pick up which is also normal unless it gets unusally loud which does indicate a problem. Saabs were and are still known for this. Quality control on Saabs have gone downhill since GM took it over and I think that alone speaks for itself. Land Rovers are just a high maintenance vehicle.

I think sometimes these complaints that are aired in the forums are by persons who never owned a toyota and just creating problems. After reading it, suddenly you become aware of the most minor things and think you have a major problem too. I know of one that owns a chevy, loves it, and goes into a Nissan forum, makes up some crap, and suddenly, everyone has that same symptom. Kinda reminds me of Yahoo chat where one person spreads a rumor that yahoo chat will stop being a free service and you must pay for it, lol!

Bottom line here is this, I work for a Toyota dealership, and to this day, I have not seen one tacoma come in with a vibration or ticking problem. I have not seen one tacoma come in at any mileage with tranny failure, engine failure (at the sametime) at low mileage either. But, what I have seen is some spoiled kid, whose daddy bought the truck for him, abuse the living crap out of it, and then blames it all on poor quality and its toyota's fault. Is it possible for an engine or tranny to fail at early mileage, Yes it is, it happens to any make or model, I am not saying it cant happen, but its rare.
    The ticking noise is normal.
    The vibration is not and should be checked out. It could be anything from a out of balance wheel to a driveshaft and even a sway bar bushing. It even could be from mud caked on a wheel.

I have owned 8 Saabs from the 2cycle to the turbo fuel injected. I have owned 6 toyota trucks from 1988 to my present 07 4x4 Tacoma and I will never own anything but toyota's now. My daughter, both my sons, even my gf and her daughter all own toyota's of different years and we are all quite satisfied with them.

The Tundra is having its problems which is camshafts and ball joints at the moment. Chevy trucks had similar problem with cams and ball joints also, but it took years for GM to admit to it and then only by having the govt step in to force them to fix it. Toyota is quite aware of it and took steps on its own to fix the problem. Look at the overall picture though, how many recalls has Ford, Dodge and Chevy experienced compared to Toyota?? As far as I know, Ford, Dodge and GM are all rolling recalls, and never will make a quality vehicle like Toyota does and stand 100% behind it. One more thing, we have a former Chevy tech working with us on toyota's and his major complaint, he cant make money working on them like he did on chevy. He gets paid not hourly but on the job he has to do. So far, he has only PDI's and oil changes, so go figure.
    I have said my 2 cents worth and getting off my soap box again!

P.S. Welcome to the forum liam, as a former pilgrim who lived in Ma. (cape cod) and keep going back there!

Products Discussed in

To Top