1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lug Nut Stud

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeckel7234, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    05 Taco DCLB 4.0 6-lug prerunner

So ladys and gents, 2 of my lug nut studs just broke while driving down the road, i need to change them, is that going to be a pain in the ass, or is it just replacing bolts
    Thanks

2. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    jeckel7234

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    anybody???? i just called up brake king and they said they could do it for $50, so i guess no matter how much it eats at me to have somebody else do it, it needs to be done i guess

3. Aug 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    youngblood1856

youngblood1856 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sterling
    Tyler, tx
    Vehicle:
    05 Trd off road 4x4 6 speed
    URD air intake, 3" lift, 16" Micky Thompsons classic w/ simulated bead locks, 33" Toyo MT's, exhaust, ATO skids, and okoles.
    hey man just saw this i broke one last friday but it was the toyotas shop fault for not tightening them up. I am taking it in thursday to get them replaced I will see what tool and how they do it and let you know. Also my boss mentioned maybe using and EZ out tool if you could make it work but no promises.

4. Aug 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Should be a fairly easy replacement. Did it do anything else to the truck that you are aware of?

5. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    jbrenn

jbrenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    allen texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5
    I had one come lose the lug nut still attached to it. I cut if off with a dremel tool. Got a new one from auto zone. The repair manual says that a special tool is require do get them out. To instal a new one was put it in place put washers over it and tighten it. The repair cost less then $2. That was like 3 years ago.

6. Aug 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    demesauce

demesauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner
    3" Lift, Tonneau Cover
    I replaced one of mine a few months ago. The hardest part (which isn't very hard) is taking the dirty, dusty rotor off

7. Aug 25, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    jeckel7234

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    i changed my brakes 2 days before it happened, i just got an impact wrench too a few days before that im pretty sure i over torqued the lug nuts, nothing else got messed up as far as i can see, they charged $51 to change three of the studs, which i was okay with since i had class the next morning, but i was in a pissy mood all day, i just hate paying a shop to do any work, i think the last time i took anything to a shop was when my transmission went out on my chevy, 5 years ago. and theres a few youtube videos about it and they pretty much show slamming them out with a big hammer and then slidding the new studs through the other side, slide a bigger nut down the shaft of the stud and torque the lug nut on to press it in

8. Aug 25, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    Fodder4U

Fodder4U Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    The Colony, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Stock for now.
    Yep that is all there is to it. back when I was a young driver many moons ago I sheared off 5 of 6 lugs on the rear passenger tire of my 76 K5 Blazer (got about 6' of air on a motorcycle jump long story..) and I was clueless on how to do them. I took it to a shop and watched them and could not believe how easy it was and was PO'd that I paid $30 for it to be done. But that was before the internet.

9. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    Bodete

Bodete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top