1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

flexlite electric cooling fan installation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by supralight, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Oct 7, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    supralight

supralight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Don't really know where to put this.

I'm looking to buy the flexalite cooling fan for my 2011 tacoma:

http://www.autoanything.com/coolers/61A5353A0A0.aspx

Before buying, I want to be sure I can actually install the thing. Having looked through the instructions, I'm at easy with most of the steps, but this one is causing me problem:

5. (Mandatory) With air conditioning, connect the "C" terminal on the control module to the positive wire that triggers the A/C compressor using the small diameter green (14 AWG) wire.Using a voltmeter, determine which wire coming from the compressor is the positive trigger wire. Use the 3-way connector (included) to tap into this wire and send a signal to the fancontrol module. The fan will cycle on and off with the A/C clutch when the A/C is turned on.

Looking at my AC compressor, does anyone know about where I have to look at these wires? Also, how do you advise me to take the readings, if it's a wire and a plug? Also, if anyone knows the actual color of the positive wire, it would also help.

Thank you.

2. Oct 7, 2011 at 9:51 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Do you really have a need for that?

3. Oct 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    That is not the question. Thank you.

4. Oct 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I've never seen anyone discussing these on this forum until now. Benefits?

5. Oct 7, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    1- For cold climate like here: faster warm ups of the engine, so faster heating of the cabin.

2- MPG gains (due to less parasitic drag on the engine, and a faster warm-up)

3- Some minor power gains (this one I don't care)

6. Oct 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
  7. Oct 8, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    both 2 and 3 are probably iffy... but not worth quibbling about

lets add a couple

4- Better A/C performance in summer stop-go and slow speed driving. Just be sure to wire the fan to be on when A/C's on.

5- MUCH quieter operation; no ROAR when starting up

6- install a fan cut-off switch the cabin, then turn off fan before fording deep and you'll never sling muddy water all over the engine bay again. try doing that with a belt driven fan!

7- throttle response at low speed is improved because the drag of the fan is removed

8. Oct 8, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The OEM clutch fan doesnt have as much drag as alot of folks think. The difference between the E fan, and OEM fan cant be measured on a dyno. The OEM fan basically free wheels when its not engaged. Open your hood, and give it a spin with your hands....You'll see how easy it is to turn. Also, the E fan will generate more drag on the alternator. So any "gains" are going to be a wash. As for faster warm ups, that may be, but being in AZ, I could never really test that. Hit up PD3 and see what all he had to do to get his installed.

9. Oct 9, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Thank you for that great piece of advice. My 2011 has the purple wire. will make things way easier by going directly from the fuse box.

And chris4X4, I'll look up PD3, but reading the installation manual, installation seems to be easy enough.

Thank both of you for advices.

10. Oct 9, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Installation is easy. However, Getting the fans to turn on at the correct temp, is a little more difficult. You need an accurate temp gauge, as the gauge on the dash will read "Operating temp" at around 130*, and will not move from its spot until about 215* to 225*, or more, at which point you risk over heating. Aslo, The OEM fan moves a shit load of air. IIRC, PD3 ended up going with a 3800 CFM fan, as the others didnt move enough air.

11. Oct 9, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What is the difference between any old electric fan and this super expensive one?

12. Oct 9, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Is PD3 the guy who mounted the fan into the existing shroud? I think that's also really important for maximum cooling efficiency because it draws air through the all of the radiator, not just the part under the fan itself. His how-to wasn't on TW though. He cut a piece of aluminum sheet, riveted it into the shroud pening and then mounted the electric fan to that.

saugus: dunno know expensive this one is but don't cheap out on an electric fan. you'll just be replacing it really soon if ya do.

13. Oct 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    Underdog777

Underdog777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    You can't go wrong with the flexlite man. Yes your alternator is going to get a work out. No your truck isn't going to overheat. Have had the fan for a good while now, and it has not let me down. It's simple to install (as the point has already been made) make sure you wire it to come on when you kick on the a/c.

14. Oct 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
  15. Oct 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    Subscribed.
    Supralight, If you do this, please document your installation.

16. Oct 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    yeah, IIRC, He tried the existing shroud, then made a custom one, and got a different fan, and controler.

17. Oct 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    It's definitely good advice to learn from others' experiences... looking through his article, though, I don't see where he changed from the modded shroud, but he did add a small SPAL fan to the transmission cooler for towing.

18. Oct 10, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Did this on my 09, I was more comfortable tapping into this wire in the fuse box and having some level of element protection. Also I soldered, shink tubed and liguid taped the connection.

Be aware that this wire is the AC compressor clutch ON signal, not the AC system ON signal, as they are different. Fan turns on when compressor is engaged, not when AC is switched on.

Just to re-iterate what has been said, I saw no perf/mpg gains, nor did I notice any AC perf gains. Quieter startup, yes, less roar when low-speeding it when hot, yes. I'm not sure if the $400 was worth it, but it's on now and will stay there.

Products Discussed in

To Top