Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   2012 Whistling sound indentified (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/189392-2012-whistling-sound-indentified.html)

Appljaxx 11-23-2011 07:32 AM

2012 Whistling sound indentified
 
My only complaint with the new 2012 tacoma has been a consistent whistle that begins at 40 mph and gets louder as I drive it. I can hear it over the music and it has been driving me totally insane.

Incidentally, when i took the problem to toyota they had me drive 2 other brand new trucks and they all made the exact same sound. Thus, they would not fix it. They said the truck was factory spec. I told them the whistle was driving me insane, but they didnt care.


I started taping up parts of the front end and then driving around until i located the source. The sound is from the front grill, there is a small gap between the grill and the hood filled. The weather stripping is weak and when you hit 40 it bends and the air passing through makes a whistle.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...IMG_110810.JPG
1.4" plastic drip line. Just shove it inside the weather strip and presto.*
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d.../IMG_11068.JPG
Credit to USMC91 for posting fix.

Appljaxx 11-23-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 (Post 4076388)
talk to Craig (homertaco)

wilco ty

Thy Lj 11-23-2011 07:42 AM

i just picked my 2012 up about 3 weeks about and havent heard this noise you speak of yet now you gonna have me listing for it..\: ill let you know if i do hear it boss

johnnyman1 11-23-2011 08:05 AM

I have a 2012 and I have not heard that noise. I did put in a crazy audio system in so maybe it was hiding the sound. I will drive with my music off and see if I can hear it.

Thy Lj 11-23-2011 08:18 AM

what kind of sys did you put?

johnnyman1 11-23-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thy Lj (Post 4076583)
what kind of sys did you put?

Kenwood HU DD, Pioneer speakers/front/back/tweeters, Kicker 5way amp behind passenger side back seat, Kicker 10" sub/shallow behind driver side back seat with custom fiberglass/wood enclosure. I had an installer do it. This was beyond my capabilities. Its pretty noisy. :)

tpr676 11-23-2011 09:43 AM

So this noise is (a) grill or (b) windows ? Some have some don't I guess I will find out shortly sure hope I am one of the don't.

DIVERMAN 11-23-2011 05:01 PM

thanks for the info! i haven't heard it on mine yet, but i haven't driven it a lot either.

r6hokie 11-24-2011 09:17 AM

I had this problem of whistling noise and took it to the dealer, they replaced the front grill because it was installed without insulation, the dealer said a tsb may be coming soon!

After getting the new grill installed, I still here the noise

I plan on taping up the front end this weekend and looking for the noise

walleyeguy 11-27-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appljaxx (Post 4076378)
My only complaint with the new 2012 tacoma has been a consistent whistle that begins at 40 mph and gets louder as I drive it. I can hear it over the music and it has been driving me totally insane.

Incidentally, when i took the problem to toyota they had me drive 2 other brand new trucks and they all made the exact same sound. Thus, they would not fix it. They said the truck was factory spec. I told them the whistle was driving me insane, but they didnt care.


I started taping up parts of the front end and then driving around until i located the source. The sound is from the front grill, there is a small gap between the grill (black plastic) and the outer frame. I'm working on a fix.


I plan on doing a satoshi mod once i find the right person. I'm sure that will fix it.

I have the same whistling problem with my 2012. Can you post of picture of the area you found to be the issue. I was planning on starting to tape off my windshield and take it for test runs to see if I could location the problem area.

The local Toyota dealership told me there was nothing wrong with my truck. Normal road noise, B.S.!

r6hokie 11-28-2011 12:38 PM

my truck is still making the noise but the installed the new grill wrong, one of the tabs is not seated properly, taking it back tomorrow for them to fix, will update after

cpaul 11-28-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r6hokie (Post 4099880)
my truck is still making the noise but the installed the new grill wrong, one of the tabs is not seated properly, taking it back tomorrow for them to fix, will update after

Can you post up some pics, maybe of the back side of the grill? I'm curious what you meant by an "insulated" grill.

r6hokie 11-28-2011 09:32 PM

If I determine the grill is the problem I will do that

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpaul (Post 4099987)
Can you post up some pics, maybe of the back side of the grill? I'm curious what you meant by an "insulated" grill.


warriors_03 11-29-2011 08:26 PM

Subscribed. Please update when you have information. I have a 2012 DC LB 4X4 and I can hear a faint whistle as well from time to time.

r6hokie 12-01-2011 05:07 AM

Noise is still there, replacing the front grill did not help

2011TacomaSR5 12-01-2011 06:24 AM

Wow, I am glad I got a 2011. It's just a 2.7 with a non-scooped hood and here in Wyoming I have driven into some of the nastiest head winds for 70+ miles and only sound to be heard is the wind beating against the truck.

r6hokie 12-01-2011 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
attached is a taping layout that for now, has stopped the noise, I think, it has only been 24 hours.....

I will continue problem solving and seeing with causes the noise on my truck, hopefully it will help others

Notice the only part of the windshield taped is at the bottom corners

johnnyman1 12-01-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r6hokie (Post 4116667)
attached is a taping layout that for now, has stopped the noise, I think, it has only been 24 hours.....

I will continue problem solving and seeing with causes the noise on my truck, hopefully it will help others

Notice the only part of the windshield taped is at the bottom corners

LOL,, dude that is awesome!!! "Scientific Method" all the way. I knew those science courses were not a complete waste.

Good job.

walleyeguy 12-01-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r6hokie (Post 4116667)
attached is a taping layout that for now, has stopped the noise, I think, it has only been 24 hours.....

I will continue problem solving and seeing with causes the noise on my truck, hopefully it will help others

Notice the only part of the windshield taped is at the bottom corners

If you remove the tape that is on the bottom corners of the windshield does the noise come back?

r6hokie 12-03-2011 09:53 PM

I think the noise is coming from the front under the hood, the weatherstriping has gaps in it, more tomorrow if I have a chance to take some of the tape off and drive it


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 AM.