1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Optima Yellow Top or Odyssey Battery

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rellik01, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Opinions, Experiences. Am trying to decide between both.

2. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I've got an Optima yellow top and I don't have any complaints about it.

3. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Optima Red Top..... the differences between the Red Top and Yellow Top are really minor, the Red Top has a highter CCA rating, and you can expect the Yellow Top to last slightly longer..... But otherwise identical.

And before anyone starts to flame me for saying there is a difference.... Save it... I've heard it all, and know someone who used the Red Tops in an electric car back before the Red Tops hit mainstream.

4. Nov 23, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    Rellik01

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
  5. Nov 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    Yea I also heard the sears diehard platinum are the same as Odyssey just different packaging. I have had the yellow top and it worked great in my jeep with winch

6. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I asked this question several years ago on this forum and another forum and the answer from some of the "off-road pros" ... especially if they "winched" a lot ... their choice was mostly .... Odyssey

I put a Optima Yellow Top in my wife's last Subaru and that was a fantastic battery. Never had an Odyssey though ... and have not seen them in any of the auto supply stores either.

7. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    My red top was crap. Horrible at holding a charge. My old school diehard gold was much better. Lasted over two years longer.

8. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Yellow top FTW!

[​IMG]

9. Nov 23, 2011 at 7:37 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    Rellik, why are you replacing your battery? You have the group 27f Truestart, no? Truestart has an 84 month warranty with 2 year free replacement and higher reserve capacity than a Yellowtop.

10. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    Hophornbeam

Hophornbeam Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Adamant, VT, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Double Cab SR5 longbed
    A suggestion, if it's OK to suggest another option not among the original choices.

Caterpillar battery.

As in the bulldozer company. They sell batteries that will fit a huge range of applications. Their batteries are made by one of the best manufacturerss- East Penn- but to particularly rigorous specs for Cat. Designed to perform as starting batteries, but with far more amp-hour capacity for non-running loads compared to usual vehicle batteries. I put a set in my last vehicle- a 1989 Ford diesel- and they completely put to shame the prior batteries, which were of a very reputable make and only 2 years old.

The Cats also are not way-expensive for what they are- more than a discount store battery, but less than Optimas, Odysseys, or DieHard Platinums.

11. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    I also have a 2500w stereo that the battery couldn't handle and took a dump fast, my headlights would almost turn completely off when the bass hit. This battery rocks, it's the biggest yellow top made, headlights don't even dim now. At all. Been in the truck for 3 years, still works like new.

12. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Oops, it just dawned on me that that question was directed to the OP. Sorry.

13. Nov 24, 2011 at 6:03 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No worries. You using any capacitors?

14. Nov 24, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    Rellik01

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    My sons car needs a new battery and would like to "donor" the battery from my truck and replace with something good.

15. Nov 24, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You have an inverter in your truck? If so, you already have a good battery. Truestart 27f is a beast made by Johnson Controls. Check specs. If you only have 24f or a Panasonic, I could see why you might want an upgrade, but your stock battery still has a great warranty. Still rocking my original 5.5 years of Ohio weather later and will buy another from Toyota when it finally dies. If anything, buy a red top for your boy and hang onto that Truestart!

On another note, I have a bud who works for an auto electric repair shop and he prefers interstate megatron over optima.

16. Nov 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    Rellik01

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    If upsizing what is the largest battery that will fit without to much modification?

17. Nov 24, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    Rellik01

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    What size batteries and do you need to add a switch?

18. Nov 24, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    --- ^^^ ... That sounds like a neat idea ... but I did not know that you could put "dual yellow tops" in that OEM space and have it fit. How do you do it and like the post above asked ... what "Optima Yellow Top" models did you use ?

Or did I read this wrong ?? ... :confused:

19. Nov 24, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    If 2 yellow tops can fit in the stock locaton I want to see it, as well as why you would do that. :confused: I also want to see the stereo in a Tacoma that needs a 50 farad capacitor, I thought I had the biggest stereo on this forum. :D

20. Nov 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    Rellik01

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Still wondering which batteries would fit for a twin setup.

Products Discussed in

To Top