1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tried to Purchase New..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Supra TT, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Dec 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT [OP] Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Well as stated above. I went to the dealer to see what they would give me on my 2008 TRD OR 4 door with 114k miles. They offered me 16.5k.. Which I believe I could have gotten a little more, but none the less. New trucks as we know are 32k, they didn't have any 11' and so I was stuck with the '12. Price tag of 32.5k. I know I could have talked them down to 30k.

Moral of the story.. Didn't match the payments I was looking for monthly so I said no :( Damn..

Is it worth trying other stealerships for matching my price range? Would any dealers offer me more or even less for trade in? I tried my chances at the Coon Rapids, Mn dealer, Carlson Toyota.

2. Dec 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Some guy in Florida just said he was getting his for 28500.. I got mine (2011) for 29500.

They gave me 22k for my 07 with 51 k. So...i would try other dealerships.

3. Dec 23, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    Thundjet

Thundjet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012, V6, Sport TRD, Auto, 4 wd
    First thing is, forget the matching of payments. This gives a dealership the opportunity to get you into a long financing option at a low rate without you noticing they screwed you on your trade in or the price of the truck.

Second, doesnt matter what you pay for it some asshole will tell you he paid $2,000 less and you got screwed.

Find a dealer who is comfortable to talk to and don't worry about getting that last dollar back into your pocket.

I just paid $33K out the door for a 2012 Sport TRD, 4wd, Auto, V6, with JBL audio/nav, trailer towing package, black tube running boards, all weather mats and roof rack. I was treated with respect and curtesy the entire time. Was told to take it on a long test drive as well and offered 2.75 financing for 72 months.

I am sure others paid less than I did but it doesnt matter to me.

If possible, sell your truck on craigslist and then go in and discuss price. You will end up better in the long run.

4. Dec 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    Toyoghi

Toyoghi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Solid tri-fold Tonneau, Deezee Bed mat, Pop n Lock.
    I would tell them that another dealership is offering it to you for X amount of money, and if they give it to you for Y amount you'll buy it. That's what I did and the dealership wanted to make a sale so they sold me my 2011 DCLB 4x4 for 25,800 + Tax... Which is really really good in Canada.

5. Dec 23, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    GoDeacsWFU23

GoDeacsWFU23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Clemmons, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport

I would also especially since it does have higher mileage. And I am sure you owe less on it then what they offered you so you could take that money and either make a down payment on it or take it and start the mods ASAP!

6. Dec 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    +2. Wait for a total redesign before trading up.

7. Dec 23, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Good tips.. :cool:

Mods are nonesense, I have my SAS 1st gen to mod :D

I was in no hurry to trade it, I was just curious as to see would I could get out of it.

Truck takes its beating, tows my 1st gen a lot and who knows on the maintenance it has had previous of my ownership.

8. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    Dont drive dealer-to-dealer to compare prices. Get with the times! Send emails to all your local dealerships, telling them what you want and what offers you've gotten so far. Tell them you are looking to buy at or below invoice price. Generally speaking the internet/fleet guys are much easier to work with than the floor salesmen. (less pushy, more willing to haggle, etc.)

9. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Try again on New Years eve, that's when I bought mine.

10. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    +1 with zul, email as many dealers as you have, here in Houston there are probably 10 and I emailed them all. Got my 2011 for 27k with every option and have me free Nfab running boards w/ 125k mile warranty. I hate stealerships.

11. Dec 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Hmm... also good tips, thanks. Will try.

12. Dec 23, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    Thundjet

Thundjet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012, V6, Sport TRD, Auto, 4 wd
    Another thing to take into consideration is to have a price in your mind that will get you to buy the truck.

It is unreasonable to expect a good price if your not even sure what price will convince you to complete the transaction. The strategy that works best for me is to offer the dealer what I feel is a fair price with the comment "If you will sell it to me at that price I'll give you a nonrefundable deposit right now".

Many people hate dealerships and they have their reasons. But put yourself into their shoes for just a minute, why should they spend a lot of time with a "customer" if the customer does not even know what it will take for them to buy.

One last tip, if you want to compare dealer against dealer don't say dealer X will sell it for this price unless you can show proof by having it in writing. Ofter times the same person owns more than one dealership in a local area and they act like they compete against each other but they really don't.

13. Dec 24, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    TJ Asher

TJ Asher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '10 Virgin
    Always best in my opinion to buy toward the end of the month or year. Sometimes dealerships are willing to take a little less profit in order to make quotas.

There are lots of other Toyota dealers in the Minneapolis area. Give another one a call to see what inventory they have or can get.

When I wanted to get my Taco nobody had what I wanted but I found a dealer that could get it for me by trading inventory with another dealership so I went with them.

Products Discussed in

To Top