1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mudding/4 wheel drive

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Manofs, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Jul 1, 2007 at 5:49 PM
    Manofs

Manofs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok before i begin i have to say this is my first truck, and this is my first 4x4 system. i was driving lastnight and wanted to know how the 4x4 system worked, so i shifted into nuetral and turned it on. well as i was driving my rpms were really high, and the truck wasnt going fast at all like 40mph at the most, and the engine seemed to be working really hard. once i noticed the rpms were pretty high i stopped and turned off the 4x4 system. my rpms were at about 4700 almost 5000, is this normal, did i do something wrong......? thanks for yalls help

2. Jul 1, 2007 at 10:09 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    Did you put it in four wheel low? if so that is normal, it puts it into a low gear and will make you go slower per/ rpm but gives you a lot more traction. However you should only use it when your going through some really rough stuff. You shouldn't run your four wheel drive on the street too much though use it for the dirt, mud, snow, sand etc, not so good for the transfer case on the pavement.

3. Jul 1, 2007 at 11:51 PM
    Manofs

Member:
    yea, it was in 4 low.....so i cant really go fast when in 4 low, what at 4 high, what is that meant to be used for. because i am suppose to go mudding this upcoming weekend, what would u suggest, any tips, it will be my very first time, any stupid mistakes beginners make that i can watch out for.

4. Jul 2, 2007 at 4:20 AM
    Map06TRD

Map06TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    do your trail in 2 wheel drive. then hit the 4hi when u need it, and if u get stuck or need to climb somthing then 4lo and locker if your an trd offroad..

5. Jul 2, 2007 at 11:16 AM
    Manofs

Member:
    hey, since i am a novice on 4x4 could someone explain each of the gears of the 4x4 system. could u tell me when to use them and what each one means......yea i know.....pretty sad question

6. Jul 3, 2007 at 9:43 AM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    The 2wd mode is for every day driving, and light off road use, 4wd high is for moderate off road use or on snow, what it does is put drive to all four wheels in a higher gear allowing you to travel at normal speeds like along a snowy road or sandy area. The higher gear means that you can drive almost like normal. The 4wd low gear is for getting unstuck from a bad area or for climbing rocks etc. It is a lower gear that means your motor revs higher for every rotation of your tires. Because the higher rpm means higher horse power, this allows your truck to get a lot more power at the wheels, but you go a lot slower. Imagine putting a manual trans in first gear and gunning it, you don't go very fast but you could probably go up any hill or over most terrain. The transfer case is similar, the low 4wd gear puts more power down through all four wheels getting you unstuck.

7. Jul 3, 2007 at 10:57 AM
    Manofs

Member:
    thanks that is the exact answer i was looking for i appreciate it.

8. Jul 5, 2007 at 1:11 PM
    natrlyst

natrlyst Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just to add to the answer, first of all almost NEVER put it into four wheel drive on dry pavement, especialy four low, snow is different. Use four high four most four wheel driving situations, four low can also be used to put less stress on your engine and give you more reation time when climibing and descending steep hills.

9. Jul 5, 2007 at 2:22 PM
    Manofs

Member:
    thanks guys your info is most appreciated

Products Discussed in

To Top