1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Road Armor Bumpers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tundra03, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Jul 7, 2007 at 5:29 AM
    tundra03

tundra03 [OP] Member

Member:
    Toyota Tundra/Tacoma Bumpers!!

Group buy in August!

Then Tell her to put you down for the Group buy through Tundrasolutions.com.

This way you can save $500. Call and ask Natalie to put you down for the group buy. And give her your contact info.

Info is in the 1st gen Road armor thread. And the Link to prices/options/colors, everything!!!!!!!

If you like it , this is the time to buy.

If you don't like it.... Fine. What do I care.

All I am saying is.... I'm helping anyone and everyone wanting this chance to own this bumper and to save serious cash for yourself and to take away from the dealers selling Road armor bumpers for more.

This is a group buy directly through the company.

2. Jul 9, 2007 at 12:10 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I'm not sure what these bumpers look like, anyone around here know anything about them?

3. Jul 9, 2007 at 1:41 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i went to the website and tracked them down. they look kinda mad max-ish to me. i would rather get either a clean looking bull or brush guard

4. Jul 9, 2007 at 1:58 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    anyone have any links to any pictures?

5. Jul 9, 2007 at 2:20 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
  6. Jul 9, 2007 at 9:30 PM
    OSUChaseNuts

OSUChaseNuts New Member

Member:
    Dang those are certified zombie killers.

7. Jul 10, 2007 at 6:06 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Those don't look to bad, i kinda like 'em..... not enough to buy them but i dont think they look bad

8. Jul 10, 2007 at 10:12 AM
    isusww

isusww Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am going to look into the weight. I'd hate to drive around with an extra 500-800 lbs on the truck :D

9. Jul 10, 2007 at 11:17 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah they do look heavy as hell. you'd have to do something to your front suspension too keep it from drooping too low if they are too heavy

10. Jul 10, 2007 at 11:48 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    although if you wanted to you could clear a cow from the railroad tracks

11. Jul 10, 2007 at 1:48 PM
    isusww

isusww Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes indeed. I could also get some cab mounted air horns from horn blasters to create a regular traffic clearing machine! Add some bullet proof glass to the list too :p

12. Jul 11, 2007 at 12:34 PM
    driven_

driven_ Well, someone has to do it...

Member:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    '16 Super White 4x4 DC LB TRD OR
    Nature dust.
    imo, they look like razorblades on a teddybear.

13. Jul 11, 2007 at 12:48 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    comparing your taco to a teddy bear is pretty insulting to your truck. I hope you are man enough to apologize to your tacoma. If i had to compare my taco to something i would compare it to a pissed off badger/couger hybrid mutant with bowie knives ducked taped to its feet..... now thats a comparison!!!

Although i do kinda agree, the bumber style is much more angled and aggressive than the trucks body design. I'm having a hard time deciding if i like it or not. i think i do.... but maybe i dont....

14. Jul 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM
    driven_

driven_ Well, someone has to do it...

Member:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    '16 Super White 4x4 DC LB TRD OR
    Nature dust.

i mean like. i love my taco like a kid loves his teddy bear. you know? its perfect. and you dont want a cuddly toy to be evil.
    no kid likes an evil teddybear unless they were dropped on their head.

15. Jul 14, 2007 at 5:05 AM
    tundra03

tundra03 [OP] Member

Member:
    Haven't checked back in awhile but look in the link . Check out my gallery at Tundrasolutions:
    Check out post #4 here on the link to the other website for ALL the details , size, construction materials such as where they use 1/4" and the 3/16ths steel in some places, weight concerns, colors, options, max winch size that can be used. as this has all been addressed, It doesn't weigh 500+ lbs:D more like 95-110 max! with guards. It has been weighed and 95 lbs base bumper and 110 with the guards added.

I have checked into all this information directly with the company Road Armor. All information again is available here:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/787-road-armor-bumpers-tacomas.html

16. Jul 15, 2007 at 7:33 AM
    Warner

Warner New Member

Member:
    I noticed someone said Road Armor did not "look clean" and they'd rather have a bull bar or something that looks clean.

This may be so, but there is little comparison. I was once working on an oil rig and a "coon ass" crew (that's what they call um) showed up after driving iced roads. They had a Road Armor front and a windshield protector grill that stood out from the windshield a few inches allowing the wipers to work.

The whole front half of the jeep (or blazer, I'm not exactly sure what it was) was red. They did not even try to stop for the deer, they just drove through them at 60 mph. There were some dents on the hood (which may have already been there), but other than that the vehicle was unscathed.

I certainly don't advocate buying Road Armor to run down deer, but almost everyone I know has hit at least one dear if they work the areas that have dear for a year or more. Just a few months ago I saw over a thousand deer along a few miles of road in WY. Deer populations in many areas are out of control due to the lack of predators and the availability of water (caused by man). Often there is just nothing you can do, its icy and the dear come out of nowhere. Even with a heavy brush guard like a Ranchero there is usually damage, but with Road Armor if the dear does not come over the top (they have models which help prevent this) or snap around the side there will likely be no damage.

I don't have Road Armor, it costs $2000 or so and I don't work the areas with a lot of deer that often. But if I did I'd seriously consider it. Having a deer disable your vehicle when its -30 degrees can be a life threatening situation!

Oh, and yes they are heavy, but not as much as you'd expect. I believe the one for the Tundra (I own a Tundra) weighs about 125 lbs, and you loose some weight off the front when you remove the stock bumper (25 lbs?).

17. Jul 16, 2007 at 9:14 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Hey Tundra03, whether anyone ends up getting one or not i think its cool that you popped over to our forum with the offer. It's cool to have a liason (sp) between the Tacoma's and their older brother. Thanks again for all the info and the great offer! Feel free to stop by anytime and have a little dialogue with us :)

Warner, thanks for the input. I definately don't want to hit any animals but it would be nice knowing that if i did all i would need to do is wash my truck.... thuroughly. BTW, noticed its your first post, welcome to TW and keep on contributing!

18. Jul 16, 2007 at 1:19 PM
    keynote22

keynote22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    x's 2

Seems I have to type at least 10 letters to get a quote post. this ought to do it.

19. Jul 16, 2007 at 10:12 PM
    Warner

Warner New Member

Member:
    YW. I agree, I don't want to be hitting anything either. Was just commenting on the difference between Road Armor and a regular grill guard.

Probably won't post here much - I have a Tundra right now, and found this site when looking to see if there were any grill gaurds for the new Tundra. And, I will probably be upgrading to a Dodge truck soon. I love my Tundra, but 5000 lbs tow capacity just does not do the trick (yes 5000, that is the max printed on the bumper, even though Toyota advertises 7000). I figure the new Tundra can only actually do about 8000, and that is not enough. A properly configured Dodge/Chevy/Ford 3500 can do 15000+ lbs, and I need to buy a 5th wheel so tow capacity is critical.

:mad:

20. Jul 17, 2007 at 3:15 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Toyota quotes 10,000 lb towing capacity in all there commercials... what happened to that? With the engine output, plus the beefed up frame and components, there's no reason that truck shouldn't tow 10k lbs... unless maybe you got the small engine, i dont know. Either way if i had to tow alot i dont think i would go for the Tundra. so far i'm unimpressed but thats just me.

Products Discussed in

To Top