1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05-08 Nerf Bars

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DsleePy1, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Dec 1, 2008 at 10:32 PM
    DsleePy1

DsleePy1 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Double Cab
    Does anyone know if the 05-08 nerf bar mounting brackets are the same for 09'?

I bought a pair of no name brand off of ebay it specified 05-08'. I think I may have made a mistake of assuming the 09' would be the same. I can't seem to get the hind mounting bracket in place. Anyone know how I can get this to work? :confused:

If not, anyone in the Houston area interested in buying a pair of black nerf bars 05-08' double cab?

I sure hope I'm just an idiot and overlooking how to get the bracket on! :(

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Dec 1, 2008 at 10:36 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    same thing man, your all good. I dont know why you are having a problem but maybe a pic would help

3. Dec 3, 2008 at 5:57 PM
    DsleePy1

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Double Cab
    I'm starting to think the ebay seller sold me something not designed for the truck. I'll try to get some pictures up of the instructions and mounting brackets.

I bought these from ebay seller Gogoparts, and they have not responded to any of my emails and when I call, I get a voicemail box that is full.

This is the auction item.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250329602576

If you look at the picture in the listing, you can see the mounting brackets. But the ones they sent me are not the same. My mounting brackets, mount into the tips of the bar from end to end. If I did that, I would be pretty much mounting the rear bracket where the leaf springs start.

I may have to find a way to custom mount these. Argh!

4. Dec 3, 2008 at 6:01 PM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    It looks like the picture is showing the Nerf Bars on a Hummer H3 not a Tacoma. Hopefully they are just using a generic picture to show the style of the bars, that is probably why the mounts look different than what you recieved. Good luck, hope they fit your truck

5. Dec 3, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    DsleePy1

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Double Cab
    I just did a search on ebay and the seller pulled all of his listings of the same item. I wonder why? :mad:

Anyone out there with a crew cab with nerf bars? Does your bar mount from just the tips? Just wondering, because I'm looking around and it seems that there should be another brace somewhere in the middle.

6. Dec 3, 2008 at 6:37 PM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    I have factory nerf bars on my truck, not sure if those pics will help or not. If they will help you out I will take pictures of the mount points for you, just let me know.

7. Dec 3, 2008 at 7:29 PM
    DsleePy1

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Double Cab
    Here are some pictures. Sorry for the quality it was dark out.

This is the front of the frame

[​IMG]

This is the rear of the frame
    [​IMG]
    This is the instructions
    [​IMG]
    picture of the rear bracket
    [​IMG]
    Picture of the bolts the instructions used to mount the rear brackets
    [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

8. Dec 3, 2008 at 9:14 PM
    DsleePy1

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Double Cab
    I'm pretty sure I can get the front bracket on and it looks correct. The problem I'm having is the rear bracket.

If I mount the bracket where the holes at the rear are then the nerf bars won't line up. If you look at where the holes are you will notice that my rear door extends beyond those holes. The nerf bars will then have to be shorter than the rear door.

When I dry fit the nerf bar it looks like the bracket should line up where they bolt on the leaf springs.

There is no manufacturers name on the instructions and the instructions themselves don't really make any sense. I think it's written in Chinglish and if you notice they even mislabeled the letters for the brackets.

I may be SOL on this one :(

9. Dec 4, 2008 at 4:17 PM
    DsleePy1

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Double Cab
    I finally got a hold of someone on the phone and she says that they haven't had any problems with it before. Then she said her supervisor is out and that I should send in some pictures.

Does anyone know for a fact that the 05 and 09 frames are the same?

10. Dec 4, 2008 at 4:34 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    No change to the frames.
    Do it the easy way, just go to a good fab/4x4 shop and have them welding on...problem solved. Heck, there may even be a TW member in your area with welding skills.

11. Dec 4, 2008 at 4:45 PM
    Westdog976

Westdog976 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5 TRD Sport S/B D/C Magnetic Gray
    MX black upper and lower girlles, debadged, limo tints, TRD CAI, flowmaster dual side exit cat-back, DRL mod, 33x12.5 Toyo Open Country M/T, 18x9 XD Monsters, 6" stage II pro comp lift, smoked LED tails and third brake light, mag gray eyelids, 5901 viper remote start alarm, one touch window modules, 10,000k bixenon hid headlights, 3,000k hid fogs, 4x4 switch LED mod, RBP nerf bars, weathertech floor liners, muth signal mirrors, avid light bar, kenwood excelon dnx9140 nav
    how am i supposed to focus with an avatar like that?!!!

12. Jan 4, 2009 at 1:58 AM
    DsleePy1

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Double Cab
    Just to give you guys an update on this issue. I was finally able to get my money back using paypals buyer protection! :)

I read somewhere that most nerfbars are only for looks, is this true? The main reason I wanted to get one is so I can prevent door dings. Do I need to have a lift to make the nerf bars effective at protecting the doors?

Are there any suggestions on which ones I should look at besides ebay? Anyone know what the difference with Westin's E-Series, Signature and Platinum? They all look the same to me.

Products Discussed in

To Top