1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speakers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MOrlando, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Feb 14, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    MOrlando

MOrlando [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    I just bought a 2011 TRD Sport and notice that the speakers... well suck. Anytime I hit level 55 or higher they pop. And to be honest, it isn't that loud. On a summer day with windows down, I'd probably have a tough time hearing. Is this just the way these speakers were made?

If so, any suggestions for replacements? And it is the 5x7 or the tweeters as well?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Feb 14, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    Mike - the problem isn't only your speakers. The problem is the sound that is going to said speakers. THAT is your problem. The factory system is way underpowered, and when you turn up the volume, the signal becomes distorted. That is why you "think" your speakers sound crappy. And while, in fact, they may be crappy, simply getting new speakers isn't going to fix your problem. You have to fix the sound going to your speakers first.

This usually involves upgrading your head unit, buying an amplifier, or both. Adding better speakers with either choice will only make things sound even better.

Bottom line - what you want is clean power. You can buy the best speakers in the world, but if you put crappy sound into them, guess what's going to come out...?

3. Feb 14, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    MOrlando

MOrlando [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    I was wondering if it were the power supply too. It just doesn't make sense, why put a factory sub (which I want to remove anyway) and not supply it enough power.

What's the best/most cost efficient approach to adding more power to the the speakers?

4. Feb 14, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    it depends, because like most things, you get what you pay for. you can start with a head unit with more power (probably something like 20w/channel), but it likely won't be as powerful or as clean as a good aftermarket amplifier that can push 50 or 100 watts per channel.

if it were me, i'd look for an amp. go with a high signal to noise ratio (above 90db). you can choose a 4 channel amp, which will power the front and rear speakers only, or get a 5 channel amp which will also drive a sub. better amps which have cleaner power will cost more. don't think you are going to get good sound from an amp claiming to make 500 watts per channel for $60 either.

when comparing power output of amplifiers, make sure you are looking at "rms" power, and not "peak" power, as measured in watts. there is a big difference. the rms power is what you want to compare and is the true measure of the amp rating.

5. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    You can polish a turd if you want, and some people are fine with that. Crutchfield has great tools for determining what will fit and supplies all the adapters and wires you need for free, along with good instructions.

For about $500 - $600 bucks you can get a decent head unit, amp and good front speakers. I did a 4-channel amp with one side bridged to power a sub, the other side powering front 6.5 component speakers. The head unit powers the stock rears at a low volume just to fill out the sound.

I am not familiar with the factory sub, but it may be possible to use the enclosure and replace the sub with something that can handle more power.

6. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    MOrlando

MOrlando [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    So everyone agrees, that the stock sound system leaves a lot to be desired?

7. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    MO - 6x9's up front with separate tweeters, and in the rear you've got essentially a 6-1/2" speaker. Both will require a mounting plate, and there are plenty in the A/V thread that will make them for you - myself included. Send me a PM and we can discuss that.

And yes, for anyone that values decent sound, the stock system is like giving a homeless vet that last little bite of a banana that you're about to recycle

8. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Pretty much yes it sucks, that's why there is quite a few threads on this already.

9. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    resq330

resq330 El' Capi-Tan

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    K&N Drop-In, Dick Cepek 'Torque' Wheels, Wet Okole Seat Covers, LED Interior
    Yep

10. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4

Yes. Pull a door panel and remove a speaker. Lightest speaker you'll ever hold in your hand...which is not a good thing.

I just replaced the 4 door speakers. I didn't spend much and the sound was so much better, to the point that for me, the stock HU was fine. It could use more power, but for now, I don't feel the need to spend for that. I am not maxing it out. Then I plugged in an MP3 player and I'm now good to go.

11. Feb 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    MOrlando

MOrlando [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    As an update:

I brought my truck into a Toyota dealer. They said, sorry that's they way they are. On my way home I was pissed and started messing with the balance and fade and located the crackling to one specific speaker. I called and was pretty animated on the phone and had them take a second look, while I was there controlling the system. They finally agreed, something was wrong and ordered me a new speaker.

Here's a new question:

Would that one bad speaker throw them all off? The fronts sound great by themselves, the back left one sounds find by itself and the whole left side sounds great by itself. As soon as the back right speaker gets thrown in the mix, they all sound like garbage. Is it because the circuit is being disrupted? It's either that or a power issue. I really am hoping that one speaker could throw them all off

Products Discussed in

To Top