1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

From a 2nd Gen Tundra to a 2nd Gen Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Winger12003, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Feb 16, 2012 at 5:01 AM
    Winger12003

Winger12003 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    265/75/16 Duratracs, 1.25 Spidertrax, OEM rack, TRD catback, weathertechs, TRD bead Locks, 5100's all around with 1 inch rear block
    Just curious how many people here have come from a 2nd gen Tundra to a 2nd gen Tacoma? If so state your reason for doing so ie. gas mileage ect.
    My next door neighbor has seriously been looking at Tacomas and he has a 2010 Tundra which averages about 14mpg with a 3 inch leveling kit.

2. Feb 16, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    I had a 2nd gen Tundra.MPGs were only about 4 MPG lower than the Tacoma but the Tundra is just a huge beast.Much,much too big if you don't need a full size{super size} truck.

3. Feb 16, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    orangedevil37

orangedevil37 RedBull

Member:
    cincinnati ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC 4x4 SR5
    If i could it again i would have kept my tundra. Yeah i got less mpg but i think its abetter built and more reliable truck. I had no issue with my tundra. I get a taco and its nothing but trouble but i dont have the money to reverse my mistake dammit. Thats my 2 cents

4. Feb 16, 2012 at 5:56 AM
    Blueridge

Blueridge Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got rid of my Tundra DC for my Tacoma DC.
    I had the 4.6L which to me was a mistake. gas mileage not much better than the 5.7L and it required alot of pedal at times, particularly in hilly country. The bed bounce, weak c-channel frame bothered me as well. I could see my bed jiggling and flexing on my dirt roads. probably not a longevity issue, but bothersome.
    Biggest factor for me was the sheer size of the beast. Just too much truck for my daily needs. the Tacoma is more nimble, far easier to drive on narrow roads, easier to park etc..Plus my wife will drive it.
    lastly, and of minor importance, the side profile from door pillars forward looked great- like the pug nose look. otherwise it was an ugly truck.

5. Apr 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    PL 4x4

PL 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PL
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 2011 4WD MGM DCLB
    Eibach Coils, Bilsteins at .85, 1/4" Toytec Spacers both sides, 2" AAL and Bilsteins on rear. Completely debadged, yellow wire mod, rear diff breather relocate.
    I had a 2007 5.7L 2WD. Yeah, the gas mileage wasn't great but it wasn't much worse than my DCLB 4WD Tacoma. (13-16mpg vs 15-18mpg)

I must say that I really do miss the beast, especially the interior room....and the bed size....and a lot of other things about it (like the sheer power and f'ing awesomeness of the truck). However, it was a bitch to park and I really wanted a 4WD again.

In the 20 years before buying the Tundra I only owned 2 trucks. An '88 4WD Reg cab Toyota Pickup (on 38's and later 36's) and a 2000 4WD Extended Cab Tacoma (baby truck on 31's). After being refused entry to a local beach access because i didn't have 4WD I decided I needed to go find another 4WD. A Tacoma seemed like a logical, sensible and loyal purchase. I've always loved Tacomas and I had recently fallen in love with the DCLB. In addition, it's a lot easier to build up; it's cheaper to lift and you don't need to buy huge tires to make it off road worthy.

My biggest fear about buying a new Tundra was the huge expense of replacement parts later in the truck's life. Remember, in a 20 year span I'd only owned 2 Toyotas. The thought of replacing a @20K motor or a $10K transmission years down the road scared the crap out of me!

However, I didn't realize that I'd have to take my Tacoma to the dealer several times over the past 8 months to fix stupid BS. I've had the blower motor replaced, rotors turned (still squeals), TSB springs installed, and the windshield still whistles at highway speeds. WTF? This part of Tacoma ownership has been disappointing to say the least.

Overall, am I happy with downsizing? Yes and no. I miss the power and size of the Tundra but the Tacoma is more practical and less flashy. I had thought about trading the Tacoma for another Tundra but I think I'm going to stick it out. I guess dropping a few grand on lift and tires over the past few months has changed my mind for a little while. ;)

6. Apr 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Went from 2004 Tundra 4Door 4x4 4.7L V8
    To 2006 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 V6 auto
    Drove that for almost 5 yrs
    Traded that in for a 2011 Tundra DC 4.6L V8 4x4.
    I really liked my Tacoma but was able to pay less for a Tundra &
    it gets the same mileage as what I was getting the taco.
    Its also easier for me to tow & has some features I like.
    At times I do miss the tacoma but really enjoy my truck.
    Its a personal preference thing.
    I really wish I bought a 5.7 CM!!

7. May 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    orangedevil37

orangedevil37 RedBull

Member:
    cincinnati ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC 4x4 SR5
    i never really ever had a issue with parking my tundra. i was used to it and knew where it would and would not fit. taco does make thing easier but im still in the tundra habbit when it comes to parking. the only real reasons i got a tacoma was, because my tundra was 2WD and the great deal the dealer was offering on the taco.

Products Discussed in

To Top