1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Surf Rod Holders

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kilo, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Jul 11, 2007 at 10:02 PM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    I started surf fishing about a year and a half ago and love it! My buddies and I are always trying to find better ways or things to do to make things easier when we get down to PINS(Padre Island National Sea Shore). Here is my latest fab work for the surf. The rods I use are over 13' long so you cant just throw them in the bed, so we set up as we get in and mount our rods, ready and waiting to chunk out to the second and 3rd gut(100-150+ yards). This still needs a little work, but almost done. If you have no idea of what I'm talking about I have included a pic of my old truck with rod holder mounted. As you can see I have made it so I can still use the sliding tie down rail system. I'll have it sand blasted and powder coated just in time for our 07/21/07 trip to PINS! Wish us LUCK!! Also installed my CB Radio. Here are some pics. Hope you enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jul 30, 2007 at 7:34 PM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    Well our trip down to Padre Island was OK? I say OK only because I didn't catch much, 1 Hardhead and 1 Whiting. I went down with a bunch of freinds and one of them had his 6 year old boy that out fished us all, he caught 32 whiting, some people call them Croakers, and one nice size Spanish Mackerel!! He did a great job, maybe ended up with about 8-10lbs of fillets!! The weather was good Sat. and Sun. but Sunday night the MOSQUITO'S Killed us!!! I couldn't bare them, almost packed up and left that night, even with one more day of fishing left. Monday morning we got up and packed up and left due to the storm coming in and them F@!king MOSQUITO'S!! We stopped at the visitors center to shower and break down our rods before we headed out. As we pulled out of the parking area I was distracted by the mosquito's in the cab, trying to swat them out the window, then out of the blue a light post JUMPED out in front of my 2 and a half month old taco!!!! Wasn't to bad???? Ruined my front drivers side wheel and a hole lot of the suspension. That was a week ago today and Champion Toyota of Corpus Christi still has it almost 8 hours away from my home in Dallas. Had to rent a car to get home. Should be good to go here tomorrow?? Anywho, I didn't take very many pics but here are a few of our base camp and my mods. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jul 30, 2007 at 7:53 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    wow...bad break man. i know how it is though....just not as much. my wife's dad pulled in behind me one day and i was backing out in a hurry and trying to stick in a dvd and hit his bumper and put in a dent

4. Jul 30, 2007 at 10:03 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Looks like fun, man. Sorry to hear about your truck. Mines the same age, I know id absolutely freak if that happened to me.

Ted

5. Jul 31, 2007 at 4:46 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Sorry to hear about the truck. At least you are okay, and the truck will be alright in the end. The rig/mod looks really incredible - great job!

Looks like you have an awesome hobby (minus the mosquitos). That coastline looks a hell of a lot better than those closer to Houston. Now that I am in San Antonio, I live way too close to not go down there. Maybe I will catch you catching something! :thumbsup:

Best of luck with the truck!

6. Jul 31, 2007 at 10:47 AM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Hey 007, Most of my buddies that go with me are in SA. We are thinking about joining the SHARKATHON this year it's in September, maybe the 2nd weekend, the more the merrier. Let me know.

7. Jul 31, 2007 at 11:03 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Pardon my ignorance, but SHARKATHON? Are you guys catchings some sand shark fillets? I have heard that shark steak is pretty good.:hungry:

I haven't gone fishing since I was 10 years old. I caught a catfish and my Grandfather cut his foot on it. Since then I lived out West (CO/NM = no fishing for Mark).

I don't remember ANYTHING about fishing. I need to learn. My wife knows more about it than I do. Her father took her fishing all the time as a kid. He owned a prop shop on Lake Tahoe. :cool:

I would love to go, but I don't have any gear, and I would slow you guys down. Maybe after I get some schooling. ;)

8. Jul 31, 2007 at 11:08 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    kilo is your truck 4WD or PreRunner?

9. Jul 31, 2007 at 3:54 PM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    007, I go to catch what ever bites. But I am on a shark rodeo team and some big sharks have been landed and released from the beach. The sharkathon is for biggest shark, red fish, trout, and tarpon caught by rod and reel from the beach and all must be released. Most on average are around 3'-5' long, black tip or bulls. The biggest I've caught was an Atlantic sharp nose about 3' long, they don't get big at all. As far as gear you are more than welcomed to use what I have, not including my sleeping bag, underwear, toothbrush,you get the point. I have plenty of rods and reels! It's camping, fishing, a little drinking and a lot of good times. After about the 4 mile mark it's posted, 4x4's only. The rest of the 60 miles of beach can be pretty bad. This past trip we stopped at about the 21 mile marker and never had to put it in 4 wheel drive. I just can't express how much FUN it is. Here is a pick of my shark that I caught at the jetties and a site that shows and talks about a 12foot Tiger shark being caught and released and a little article that I wrote if you read the entire thing. Hope you enjoy!

Regards,
    kilo

http://breakawayusa.com/pdf/dec06.pdf

[​IMG]

10. Aug 1, 2007 at 11:15 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    First of all let me say that i'm very sorry to hear about your truck, that reallly sucks. I'd prolly be in tears for weeks.

Secondly let me say.... what the hell is wrong with you people!!! I read that article you posted and looked at the pics of that shark.... WTF!!! When you catch something like that, you immediately hit it in the head with an ax or a big sledge hammer! Thats just standard protocol. The discorvery channel wont tell you this but sharks are nothing but people eating machines, they only eat fish when there are no available people. If i ever catch something like that i'll haul it up on the shore and back over it's head with my truck. Those things give me the willies! Just ask 007, he's well aware of the grudge i hold against all ocean animals. Although i must say it takes some serious balls to get in the water with that thing to release it..... way more than i have :(

11. Aug 4, 2007 at 6:31 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Thanks for the invite! My wife won't let me go without her. She loves to fish and she loves the coast. Since we just moved to San Antonio, she doesn't have anyone else to hang out with on the weekends yet.

I think that would be a ton of fun. I hope you take a bunch of pics!

12. Aug 4, 2007 at 6:32 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device

Yeah, I have to admit, ndcouch has all the reason in the world to stay out of the water. ;)

No worries, we'll get em' for ya'! :thumbsup:

13. Aug 4, 2007 at 8:55 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    ndcouch,

I realize it is likely none of my business, but curiosity has gotten the better of me. Why is it that "you hold a grudge against all ocean going creatures?"

Again, may be out of bounds, but I was just curious, feel free to not answer without fear of my feeling offended.

14. Aug 4, 2007 at 10:03 AM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I think i'm the only single guy that ever goes. The rest of my buddies take their wives!! Some the girls fish and some just hang out.

15. Aug 6, 2007 at 6:43 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I was fondled..... by an octopus. do you have any idea what it's like being fondled by that many appendages!?!?

J/K I have been attacked by multiple ocean animals. when i was younger it was no big deal, but as i've gotten older they just go crazy when i get in the water.... maybe they're attracted to the smell of alcohol i don know. I've been "inked" by a squid. pinched by blue crabs (those are the meanest animals on the planet), pinched by things i never saw, and stung by multiple jellyfish. One of the jellies was large enough to where it attached to my back and one of it's tenticles went all the way down my right arm and between my fingers. that tenticle had to be around 3ft long. anyway, i also hate not being able to see whats around me trying to kill me. It's just a matter of time before the big boys (sharks, dolphins, giant squid and those freaky glow in the dark big teeth fish) come after me. Ironically i love to snorkel..... weird. Anyway, i demand that you start killing whatever you catch... especially dolphins. those things are way to smart to be left alive. It wont be long before they figure out how to bring the fight to the shore. We'll be defending our homes with shotguns and pitchforks from the "Great Bottlenose Threat"

Anyway, long story short.... i hate ocean dwelling animals. It states very clearly in Genisis that God created all land dwelling animals, and Satan created all ocean animals. READ YOUR BIBLE PEOPLE! Wake up!!

Products Discussed in

To Top