1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spider Gears / Diff question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by danteisme, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    danteisme

danteisme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    i have obtained an extra carrier and ring and pinion for my truck. i got it cheap because it had a broke spider gear. i have now also obtained some replacement spider gears. is this something i can attempt on my own? how are these gears held in the carrier? also, once i get this done what is the best way to store this since it is my just in case replacement? i don't want it to get surface rust or anything like that. right now i just poured some gear oil over it and wiped all the components down with a rag and put it in a box. i'm sure there is probably a better way that i don't know of.

2. Feb 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    Bogg

Bogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surrey, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    I was going to attempt installing gears into my truck. After reading several install threads and How To's I figure A: I don't have all the proper tools and B: it's beyond my ability. This is one install you can't and don't want to f*ck up. If you decide to do it, post pics :)

3. Feb 26, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    No real way for anyone to know whether it's something you can attempt. Some people shouldn't attempt an oil change :rolleyes:. You aren't in any hurry so it might be a good chance to learn how. I doubt it would cost much to send it to one of the good gear houses and have it professionally done either.
    As far as preserving it, one of the best preservatives is LPS #3. You can buy it in an aerosol can. It sprays on and when dry leaves a heavy waxy film that will protect the metal for many years. You can clean it off prior to installation easily too.

4. Feb 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    The hard part is setting up the pinion and carrier into the 3rd and getting proper preload, backlash, and gear contact. If you're just setting up a stock open carrier with two spiders (not sure what comes on your truck) just drive out the pins holding the cross then drive out the cross, inspect everything for wear, and reassemble with new spiders and thrust washers. If it's a 4 spider carrier separate the carrier halves, mark everything, reassemble with new parts, torque to spec.

Edit: I think you probably have the 4 spider carrier, mark the orientation of everything, pull the halves, mark all the spiders and cross and orientation of cross replace what needs replaced, inspect for wear on the inside of the carrier and the thrust washers and spiders and cross, reassemble and torque to spec

Products Discussed in

To Top