1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VSC Issue with new 33" tires, Spidertrax and 3" spacer lift

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cehensley, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Mar 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    cehensley

cehensley [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2011 Crew Cab LB
    Leer 180
    Just got back from my Toyota dealership service center trying to determine if they know of any issues related to a strange issue I've recently noticed. Three different times now, all within moderate speeds I have felt something "kick-in" randomly and for no reason. The thing kicking in... something in my steering like someone quickly vibrated the steering column. I'm fairly certain the VSC has kicked in and even beeped. Problem is that three times lately that's happened when no wheels were at risk of slipping. Today when it happened aI was going 35 around a sweeping curve and suddently it seemed to activate in my front left tire and beeped 3 or four times rapidly.

The dealership says there's nothing wrong because no warning lights are lit up so they didn't even run diagnostics. ABS seems to be working. But I'm pretty certain that one or the other front tire has done this to me 3 times now since doing my modest suspension upgrades. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

2. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    1GR

1GR Toyota Dealer Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Go back to your dealer, ask them to perform a zero point calibration. It may or may not help you. But do to the mods you have, vsc may *think* you are slipping, and activate itself. Probably to do with cornering and the wheel speeds picking up different then engine/vehicle speed. Hard to explain unless you understand all of the sensors involved.

teamfast likes this.
  3. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  4. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    1GR

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    You should just be able to say zero point calibration, and they should understand. If they don't, find a new dealer. I do this on a regular basis to lifted Taco's, 4Runners, and Tundras.

5. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My dealer said there was no way to do it until I showed the tech the file from the above thread . Finding another dealer in my vicinity is not an option

6. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    1GR

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I deal with most of them at my dealer, so I don't ask for it. I already have that information. I don't know why your dealer is being so anal about it.

7. Nov 18, 2016 at 9:58 PM
    urban

urban Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois/Michigan
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB sport OME lift
    305/65r17's on 17x9.5 Rotiforms Cab mount chop 4.10 gears Detroit true track OME 885's Dakars Camburg UCA's Undercover SE Weathertech liners and visors Black headlight mod Debadged Rock Blokz mudflapps (oversized)
    I want to regear to 4.10's soon and 33's. Do you know what VSC/ABS problems this might cause me? Will there be disagreement between the power train senors and the wheel speed sensors or anything of that nature? How much can be done to adjust for these kinds of changes? I would be shocked if Toyota left any sort of provisions for this kinda stuff.

8. Nov 18, 2016 at 10:23 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    The regear won't affect the ABS. The yaw sensor is calibrated for a stock vehicle. A lifted truck on bigger tires moves differently than a stock one, and the sensors read that movement as being a dangerous situation. The VSC pumps the ABS in an effort to "gain control", but really it's trying to pull you off the road.

Follow Oz's advice.

9. Nov 19, 2016 at 8:09 AM
    urban

urban Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois/Michigan
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB sport OME lift
    305/65r17's on 17x9.5 Rotiforms Cab mount chop 4.10 gears Detroit true track OME 885's Dakars Camburg UCA's Undercover SE Weathertech liners and visors Black headlight mod Debadged Rock Blokz mudflapps (oversized)
    So this zero point calibration is a magical cure all?

10. Nov 19, 2016 at 8:20 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    It establishes a new normal. So, in a sense, yes.

11. Nov 19, 2016 at 9:15 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yes but it doesn't always work

12. Nov 19, 2016 at 9:14 PM
    urban

urban Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois/Michigan
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB sport OME lift
    Then what does one do?

13. Nov 19, 2016 at 10:39 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I turn off the VSC at start up

Products Discussed in

To Top