1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

It's solid tonneau time... which one?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Sharky, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Apr 15, 2012 at 2:43 AM
    Sharky

Sharky [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    White '12 DCSB TX Pro (also retired)
    Handicap Parking Permit
    Bakflip G2 or Undercover Flex? They are both on pretty good sales right now from several vendors. Sales end Monday afternoon, so I want to get an order placed.

It is weird because on the Bakflip I had one vendor telling me it is the greatest thing ever made and the Undercover is garbage. He sold both. I was quite surprised to hear him say that something he sold was garbage.

I came here and read reviews and only saw one review on the Flex which seemed good, it just seems new. On the Bakflip it seemed about 50/50 either great or awful. There didn't seem to be any wiggle room. This particular vendor I spoke with claimed they had NEVER had a Bakflip returned at any point or a complaint at any point due to manufacturing defects, nor has he seen one wear out.

Is he just hyping a product that they are trying to get rid of? In looking at the specs, the Undercover looks identical to the F1 Bakflip, which seems to be a higher end model than the G2. So why is he saying the G2 is better?

Any insights much appreciated.

P.S. - I have a question on the quality of vendors. The Undercover Flex seems like a good one, but is only sold at 3 places... Summit, 4wheelonline, and Truckaddons. If I went that route, which dealer would you suggest? They all seem to have had their share of bad reviews if you do a google search. None of the reviews were specific to either product... just the stores themselves.

2. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    I want a Peragon cover but they aren't currently available for dcsb 2nd gens.

3. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Just watched a quick vid on the Undercover Flex and it looks and operates exactly like the BakFlip from what I can see. I'm very happy with my G2 for what its worth. Their service was excellent too .. had a broken prop-rod joint in shipping, they sent me a whole new prop-rod kit right away.

4. Apr 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    Sharky

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Handicap Parking Permit
    Thanks for the feedback. Any vendor feedback? I have looked at the paragon and thought it looked nice. Surprised they don't make it for the Tacoma seeing as many Tacomas as I do on the road. seems like they are missing a good chunk of the market.

5. Apr 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    At some point Peragon did make them. There are 2 members on here with it on DCSBs, but for some reason not available. I got an email back from the company saying they were undergoing "redesign", but website leads you to believe there was lack of demand.

6. Apr 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    I love my bakflip fibermax. Plus I got a great deal from scott at truckaddons.com. Id seriously consider the fibermax.

7. Apr 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Got a good deal on the G2 on Amazon.com . It was before I was into this site too much, otherwise I might have checked out the vendors on here.. people seem to do quite well by them.

8. Apr 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    Amazon and Ebay ... Both Undercover and Bak will void your warranty if purchased through there. They can not control whether the seller is an authorized dealer or not.

Bak vs. Flex .. Bak is the better choice. Better all-around construction and fitment to the truck. I have a few spec emails here somewhere with the break downs. PM me an email and I will send them to you, or shoot me a call.

Peragon .. I wouldn't put one on my truck if it were given to me for free. Hell, I would refuse it if they tried to pay me to use it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Apr 15, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
  10. Apr 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD reg cab/ 02 SR5 Prerunner/07 FJC 4WD
    i just had a a.r.e. put on mine. very well made. however its is a different style then a bak flip or undercover. not to mention a 1400 price tag from stealership. i'm sure if you went right thur a dealer, you could save money.

11. Apr 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    Sharky

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Handicap Parking Permit
    Peragons are that good huh? haha. They look pretty nice on their website. I guess that goes to show that good advertising does its job regardless of product quality.

I saw that everybody was offering 10%+ off on the Undercover Flex this weekend which made it significantly less than the Bak. That is why I looked into ordering one. I didn't realize the UC's were that bad, since I'd heard nothing but good about their solid one piece tops. Thanks for the heads-up. I can get the UC's for around $650 this weekend, and the G2 is still $700 everywhere. I know $50 may not seem like a lot, but I'm really pushing it even at $650.

What is the warranty difference? I thought I heard UC was 3 years and Bak had cut theirs to 1 year. Was that incorrect? That wasn't info I got from you TAOScott, that was from another dealer (I am sure you can figure it out.... they are one of the three who are currently dealers for an Undercover Flex... which is why I didn't ask you about them when I emailed about the standard Undercover... as they gave me the info prior to me asking for a quote, and they seemed pretty sure of themselves so I had kind of crossed the UC off of my list at that point... it came back due to pricing and others saying it was identical to the BAK F1 which was $300 more).

-Jon

12. Apr 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    Toytruckmike

Toytruckmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Amarillo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport AC 6sp 4x4 Gone:18 TRD Sport 4x4 double cab. Cement
    Not much on the 07 yet. 18 is gone, but was a greata truck. TRD Pro grill, Gator FX3, Homelink mirror, Black out badges & exhaust tip, Remote start. Future TRD exhaust, skid plate.
    I am quite happy with my Undercover. It is easy to use and remove if necessary.
    I would recommend one. The bak flip does look nice also, but I don't have any experience.
    M.

13. Apr 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    You sure about that? I registered my G2 at BakFlip as purchased from Amazon.. and received a confirmation email soon after:
    'This e-mail serves a confirmation to your warranty registration. You have been successfully entered into our warranty data base.'

14. Apr 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    MikeluvstheTaco

MikeluvstheTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Saskatchatoon
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    When I bought my tonneau I was looking at the Bakflip F1 or G2, and my dealer said they dropped the Bakflips for the Undercover hard folding. The advantages were lower cost, the ability to only open two panels and leave one down while driving, and the prop rods held the cover away from the cab so it didnt rub like the bakflip. The undercover looked like the same build quality as the G2. I went with the truxedo low pro QT. it came with a lifetime guarantee where as the undercover is only 3 years, aswell the truxedo was 500 and the undercover was 1000. So far I really like the Truxedo, personally I think it looks better than the folding panels. The only draw back I can think of is I bungee my tool bag down because Im afraid of the tools hitting the tonneau when hitting a large bump and possibly tearing the vinyl, so i bungee sharp stuff down. Good luck with your purchase! I'm sure you will be happy with either covers

15. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    Sharky

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Handicap Parking Permit
    Sorry, I'm new to the pickup truck world. The last pickup I owned was a 63 Chevy that my grandpa left to me 20+ years ago. I've driven SUV's exclusively since (mostly the FJ Cruiser). What is meant by a "spec email"? Are the Undercovers not built to proper specifications as compared to the Bak's? Why do I keep thinking that the Undercover was just a copy of the Bak F1? Did somebody plant that idea in my head on this board, or did I just come up with it off of reading the comparison of both? How do they differ in fitment? I keep reading that the G2 leaks? Does that mean the Undercover leaks worse? Perhaps I should just go with the Undercover 4050, since I heard they won't leak as they are just a bit flat solid piece of plastic like a trunk. I guess it's better than nothing, and the sales end tomorrow it looks like.

16. Apr 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    damnfingers

damnfingers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited 2x4 DCSB
    So what did you buy? I'm in the same quandry without the time crunch.

17. May 31, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    Sharky

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Handicap Parking Permit
    Sorry I lost track. I got the Undercover Flex. I really like it so far. It's been surprisingly good, especially for the price. I need to adjust it down slightly because a tiny bit of water is getting in, but it functions perfectly, and I've even gotten a lot of compliments on it. I had to move a bed a few days ago and I just folded it all the way up and set the bed in the back and ratchet strapped it down. There was plenty of room for the bed surprisingly. The cover wasn't an issue at all. If I had gone for the standard undercover I'd have had to remove it entirely. So it was really nice since my sister called and said she needed it out immediately and I had no help getting the "lid" off, so I was really glad I'd gone for the flex cover. If anybody wants to get one, let me know and I'll give you some good tips on install. The instructions were incorrect. It's going to work great for my offroading adventures for keeping my things secure and such. Even if it got a few drops of water in, I'd just throw a tarp over it underneath the cover, and all water runs in the drain "ditches" in the liner and has never gotten higher than those, even in a MASSIVE rain-snow storm that put about a foot and a half on top of the cover. The drain tubes did their job.

I've heard the Bak cover is just as good, but I am glad I went with the UC just to try something different and hopefully give people a review on it. The more good products available for our Tacomas the better I figure.

Products Discussed in

To Top