1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PSI help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xgalvanxgx, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    xgalvanxgx

xgalvanxgx [OP] seymour butts

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerardo
    OC (Lake Forest) California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road BlackSandPearl 07 PreRunner
    DTF Race Kit with 2.5 x 10 Kings, DMZ SUA rear with 16" triple bypass Kings, King bumpstops front and rear, 17" KMC RG1 powdered in Matte Bronze with black ring with 37" BFG KO2s, front and rear DTF bumpers, front Fiberwerx glass and Mcneil trophy bedsides, K&N 77 Series Intake, Magnaflow, Pioneer touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub with box and amp. Dyanamat walls, Andres' devil horn emblem, 50" D4 curved LED bar, rear chase light rack (brake, ambers, white lights) Engine brace, deleted inner wheel wells for max up travel. Cab roll rage built into bedcage.
    hey guys im confused. what psi should i be running on my taco? my tires are 285/70/17. the psi on these are 65. on my stock tires (265/75/16) i believe it was 32 psi. i took it to goodyear for an alignment and they set it to "65 psi" then when i took it to Toyota for the recall i think they set it back down to 32 psi? i think just cuz they look lower. whats the correct psi i should run? :confused:

2. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    Stumpifier

Stumpifier Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    5sp RWD
    65psi? Are you running light truck tires? If you aren't and they set it that high avoid that place like the mall before Christmas. Even if you are running LTs that's way too high for the load those tires are under. I'd use the stock pressure for now. Keep the tires inflated and monitor how they're wearing. If you see the middle wearing faster than the edges up the pressure a few pounds. If you see the edges wearing faster drop a few pounds. I personally think it'll be one or two pounds less than stock but I don't have any experience to correlate with thus the stock pressure recommendation.

If you want to be super accurate ask the manufacturer of the stock tire and your aftermarket unit for a psi to load chart. Take the loading per tire stock and apply to the aftermarket tires and that should give you the correct pressure.

3. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    Im pretty sure recommended PSI is also stated on the tires.... Sorry if Im wrong

4. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    myth01

myth01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    south sf, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08 taco Trd sport
    eclipse nav.-w/ Bluetooth & iPod 3'' revtech add a leaf lift kit snug top ss truck cap dive tank racks in back Aux fuse box Aux back up lights, w/ interior fj cruiser stock switch Back up cam Turn signal cams Interior inverter -switched Aux audio/video inputs -RCA (including iPhone cable)w/ 4 input switch Mag light mount Tyredog stand alone tpms Spare tire extension hose Avid off road light bar(powder coated)
    Tire psi is also rated by the vehicle they are being put. Every vehicle has a different curb weight. I believe the max psi is printed on the tire. What did was call bf Goodrich, and they had a menu option for proper tire inflation for size of tire and vehicle. You will need stock tire size, and psi. Plus your new tire size

5. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    go with the vehicles' psi. whatever it says on the door frame. never exceed max tire psi. youl never have to worry about that in th tacoma though.

6. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Chalk test

7. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    That's only accurate for the OEM tires

8. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    myth01

myth01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    south sf, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08 taco Trd sport
    eclipse nav.-w/ Bluetooth & iPod 3'' revtech add a leaf lift kit snug top ss truck cap dive tank racks in back Aux fuse box Aux back up lights, w/ interior fj cruiser stock switch Back up cam Turn signal cams Interior inverter -switched Aux audio/video inputs -RCA (including iPhone cable)w/ 4 input switch Mag light mount Tyredog stand alone tpms Spare tire extension hose Avid off road light bar(powder coated)
    But if you change tire size, stock psi is no longer accurate. Aside from calling the manufacturer, I agree chalk test would be the next best choice

9. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    its always worked for me, but yeah doing some sort of mark test would work well too.

10. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    xgalvanxgx

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerardo
    Vehicle:
    DTF Race Kit with 2.5 x 10 Kings, DMZ SUA rear with 16" triple bypass Kings, King bumpstops front and rear, 17" KMC RG1 powdered in Matte Bronze with black ring with 37" BFG KO2s, front and rear DTF bumpers, front Fiberwerx glass and Mcneil trophy bedsides, K&N 77 Series Intake, Magnaflow, Pioneer touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub with box and amp. Dyanamat walls, Andres' devil horn emblem, 50" D4 curved LED bar, rear chase light rack (brake, ambers, white lights) Engine brace, deleted inner wheel wells for max up travel. Cab roll rage built into bedcage.
    pardon my noobness :rolleyes: but, what's a chalk test?

11. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Basically , you take blackboard chalk and draw a line across the tread patch of your tire , side to side .

Drive a bit , and check the chalkline .

Wearing evenly shows a good inflation .

Wearing in the middle and not the edges points to overinflation .

Wearing at edges points to underinflation .

12. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    Stumpifier

Stumpifier Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    5sp RWD
    The number on the tire is the max pressure, the maximum it can sustain indefinitely without bursting. This is NOT the correct pressure for the tire's load as the tire manufacturer only knows what range of loads the tire should be put under. The vehicle manufacturer knows the typical loads each axle will be under and with data from the tire manufacturer sets the stock pressures accordingly.

In reality it can take a bit more than max, safety factor and all, but passenger tires (which these trucks all come with stock) are usually only good for about 44psi so at 65 I'd be very concerned driving with them fully loaded. Light trucks are usually rated for 80psi max and semi tires are even higher, around 125 I believe.

13. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  14. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    xgalvanxgx

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerardo
    Vehicle:
    excellent 411. thanks guys.

15. Apr 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    All depends on what your purpose is, and what tires you have mounted.
    First, go by the tires. Never exceed the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall. Now that you have your upper limit......
    Hauling lots of weight? High pressure, near or at the tire's maximum.
    Driving offroad? Generally going to be low pressure. But keep in mind that terrain varies so much that pressures will to. For example...
    Driving in sand? Going to be extra low pressure (in the low teens).
    Want a soft, smooth ride? Use the manufacturer's recommended pressure, or a little less.
    Want to maximize fuel economy? Run slightly higher pressures. (This is where I usually aim. I have 44psi tires, and I run 42psi when on road, variable but low when off road. My last truck I ran 44psi on road, despite the tires being 65psi tires. With 35psi tires, I would suggest 33psi on road. So long as the tire is listed at or above 44psi, I would generally recommend about 42-44psi for maximum fuel economy with even tire wear and decent ride.)
    Always keep an eye on tire wear (a chalk test is good for instant wear reading), and adjust accordingly. Early wear in the center = too high a pressure. Early even wear on the edges = too low a pressure. Early uneven wear on the edges = alignment issues, or lack of rotation.
    Play around with the pressures and find what works best for you. Note the ride quality, tire wear (chalk test this), fuel economy, and traction. Stick with what works best for you.
    And always keep it below the maximum.
    One more important note: all pressures listed on the tire, the door frame, and in this post are assuming cold tires. That would be tires that have been driven less than one mile, and have been sitting in the shade. Assume about a 3-5psi increase in gauge pressure when checking hot, and adjust calculations accordingly.

Products Discussed in

To Top