1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camber issue?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoLife08, May 9, 2012.

1. May 9, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    TacoLife08

TacoLife08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD Rugged Trail SR5
    Camburg 4' Spindles, top plate spacers, 2" AAL, 285/75R/16 Terra Grapplers, Tinted Windows, Black Riveted Grille, Black Spyder Halo Healights/Tailights, FlowMaster 40 Exhaust, NFab Side Steps, Blacked out Skid Plate.
    Hey just a real quick question, i just installed my camburg 4" spindles and had an alignment already and my camber on left front is at .9 and right front is at .6, should i try to get it to a perferct 0? and am i even capable of doing it with stock UCA's? i ask because id prefer to have the absolutle best tire ware over the life of my tires. Please dont relate it to off roading.

2. May 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    What shocks do you have on the front? Any lift in addition to the spindles?

3. May 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    TacoLife08

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    Camburg 4' Spindles, top plate spacers, 2" AAL, 285/75R/16 Terra Grapplers, Tinted Windows, Black Riveted Grille, Black Spyder Halo Healights/Tailights, FlowMaster 40 Exhaust, NFab Side Steps, Blacked out Skid Plate.
    running the toytec top plate spacer for taco lean and still running stock billys up front. other then that its all spindle

4. May 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    That would explain the difference between left and right sides. Best bet for dead-zero camber would be the Light Racing UCAs since they're adjustable.

The cheaper option would be to just rotate the tires every 5k miles to make sure everything wears as evenly as possible and leave it at that.

5. May 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    TacoLife08

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    ok thank you! now im going to thread jack my own thread :D. after installing the spindles i now have an intense steering wheel shake from 40-60 mph that wasnt there yesterday before i installed the spindles so im ruling out a tire balance and or tire issue. what else could it be that was affected during a spindle change?

6. May 9, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Could be any number of things...bad alignment, worn tie rod ends, worn UCA/LCA bushings, wheel bearings, etc.

Heck, it could even be a matter of swapping wheels from driver to passenger side during the install. That's a no-no with radial tires after they've been mounted but is the cheapest thing to try as a fix.

7. May 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    TacoLife08

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    Let the experimenting begin! THX mjp2

8. May 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
  9. May 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    I have the steering wobble from 40-60 as well, actually LOL...

My tire guys say it's because the used BFG AT's I bought are cupped. And they are, so it makes sense. Do you have AT's or MT's?

10. May 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    TacoLife08

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    im running Nitto Terra's A/T right now but i put them on with the original "Spacer Lift" that i had when i had some pretty serious positive camber issues. Is it possible that running those tires for the 2 months i ran the spacer lift has messed up the tire hence now the wobble??

11. May 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Very possible if they are cupped like mine. The #1 cause of cupped tires is shock damage, and if you're on spacers, I think it's only exacerbating the problem.

Take the palm of your hand, and place it flat on the outside edge of your tread, and move up or down the tread. Try to feel for any "dips" or "valleys" in the treadwear. If it feels like the tread has worn in a perfect circular motion, they should be fine. But if you do feel like your palm is going up and down on the tread as you slide your hand along it, they are cupped, which is what is causing the steering wobble.

When your tires are cupped, they're essentially bouncing up and down on the road instead of making flat contact with the road. They resonance at those speeds (40-60mph) for whatever reason causes them to bounce intermittently, therefore causing your steering wheel to have a slight wobble.

At least that's how it was explained to me by my trusted tire guys.

**And by the way, Mud tires will always drive like this because the tread is spaced so far out that you get the same effect, but engineered that way.

12. May 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    TacoLife08

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    ya my steering wheel basically feels like its having a seizure but why i dont think the tires are to blame is 24 hrs ago i had absolutley no vibration. the difference between today and yesterday is swapping out my stock spindles for Camburg 4" Spindles, so it only makes sense something in the spindle install is causing this vibration

13. May 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah if it's only after that, then yes I'd say it has something to do with the change in geometry of the suspension setup.

Products Discussed in

To Top