1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sliding rear window issue ???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco93, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Dec 30, 2008 at 10:50 AM
    Taco93

Taco93 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Weathertech Floor Liners
    My tacomas rear sliding window has a latch attached to it but there is nowhere for the latch to click to. It almost looks as if there is a plastic piece is missing for the latch to attach to. When I turn on my heater fan, i can hear a whistling comming from the rear window around the seal. If I ever so gentley press the window the whistling goes away. (Very strange) Is there a plastic piece missing for the latch and can I fix this issue? Thanks

2. Dec 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    do you have any pictures? I just slide my rear window hard over and it latches closed.

3. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:06 AM
    Taco93

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport

Here is a picture of the issue. The latch doesn't come close to this piece on the right...you could slide the window from the outside if you really wanted to.

IMG_3225.jpg

4. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:07 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Looks like its not closed all the way. Gotta push it till it clicks

5. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:09 AM
    Taco93

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    I slid the window to take the picture..I can slide it both ways but there is nothing for the latch to click to. It just slids both ways....it looks as if there is a piece missing.

6. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Just went and looked at my 05, your pic is a little hard to see, but on mine the area is raised I would say almost 1/4" for the clip to engage on, by the looks of yours, it is missing.
    I did some close looking, and it appears to my eye's that their are two pieces welded/(sonic)glued together. I may be wrong on this, but my two cents worth.
    If missing and a concern of someone getting in now, get a piece of dowel (square) rod or piece of alum. and cut to fit tightly. This will help before you get it looked at.

7. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:18 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Upon another look, the piece you are showing is the bottom piece on mine missing the top.

8. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:19 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I don't think you are sliding over enough. Make sure the track is clear and the latch is working.

9. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:19 AM
    Taco93

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport

Thanks for the info

10. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    come again. :confused:

11. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:23 AM
    Taco93

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport

I slid the window over to take the picture. The window slides fine both ways but there isn't a raised piece attached so the latch can click to. It almost looks as if there is a plastic piece missing.

12. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:24 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    I think you are right, here is mine
    [​IMG]

13. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:26 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    bad wording I know, brain was working, fingers NOT.
    check out the pic I posted, I may be wrong.

14. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:27 AM
    Taco93

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport

I think you have just answered my question...thanks for the help..looks like I need to find this piece somewhere. Do you think it I could get it at a dealership or something?

15. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:28 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    I have no clue, but I am most sure someone here will know.

16. Dec 30, 2008 at 11:52 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    or a junk yard.
    hopefully, they won't charge you as much as the dealer (check dealer price first!)

17. Jul 20, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    Santi

Santi Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Santiago
    Baja, MEXICO
    Vehicle:
    2005 4WD TRD Off Road Tacoma 6 Spd Short Bed
    JBA headers, TRD exhaust system, Air Aid Throttle Boady Spacer, AFE Cold Air Intake, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Weathertech floor liners, Wet Okole seat covers, I-pod jack, Tuffy steel bed tool box, SUNGtop Camper Shell, ARB high output air compressor, Total Chaos UCA´s, BILSTEIN heigth adjustable shocks.
    Hello

I am on the same situation, with that latch part missing, I checked at a local dealership in SoCal and they do not sale parts for this latches, in other words, they told me that I should look at a junk yard or buy a new and complete rear sliding window and that is what I am doing in a search for in the local SoCal junk yard.

Good luck

Santi.

18. Oct 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    bachm

bachm Member

Member:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    XTang Hard tonneau cover
    When I bought our Toyota Certified used 2009 standard cab Taco, the latch was missing. They had to replace the complete back window at their cost. They couldn't find a used one. So I got a new one!

19. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I dont have access to my truck now, but is it possible to drill through the metal and attach a metal lip for it to hold?

20. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:30 AM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    Yeah that piece is def missing. Mine snapped off when i reached back and shut the window too hard once..... theres 2 sided tape that holds it on and 2 very small screws with torx heads. i cleaned the tape off mine and put it back on with epoxy. I'd say check junkyards and smack it off with a mallet. ha. good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top