1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma Purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ExitusLSU, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Nov 20, 2006 at 11:54 AM
    ExitusLSU

ExitusLSU [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner DCab Short Bed
    Options: DZ - AM/FM/CD w6 Disc Changer
    FE - 50 State Emission
    OC - TRD Offroad Package
    TO - V6 Towing Package
    WT - Window Tint
    BM - Ball Mount
    D0 - Extra Mile Option Package D

I got offered the above vehicle for $25948.82. With the $500 incentive, it drops it down to $25448.82. The particular truck has roughly 660 miles on it (the internet sales manager was using it as a demo truck, drove it to and from his house to work). It's not the color I want, but its close. Think I should bite?

Thanks,
    ExitusLSU

2. Nov 20, 2006 at 12:03 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    That's almost exactly what I'm getting...except for the ball mount and towing package. What color is it?

3. Nov 20, 2006 at 12:06 PM
    ExitusLSU

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Its black... I prefer the indigo ink pearl, but I can settle on the color. It just can't be silver, white, or the bright blue. :D

Oh, do the trucks in SoCal come without the towing package? Everything around here has it, especially if you get the trd packages.

4. Nov 20, 2006 at 1:44 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Decent truck, and what is the extra mile option pkg? Do you think you can squeeze a few more $$$ out of him 'cause he uses it for a demo?

5. Nov 20, 2006 at 2:17 PM
    ExitusLSU

Member:
    Austin, TX
    The Extra Mile Package D includes (at least down here in TX):

Fabric Guard, Carpeted F&R Floor Mats w/Door Sill Protectors, Remote Control Security System & Spare Tire Lock, Stainless Steel Exhaust & Black Running Boards.

I think I may be able to squeeze a few hundred out of him. I plan on seeing if he'll go for it later today. Hopefully he'll bite. I'll definitely buy the truck on the spot if he does. I'll think twice if he doesn't.

6. Nov 20, 2006 at 3:22 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    That's a pretty good deal, if you think of it that way. i would bite on the chance :0)
    Ldytaco05

7. Nov 20, 2006 at 7:53 PM
    ExitusLSU

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Well, he bit so now I'm a new owner of a 2007 Tacoma.:) He didn't even blink an eye when I asked to reduce the price of the vehicle because of the extra miles. He said he'd rather have us as a customer than lose us over a few hundred dollars.

Overall good experience at this dealer, unlike the first one.

8. Nov 20, 2006 at 8:47 PM
    lexusoftrucks

lexusoftrucks Member

Member:
    Hi Taco owners, I have bought several new cars in my day and would like to share some thoughts, so hope you don't mind a little input from an old-school player, I hate to see young people get "taken for a ride" when buying a new or used car. Keep in mind that car dealers are in existence for one reason and one reason only, to make money. When they tell you, "you know, I'm losing money on this deal" they are most likely full of it. First of all, try to avoid ordering a car. Find one you like on the lot and start negotiating. Oh yeah, before you even get to the dealership, do your research, use the internet and try to find the dealer cost(factoring in options) and what you expect to get for your trade in(kbb.com, etc). Remember that the factory offers incentives to dealers so they may have paid even less for the car or truck than published dealer cost. Don't fall for the "how much monthly payment can you afford" line. If possible get financing info from your bank or credit union and bring in the paperwork to see if the dealer can match or beat it. If you see an ad in the paper, bring that in and tell them that you want the same deal. It always helps your negotiating position to have something in writing rather than saying "I saw a better deal in the paper". Don't be afraid to start off by making them a ridiculous lo-ball offer. I did that and the salesman said that if he went to his manager with that offer, he would get fired. I said "so what?". He went to the sales manager and I got the truck for very close to that offer. I don't know if it's just the San Diego area, but Toyota dealers are especially surly and sneaky. On more than one occasion, they took the keys to my trade-in(to do an estimate) while I negotiated w/the salesman. I almost had to call the police to get my keys back. Now I always insist on being present while they check out the trade-in. Finally, don't be afraid to walk away, never show emotion even if you are in love with that shiny blue Pre-runner. Chances are, they will call you back later to counter-offer or accept yours. Be sharp, shrewd, have a thick skin, and be prepared to play hard-ball. Salesmen will insult you, try to intimidate you and outright lie to you(of course not all of them but be wary). Take care and best of luck.

9. Nov 20, 2006 at 11:51 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Congrats bud and may the fun and pride of ownership continue. :)

10. Nov 21, 2006 at 12:05 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Great advice. That’s the way to do it. It works and buyers with this approach are the salesmen’s worst nightmare. I love to walk into a dealership and taking them on a ride they weren’t prepared for. You the Man:cool: . You must Eat Steak!

11. Nov 21, 2006 at 6:18 AM
    ExitusLSU

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Thanks... I've drooled over this truck since it came out in 2005. I remember seeing it on I-10 heading to Baton Rouge, LA. I've wanted it ever since...:)

12. Nov 21, 2006 at 9:04 PM
    TacoKing

TacoKing Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Silver DCab with TLC
    To just add one more thing to lexusoftrucks invaluable advice; ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be willing to walk away. These guys are "trained" to read you. Watching stone faces for 90 minutes only to get a view of the back of your shirt as you exit sans closed deal is a proven tactic when not getting what you want. Again; research, poker face, folder containing all the data relevant to the vehicle and last but certainly not least - a willingness to get up and walk out. I personally saved $4200 (below blue book) on my recent purchase of an '06 Dcab, 4x4, auto, TRD Off Road with 9K mi because I walked out of the dealers office 2 weeks prior over $500 (he was bullsh*tting me and I knew it). And although I wanted that truck soooooo bad I could taste it, I left because I was being hustled (after 2 hours of haggling). Had I not walked out I NEVER would have found the purchased vehicle (via Carmax). Long I know but if it helps just one.......

13. Nov 21, 2006 at 9:11 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Congrats on the purchase!!!!!

You probably saw me headed out west. I left VA in May of 2005 and dropped down to the 10 in Jacksonville and stayed on the 10 until we hit the 5 in California. I remember driving through the southern states and seeing so few Toyota trucks on the road.

BTW Wifes parents live in Mississippi and we stopped there for a few days on the way ot west.

14. Nov 21, 2006 at 9:14 PM
    LovinMyTaco07

LovinMyTaco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I like 'lexusoftrucks' advice. I hate haggeling and barganing..
    I just what I want at a good price (low;) ).
    I walked in told them what I wanted, let them evaluate my trade in and let them make an offer. I laughed when I saw his offer. (litteraly... I don't think he liked that I laughed in front of him) And then I handed him a paper with what I wanted for the truck and how much we wanted for the trade in. He took it to his sales manager and a while later he came back and we started working on the financing... It was easy... I got it for $500 over invoice (I doubt that there were any incetives because this was an '07 and we just bought it on Halloween).

15. Nov 22, 2006 at 6:48 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Lexusotrucks advice was right on. The sneaky dealer do take keys from you and hide your trade in so you can't see it, usually somewhere out in back of the dealership. At least that used to be the case in some of the dealers here in Mass. This state used to be the height of crooked dealers. These days with so many lawyers around they do do that any more.
    Doing your home work and being willing to say "no thanks". One good tactic is to find another dealer close by that has a similar or exact truck/car and use that to your advantage, by saying that dealer xxxx has the same thing and you will talk to them next.
    The dealer I bought my truck from is the largest dealer in Mass. and owns 9 dealerships of various makes. When I talked to my salesman and he did not have the truck I exactly wanted , I found it at another dealer closer to home. He told me that they would match prices and I eventually had my original dealer get the truck for me, he gave me a song and dance about how they would make him go get the truck(30 min away). I told him he was full of it, of course they sent one of their yard guys with a similar truck up to the dealer and they switched trucks.
    You would have thought I tried to take his first born child. Like Lexusoftrucks said, they are interested in making a sale, getting your hard earned cash and blowing you out the door.
    In the end my truck listed for $26,200, manufactures suggested price was 22K, I got it for 21K. it has $2,500 worth of options on it.
    You certainly don't have to feel sorry for the dealership, they make plenty of money, my dealer has 20 salesmen on every day, they are open 7days a week for sales and service, they have 10-15tech's on duty at all times, 6 service writers, three finance guys who complete all the final paperwork. I would have to say they have a staff of 60 at least every day. The service writers and tech's work in shifts 7am-9pm 4days a week and then a whole new crew comes in for the next three then they rotate back.
    They also have 10 large couch's to sit while you are waiting and another separate area with chairs and a plasma screen tv and another area for mother's and father's with children to play in.
    Free coffee and water etc. So lets not cry for these guys. Bargain as hard as you can. I could have done better perhaps but I haven't bought a new vehicle in 20yrs and was probably a littel rusty.

06 4x4 access cab, V6, 6spd, factory trailer(3000)hitch.

16. Nov 22, 2006 at 5:57 PM
    ExitusLSU

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Damn... that's a hard drive, especially the stretch through Texas. I sure as hell don't envy that drive.=)

Do you own a red Tacoma?

17. Dec 2, 2006 at 9:28 PM
    WikidR6nTL

WikidR6nTL New Member

Member:
    So today my dad and I went to two dealerships. Told me that we wanted 07 taco 4x2 dcab, short bed, with sport package. Offered 23kOTD to both dealership and ofcourse had to walk out, so we'll see where this goes.

Also what do other Californians paying for something like this?

first dealership had short and long bed but second only had long bed but both had color of our choice. They wouldn't budge so we stayed tough and walked out

18. Dec 3, 2006 at 1:14 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Dealers are not desperate to push 07's yet. Try again towards end of December. Cheers

19. Dec 4, 2006 at 11:19 AM
    ExitusLSU

Member:
    Austin, TX
    When you say OTD are you including ttl or is $23k before ttl?

I'm not sure if there a huge price difference between California and Texas on the Tacomas, but after looking at Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds, the invoice on a 2007 Tacoma Prerunner DCab with the Sport Package is roughly $24698.00.

From KBB:
    7188 2WD Pickup 4D 5 ft 20,247.00 22,340.00
    Destination Charge 645.00 645.00
    Sport Pkg #1, TRD 2,586.00 3,220.00
    w/5' Bed

Your destination charge may be different depending on where you live and you have to take into consideration on the equipment that is included with your Tacoma. So just based on what you said above, I'm not sure you can get a Taco for what you are asking for. $23KOTD is roughly $1,500 below invoice. Not sure if you can get one for that price, but maybe a different model (like Access cab).

I just recently purchased a 2007 Tacoma Prerunner Dcab with the TRD Offroad package (with optional equipment) for roughly $25400. It was about 300 above invoice. I did all my shopping via the internet, looked at dealer inventory for the truck I wanted (so I can see what was included package wise) and went to KBB, Edmunds, Yahoo auto to get the price of the vehicle.
    Its a lot less stressful doing it that way.

ExitusLSU

20. Oct 10, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Wow have prices changed :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top