1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP 2012 shark fin XM antenna removal???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Molon Labe, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Jul 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    Molon Labe

Molon Labe [OP] Never LBS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica DC TRD 4x4 Auto V6
    see my build
    Ok, so I just got my BAJA roof rack :D(the one that mounts directly to the roof not the OEM roof rack) anyway, the rear of the rack is resting on my shark fin XM antenna.:mad: The antenna is preventing the rack from engaging the mounting brackets. I plan on calling BAJA Racks Wed; however, I am not sure what they can do about it. The rack would need to be raised about 1" with spacers to clear the antenna. I would like to just move the antenna back about 1" and the rack can sit flush just fine.

So looking at the antenna I do not see any easy way to remove it. I need to know if I have to remove the interior head liner to get to it or is it just held on with double sided tape like the badges were???:confused:

Another option would be to simply cut the tip of the shark fin off, then refinish it with fiberglass and repaint it but this would also require it to be removed.

Any help would be appreciated

here is a picture of the fin and rack. I currently have the rack sitting on some foam until I get this worked out.
    sharkfin_356bf07c488dd1a880db96264afcbd507d18699d.jpg

2. Jul 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    TacomaBuilder67

TacomaBuilder67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Antonio,TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner DCSB V6 TRD Sport MGM
    Bull Bar, KC Apollo Lights, LED interior lights, TRD Center Caps,Tailgate Anti Theft Mod,TRD Shorty antenna,
    You have to remove the headliner and the left side headliner spacer. Then there is a nut with a plastic insulator you must remove to take off the sharkfin. Unfortunately there are 2 holes in the roof. 1 for an alignment pin (used to help align the sharkfin correctly) and another hole for the threaded part of the antenna to secure it to the roof.

3. Jul 17, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Belt sander:notsure:

4. Jul 17, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    Molon Labe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    see my build
    Thanks for the information Tacomabuilder67, Zonks you may be closer to the solution than you think.
    Ok so even with the two holes, are they close enought to the middle of the fin to allow me to move it forward or back about an inch? I can drill a new hole if needed but I would want the fin to still cover the old hole?

Another question is, is the actual antenna inside the fin or is the fin the antenna? Could I simply modify the fin without affecting the XM or is there wires inside the fin its self? I am guessing the fin is simply a cover but I could be wrong.

Depending on what BAJA racks tell me, I may end up cutting the rack, but I do not want to do that.

Thanks for the help

5. Jul 17, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    Molon Labe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    see my build
    Hold on there you young whippersnapper. Thanks for the offer but actually I would like to keep the antenna and the stock look of the truck if possible. But thanks for the offer.

6. Jul 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Would moving the rack forward 1" work? Should be relatively simple to make relocation brackets similar to those used for swaybars.

7. Jul 17, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    TacomaBuilder67

TacomaBuilder67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Antonio,TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner DCSB V6 TRD Sport MGM
    Bull Bar, KC Apollo Lights, LED interior lights, TRD Center Caps,Tailgate Anti Theft Mod,TRD Shorty antenna,
    I sent you a PM Molon Labe. If someone has a 2010 Flat satellite antenna and is willing to trade you, I would trade them for it (whippersnapper02 you can thank me later :D). These 2 antennas will interchange and use the same wire and connector as well as same mounting hardware. This way you can mount both the roof rack and satellite radio antenna without having to use a grinder and fiberglass to reshape the 'Fin. :headbang:

8. Jul 18, 2012 at 2:16 AM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Yeah your best bet is to swap the fin for the older style square xm antenna. Baja rack was designed around the older square style xm antenna. My 2009 had a square bump style xm antenna, and my 2012 has the fin style.

9. Jul 19, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    Molon Labe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    see my build
    Well I spoke to BAJA racks and it appears that they will be sending me a new rack that will fit around the shark fin. Stay tuned.

10. Jul 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    Molon Labe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    see my build
    WOW! I just spoke to the owner of BAJA Racks. They are sending me a new rack with the cutout for the shark fin. In addition (and I guess to prepare for the 2013s) they are now offering three 2nd gen racks. A whole new model for the shark fin. Well its the same as the other bolt on rack but it allows for the shark fin.
    here is the link:
    http://www.bajarack.com/toyota-tacoma-series

Anyway, I am really impressed with the customer service and their willingness to make me happy with the product.
    I highly recommend BAJA racks if you are looking for a bolt on roof rack.

I will do a review or something on the rack once I get the new one.

11. Jul 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Has your new Baja Rack arrived? I look forward to seeing pictures of it installed when your finished. :)

12. Jul 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Molon Labe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    see my build
    Crom, it has not. Its not going to ship till the 31st. I will do a full write-up on it and the install once I get it. Look for it in the 2nd gen thread. Thanks for the interest.

13. Mar 5, 2015 at 5:31 PM
    the dashing ham

the dashing ham Taco n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB rattle can
    yes, I have done the mods
    So super old thread revive, but just throwing it out there - I'm on the lookout for a >2010 satellite "flat" antenna to trade for my 2012 shark fin antenna. Got the same dilemma as Molon Labe did - my new Prinsu roof rack is gonna have clearance issues with the shark fin. If anybody wants to trade for the newer antenna, let me know.

14. Aug 30, 2016 at 9:06 PM
    phil2surf

phil2surf New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma v6 access cab
    none
    Taking advice from you"all I bought a 2011 color coded stock fin, height about 1/2 inch, to replace the sharkfin on my 2012. I have an old Davlin overhead camper shell
    that would not clear it. On one of the posts the gentleman suggested buying the nut also with the new replacement. Good thing I did cause the 2012 nut
    was slightly bigger than the replacement 2011. Anyway I have found your site to be extremely valuable. thanks for the advice.....

Products Discussed in

To Top