1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen fully assembled air locking 3rd members

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Turd Herding Jim, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Jul 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Turd Herding Jim [OP] What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    3" Icon Stage 3 lift, All Pro Off Road APEX front bumper, Amor Tech Off Road high clearance rear bumer, Armor Tech Off Road rock sliders. URD Short Shifter, HID Headlights, Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 285/75-16 Falken Rock Mountain ATS tires, 4.56's with front and rear ARB air lockers, BesTop Soft Cover
    For those of us with the 2nd gens who would like to get air lockers but aren't really sure if we want to shell out a whole lot of money to have a shop install them. Check out East Coast Gear Supply and give them a call. The sell assembled 3rd members for the front and rear diffs with gearing of your choice. They offer free ground shipping for orders over $500, which is a given with this upgrade. All they request is you mail them your current 3rd members back to them. They include a shipping label with the new ones so all you have to do is put the used ones in the new ones box and drop them off at the post office.

I just bought fully assembled front and rear air locker diffs with 4.56 gears and the compressor kit for just north of $3200. A local shop quoted me almost $5k for a air locker install and re-gear in my stock diffs. this is a pretty good deal IMHO and worth checking out. Not sure if other gear shops offer fully assembled 3rd members.

2. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    Tommy27

Tommy27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Boise,ID
    Vehicle:
    White 09 AC 4x4 2.7 5spd SR5
    Leer shell, Bed mat, Grill Guard
    I wonder how much for just a rear locker install on a 4banger?

3. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    3" Icon Stage 3 lift, All Pro Off Road APEX front bumper, Amor Tech Off Road high clearance rear bumer, Armor Tech Off Road rock sliders. URD Short Shifter, HID Headlights, Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 285/75-16 Falken Rock Mountain ATS tires, 4.56's with front and rear ARB air lockers, BesTop Soft Cover
    2.7 is what I got brother, and according to my receipt that would cost $1545 shipped to your door. you could install yourself or have a shop put it in

4. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    ECGS has a reputation for doing fantastic installs. They also have an excellent website with pricing allowing you to pick and choose options.

5. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    I was surprised to not see them in the vendor section on here, and if I didn't have the people and resources that i do here I would definitely make the couple hour trip twice to have them do it for me! But I'm all for saving hundreds of $$$$ on labor charges if I know I can get the job done right

6. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    I have been looking for an excuse (read the money) to send them both of my diffs for re-gear. I even thought of taking a vacation down that way and having them do all the work.

7. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    would be worth it...then again that vacation could be used for this (not so secret trip)

8. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ooh. That is right around my anniversary. I could surprise the wife!

9. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    nothing says I love you more than telling your wife she has to poop in the woods! :rofl:

10. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Way better than Baltimore's Inner Harbor like last year.

11. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
  12. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    I actually drove down to ECGS to have my gears and lockers installed. (made it worth my while and stopped by ATO as well) They did a great job installing and setting everything up aside from a couple small details. I'm a little picky and noticed they hadn't used split loom over the air lines (which was ran above the exhaust heat shields) and they routed the power wires from the compressor along the firewall and straight across the fuse box to the battery. It would have been nice to see the installer go that extra little mile to route those wires along the firewall and fender to the battery but oh well I'll just reroute them myself.

I also like how clean the switches turned out in the overhead console.

Chase is an awesome guy to deal with and i couldn't be happier with the install. They come highly recommend and i can see why.

13. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    can you post pics for where they installed your switches?

14. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I drove 12 hrs One Way :eek: for the peace of mind having it done properly.

15. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Absolutely, just snapping a couple pics right now. I actually forgot to snap pics when i got home, so excuse the crappy cell phone pics.

16. Jul 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Is that just a request or part of the deal?

17. Jul 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    You don't have to but they'll charge you for a core.

Installing is pretty simple all things considered. Just a little labor, but nothing overly complicated about it. Read some tutorials on here and go at it.

18. Jul 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    Gylar, still waitin' on those pics...

19. Jul 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Sorry Jim, last night Photobucket was acting up and wouldn't allow me to upload any pics for some reason. Oh well, i took some better pics in the daylight anyways so here ya go.

I wanted to leave room for more switches so i had them install off center...
    [​IMG]

I'll never figure why they ran the wires directly across my fusebox and not along the fender.... :confused: (damn, i need an aux fuse box badly!)
    [​IMG]

You can see the split loom i've already ran along the air lines. Still need to cover the rest up tho...
    [​IMG]

20. Jul 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    Looks good man. I see what you're saying about the under hood wiring.

Products Discussed in

To Top