1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing with my 2012 V6 4WD Tacoma....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Alan in GA, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Sep 4, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    Alan in GA

Alan in GA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Powder Springs, Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Off Road 4x4
    tool chest, company logo/decals
    I'm back from a weekend vacation at the lake. Towed my aprox. #1200-#1400 boat with my Double Cab V6 4x4 Taco. Wondered about using 'D' and just now read a bunch of posts.
    Here is what I did before reading up on it:
    Drove in 'D' only if running 70mph to 78mph [trailer has tall tires and no sway]. Drove in '4' if under 70mph or in hilly areas.
    I never use 'D' if it hunts more than only an occasional downshift when steep hill comes.
    One thing I did not see in the posts that I read: what about engine oil pressure/oil film strength when your engine turns lower rpms AND is pulling a trailer....even if your trans does not 'hunt'? What is the lowest towing RPM recommended if towing and in 'D'?
    I only used 'D' on the expressway here in Georgia and most is FLAT or only mild inclines.
    Also, I don't like shifting between 'D' and '4' when at speed. It works ok but I 'feel' a little more mechanism 'working' than seems good. Best to decide what you are going to need to be in, and select your gear when going slow or at a stop?

2. Sep 4, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    shifting between "D" and "4" while driving doesnt affect the tranny at all.

3. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    What color is your truck? That way I can pull off the shoulder when I see you barrel a$$in' in my rear view. 70-78 with a trailer? Really?

4. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    What would be the issue? Ive towed my boat at that speed (Posted ranges from 65 to 75). never had any sway issues, or anything.

5. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Ah. Out here, you can tow at the speed limits. Yeah, you need to be aware of your stopping distance, but Ive towed as much as 15,000#'s with my Dodge, and never had an issue. Dont tailgate, and make sure the road ahead is clear, and your good.

6. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    Not a problem for me. Those are the vehicles you see rolled over 5 miles ahead, in a hurry to go no where. I'm surprised you condone it. I choose not to. Florida's highest speed limit is 70. I tow at 65 with trailer brakes. I've had tow vehicles pass me to get to the Key's, and let's just say,it's scary. We also no longer have vehicle inspections in Fla. which adds to the problem.

7. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    there are no laws out here stateing you cant go the speed limit. And as I said, Ive never had issue, nor felt the truck was acting in an unsafe manor. I guess if you dont know what your doing when towing, it could be a problem. Only issues I have ever seen were from people driving stupid. Too fast around corners, or late braking at an intersection.

8. Sep 4, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    Alan in GA

Alan in GA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Powder Springs, Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Off Road 4x4
    tool chest, company logo/decals
    Yes it's too fast probably. The rig does trailer without any sway at all and in the Atlanta area on I-20 you will be an obstruction in the 70mph zones as traffic FLOW is about 75 mph when you get a few dozen miles outside I-285.
    Actually the manual sets the trailering limit at 65mph if I read it correctly.
    My boat is light and if I added up the components correctly it weighs 1200 lbs.
    I think I eased up to 75 mph because it felt like I could run in OD and flow with traffic in the RIGHT lane! Get in the left lanes and you better be doing 75+ if you want to 'flow with traffic'.
    You are correct and it would be foolish to argue the speed issue. Running in '4' at 65mph would give a wider margine of safety but you might even be holding up traffic in the far right 'slow' lane around here in Georgia! And of course the gap in front should be large enough for emergency braking.....and of course other cars like to frog leap around and keep you backing up in line.

Oh,,,,Gray.

9. Sep 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    Clint44

Clint44 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Guess some of you better stay outta Texas. Our speed limits range from 70 to 85mph. Our Tacoma pulls our 7x10 trailer & Boss Hoss trike (approx 2,800lbs total) easily at 70mph.

Products Discussed in

To Top