1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody's mileage drop when its time for a oil change

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chastain90, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    chastain90

chastain90 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I was driving down the interstate and went 30 miles on a 1/4 tank. I was kinda shocked it usually goes farther than that. Its time for a oil change jist wondered if that happens to anybody else?

2. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    hakabo

hakabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 urban runner 4x4
    i think i have noticed that too. no numbers to back it up though... i get crappy mileage anyway, my truck also doubles as a papa johns delivery vehicle 3-4 nights a week

3. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I suppose that is possible but it would be very minimal I would think. I know people claim to get better mpg from using synthetic oil. Again, maybe but very minimal imo. I've switched to synthetic on a couple of vehicle's and didn't see any change so I wouldn't think oil breaking down would cause enough to be noticeable. That's just my 2 cents.

4. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Track your mileage using Fuelly or on a spreadsheet.

You can't go by the gauge... it's a gauge, not a meter, and 1/4 tank at the top is not 1/4 tank at the bottom. Hell, when my low fuel light is on and the needle is tickling "E", I still have 4 gallons left... that's almost 1/4 tank.

Fuel economy does not change due to differences in the oil (or the computer) during the 5000 miles.
    The "change oil" light is simply a timer that goes off at 5000 miles. The computer doesn't know when or if you change your oil.

Driving conditions make a HUGE difference in economy. I can blow a perfectly good 200-mile tank from an average of 25.5 down to 24 with only 30 miles of shopping with the wife. Stop and go city driving is a killer.

5. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I've been driving alot on the interstate lately and the fuel economy IS excellent (drove 3/4 plus across New York State on barely 1/4 tank of gas) I'm impressed; around town not so much.

At Highway speeds and in the right speed range (5th) with the DT header this little 4 banger ( I think power to weight helps, as well) is blowing away the Fords and Dodges (in my opinion) I'm coming across out there

3 years into ownership of this truck; zero problems and (unbelievably!) no regrets.

Oil? Oh ya, change it. It helps. I like the synthetic because is doesn't build up sludge.

6. Sep 9, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    I find my OR gets horrible mileage compared to my plain PreRunner I had before. Can't be the tries waste 70+ miles, do they?

Products Discussed in

To Top