1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DTRL melting lenses - Possible Solution?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Badwin45, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
    My 2010 has the 2-wire plug (for whatever that's worth) and is melting the lenses. I've read around here that the 4157's can be replaced with a 3157 as the wattage is lower on the larger filament. In looking at the bases of the 3157's, the tabs on the base are slightly different and would require some minor filing to fit in the bulb socket. No big deal if you want to go that route.

While looking at the OEM bulbs, I noticed that when the bulb is illuminated, BOTH filaments are burning, regardless of whether you're signalling or not.

I wondered if disabling the low wattage filament would reduce temps inside the housing enough to eliminate melting. I can't answer that yet. I HAVE been able to verify that at least On Sylvania bulbs, the wires on the base of the bulb that are the closest to the outside of the base are connected to the high wattage filament. Therefore, by removing the two innermost wires, you can disable the low wattage filament. That will reduce the heat output of the bulb but as I don't have an IR thermometer, I don't know how much. Light output on my p/u wasn't noticeably affected.

Thoughts?

2. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
  3. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I just got some and love'em........LED's create less heat and use less energy

4. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  5. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
    Yes, I realize that there are LEDs out there as well as other mods, I wanted to find a solution that was cheap/free and worked. I don't know that it DOES work yet though and had somewhat hoped that someone with an IR thermometer would give it a try and tell us what the temp differential was.

6. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Go with the on off switch, very simple and cheep, switch was a couple of bucks and I had the wire.

7. Sep 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    this ^^^ ..........although it only took 15 min to install LED's and is fairly easy, it would be a lot cheaper to go the other route. idk if anyone has an IR thermometer but it's possible someone will chime in

Products Discussed in

To Top