1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I Wait To Buy A New Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lexus Bigfoot, Oct 2, 2012.

?

Wait or Not to Wait

1. Wait 6 months untill school is over

41 vote(s)
    83.7%
  2. Don't wait and risk it

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. Oct 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Lexus Bigfoot

Lexus Bigfoot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NJ
    First I would like to say Hi. As you can see i am a new member, but I've been following you guys for a while and love all of your trucks. With that here is my Question. Should I wait to buy a new tacoma? as of December i turn 18 and currently drive a 2000 Tundra sr5 in great condition the truck runs great with only 78000 miles. The only problem I'm having about buying a new tacoma is that I dont want to park it at my school and have it ruind because these kids have no respect for anybodys property. I do however graduate in June. Do you guys think it is worth going through dealing with kids ruining a new truck. Yes I know it is a truck and will get damaged while wheeling eventualy but if it is I want it to be because of me and not others.

2. Oct 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    Parking far away and walking isn't an option?

3. Oct 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    Lexus Bigfoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NJ
    just about every spot in the lot is taken. parking far away is only on a good day 3 spots from the furthest car.

4. Oct 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    My response would be you aren't even 18 yet and you want to buy a brand new vehicle? Idk, maybe you are inheriting a large amount of money and a healthy income... But when I was 18 the last thing I needed was a $500 car payment...

5. Oct 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Why do you feel you need to put yourself in debt with a new truck? Live within your means, and it seems as though your 2000 model is doing just fine..

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

6. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    they have a valid point ^^^^^

7. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    Lexus Bigfoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NJ
    I do get a good sum of money. and i also work a well paying job. plus my dad works for toyota so i get the discount from that. and dont pay my own insurance. im not the kind of kid to make money and spend it right away. i like to save and respect all my possesions

8. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    chadderkdawg

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Well teenage economics aside, sounds like you shouldn't get something that you fear may be vandalized at some point, and wait until you can protect your investment in a better way.

9. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    As my dad and grandpa said, "if you can't buy it in cash, you shouldn't buy it at all". This advice doesn't condemn loans, but rather promotes responsible borrowing.

10. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    Sounds like you just want a new truck to have a new truck, is there anything a new taco will give you hat your tundra won't? I recommend doing a mode that could be universal to a new truck that should get you out of the slump of wanting a new vehicle (works for me anyway)

11. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    This, I'm 21 good paying job graduated college and had enough to buy my truck outright but decided to do the monthly payments because I want to keep my money and save for a good down payment on a house.

12. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    Lexus Bigfoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NJ
    it would deffinatly be paid for in cash.
    i can totaly agree with you. alot of people I talk to about it say the same thing and I should wait. I'm just trying to bring my question to more fellow truck lovers.

p.s. I am by no meens irresponsable in any way

13. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    Lexus Bigfoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NJ
    the only problem with my truck now is the 4 wheel drive actuator is shot. and being that my dad is a toyota machanic he says it is not worth fixing. a new truck would give me the ability to go off-road were my truck now can't.

14. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    chadderkdawg

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    You seem like you have your ducks in a row anyway... Again, if it was me, I would invest the cash you would be using on a new truck into a CD or even setup a stock portfolio... While Toyota's retain value well, you will never get your money back out of a vehicle... The Tundy seems sufficient, maybe get some mods for it, throw on a supercharger or something to make it more enjoyable for you to drive....

15. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    pbcolt

pbcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra DC Limited 4x4
    That is exactly what I did but 23 here. Graduated, got a great job and started looking. Had the cash, could and still can pay it off with 1 check, but investing will make me more than the 3% I have for my auto rate. I really would recommend getting through college if you can on what you have, and then reward yourself when you graduate with a new truck.

16. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    Lexus Bigfoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NJ
    i like to have others inputs on some things. i ask you guy because from what i read from most of you "for the most part" you all seem logical on your thinking and actions

17. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    I would keep the Tundra at least until you are out of school. Based on your description of a very clean and reliable first gen Tundra, I wouldn't worry about Tacoma for some time even after school. Do you want more room ie DC Taco? Or are you after 4x4? (Assuming your Tundra is 2wd) Better mileage? Just wondering what are you looking for in your next truck as yours looks like its just breaking in. :thumbsup:

Edit: I see some of my questions to OP where already answered and more info provided in the last few minutes while I was typing my response. :turtleride::anonymous:

18. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Wait until school is over. The 6 months will go by really fast

19. Oct 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    Lexus Bigfoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NJ
    yes i do want more room from the DC and im after the 4x4. reason being i love to be off road. also i am a bigtime fisherman and enjoy driving on the beach to go fishing. but my truck now cannot get on the beach because on the 4x4 problem it has. Mileage doesnt really bother me because im getting 12mpg right now which is less then a highly modified taco, for the most part.

20. Oct 2, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    Lexus Bigfoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NJ
    its about 1000+ at my dads cost (works at toyota) he says its not worth having it done tho

Edit: My sisters fiance has a 2010 DC and going from the back of his to mine is deffinatly a noticable differance. even tho i wont be in the back. i still like the style of the DC and the size of the interior compared to mine

Products Discussed in

To Top