Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   Tire decision???? need a lil help !! (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/247790-tire-decision-need-lil-help.html)

devman80 11-08-2012 08:11 AM

Tire decision???? need a lil help !!
 
2 Attachment(s)
I really want the bf goodrich all terrain t/a ko and my dealer is trying to get me to buy dick cepek Radial F-C II.

any advice out there? also for the bfg's should i go 10ply or 8 ply... 10 got the white letters which id rather?

AWorthyOpponent 11-08-2012 08:14 AM

What size are you looking for? BFG is CLEARLY a better tire...

The BFG A/T should have the white lettering on one side and not the other regardless...

I would shy away from the load range E tires...

devman80 11-08-2012 08:16 AM

@ 285/70/r17 the white letter only comes 10 ply.... id rather a lighter tire but .. also want the whites

Highland Logan 11-08-2012 08:16 AM

Drop both. The Grabber AT2, by General is on paper a better all around performer. And very quiet on the road.

Frank

Pugga 11-08-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent (Post 5962355)
I would shy away from the load range E tires...

^x2. Load E is overkill for the little Tacoma (so is load D in my opinion). I don't know much about the Dick Cepek tires but I'm not a fan of the BFG A/Ts. I think there are much better options when it comes to A/T tires.

AWorthyOpponent 11-08-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devman80 (Post 5962364)
@ 285/70/r17 the white letter only comes 10 ply.... id rather a lighter tire but .. also want the whites

I'll let someone else chime in here, but my 8ply on my last truck had the lettering...

devman80 11-08-2012 08:20 AM

ive rid the bfgs on my ol ford i use to have.... not too noisy ... lasted a while... great performance .... im not to clear on ranges and specs?? any help?

BakerTaco 11-08-2012 08:22 AM

I've got black wall BFG A/Ts and LOVE them. I had the white wall ones before and I personally think the black looks way better/cleaner. Also these tires perform well on and off road. Last upwards of 50,000 miles!

devman80 11-08-2012 08:24 AM

id rather 8 ply ... but still like the look of white walls/letter.... bakertaco do you find the 8ply alot harder on gas?? and is the taco pinning them with any issue?

aidenhardcore 11-08-2012 08:25 AM

Hey op, I would stay away from load e!!!!! I had the grabbers and the bfg ats and both were load e and yes It's an overkill. These trucks dont need a load e tire to preform great. It killed my gas millage. I lost about 2 to 3 mpg:eek:. Its so not worth it. I wouldn't go higher then a load c. Its a great load range, still not to heavy and great offroad.

HighTideTaco 11-08-2012 08:34 AM

I can't comment too much on Load relevance (noob), but FYI, I recently bought General Grabber AT2s instead of BFG A/Ts. Performance has been excellent, road noise/drive satisfactory, and I saved c. $75/tire. Hope that helps.

Also, I posted pics upon request, so you can have a look if that's of interest: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post5756018

devman80 11-08-2012 08:36 AM

i really like the aggressiveness of the bfg ta ko... they only come in Lts tho

BakerTaco 11-08-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devman80 (Post 5962397)
id rather 8 ply ... but still like the look of white walls/letter.... bakertaco do you find the 8ply alot harder on gas?? and is the taco pinning them with any issue?

Obviously moving to an over-sized tire is gonna drop the MPGs a little. As for me, I haven't been able to get a spot on number because the odometer is programed for the 265 stock tires. With my 265s I got about 17-17.5 Now with the 285s I get about 16-16.5 You've just gotta drive conservatively. Also, the tires require more power from the engine. It pushes at about 100RPMs more that stock. Overall, this is a very small setback: 1 MPG lost. The BFG A/Ts are very good on gas for how well they perform on and off road.

520Toyota 11-08-2012 08:44 AM

Got 75000 on the Cooper ST with at least 1/4 inch thread remaining. I only run Cooper on my trucks.

ntilehman 11-08-2012 08:44 AM

hey man,
i just got some BFG AT's. I love em and they are the 10 ply range E tires. I havent noticed much drop in mpg. I do some heavy hauling and crush the range c tires. plus i like the white letters too. not sure about whether or not they come in other range's. I dont hear them on the road at all. Off road traction is very capable for what i do in the desert.

devman80 11-08-2012 08:45 AM

i really like the agressiveness of the bfg t/a kos.... they only come in lts for 285/70/r17s ... 10 or 8 ply.... local dealer says 10 ply only for white letter... but just called bfg themselves.... guy said white letter on all.... but he didn't sound to sure of himself to me!! any body out there running 285/70/17 bfg t/a ko 8ply white letter????

devman80 11-08-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntilehman (Post 5962472)
hey man,
i just got some BFG AT's. I love em and they are the 10 ply range E tires. I havent noticed much drop in mpg. I do some heavy hauling and crush the range c tires. plus i like the white letters too. not sure about whether or not they come in other range's. I dont hear them on the road at all. Off road traction is very capable for what i do in the desert.


any pics??

ntilehman 11-08-2012 08:49 AM

sure can bud. here ya go
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...a/IMG_2443.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...a/IMG_2438.jpg

AWorthyOpponent 11-08-2012 08:50 AM

FWIW, I have never seen a BFG A/T that hasn't had the lettering...it may be facing inward, but its still there...

SoCaltaco65 11-08-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devman80 (Post 5962343)
I really want the bf goodrich all terrain t/a ko and my dealer is trying to get me to buy dick cepek Radial F-C II.

any advice out there? also for the bfg's should i go 10ply or 8 ply... 10 got the white letters which id rather?


I Just replaced my Generals with MT baja ATZ's loving them, the have nice on road manners, not too noisy, and so far work well offroad including sand. I purchased them from 4wheelonline, no sales tax and free shipping.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:26 AM.