Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   Scratched wheel flares (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/249908-scratched-wheel-flares.html)

Mdowling56 11-21-2012 11:34 PM

Scratched wheel flares
 
Hi all,

So I found out the other day that the stock fenders / flares scratch pretty damn easy. Cut it a bit close pulling into a parking spot and ended up brushing up against shrub.

Nothing too bad, 3 or 4 pretty noticeable scratches, but I think / hope that they just in the clear. I'll post a pic a bit later.

I picked up a tube of ScratchX and worked the scratches over for a bit. It deffinily knocked them down a bit but you can still the scratch faintly.

I guess my question is, how much elbow grease should I put behind trying to work these scratches out? Can I damage the finish if I go at it with to much scratchX? Lastly, is ScratchX even the right product for this situation?

Thanks everyone!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/...3250ECE02C.jpg

Rich91710 11-22-2012 12:43 AM

If you can feel the scratches with a fingernail, the clearcoat is damaged and the only proper repair is a buff and repaint.

4banger09 11-22-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich91710 (Post 6028777)
If you can feel the scratches with a fingernail, the clearcoat is damaged and the only proper repair is a buff and repaint.

From what I have read on here the flares aren't even clear coated

StormTrooperTaco 11-22-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdowling56 (Post 6028682)
Hi all,

So I found out the other day that the stock fenders / flares scratch pretty damn easy. Cut it a bit close pulling into a parking spot and ended up brushing up against shrub.

Nothing too bad, 3 or 4 pretty noticeable scratches, but I think / hope that they just in the clear. I'll post a pic a bit later.

I picked up a tube of ScratchX and worked the scratches over for a bit. It deffinily knocked them down a bit but you can still the scratch faintly.

I guess my question is, how much elbow grease should I put behind trying to work these scratches out? Can I damage the finish if I go at it with to much scratchX? Lastly, is ScratchX even the right product for this situation?

Thanks everyone!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/...3250ECE02C.jpg

Detail shop with a rotary can prob get those to disappear.

Rich91710 11-22-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4banger09 (Post 6028780)
From what I have read on here the flares aren't even clear coated

If it's a metallic paint, it's cleared.

The clear on parts of my wife's '04 Rav4 has failed.
The steel parts aren't bad... just some discoloration and you can see where the clear "wants" to lift, but it's holding.
The entire top of her spare tire cover has peeled off.
The super dark metallic blue is actually a sweet matte under the clear, similar to the blue Kawasaki Ninja from a couple of years ago.

TacoDell 11-22-2012 01:07 AM

yeah... muh fender flare has a coupla scratches too.
I wasn't sure if you would be able to see them :D

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/p...f/SN851410.jpg

Enzo 11-22-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacoDell (Post 6028803)
yeah... muh fender flare has a coupla scratches too.
I wasn't sure if you would be able to see them :D

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/p...f/SN851410.jpg

Yea there's a few.:D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 AM.