Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   Strange Noise when engine shuts off (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/254847-strange-noise-when-engine-shuts-off.html)

Roger in AZ 12-25-2012 07:11 PM

Strange Noise when engine shuts off

I have a new 2013 Tacoma with the 4.0 V6 and it makes a strange noise when the engine shuts off. The noise sounds like some solenoid engaging or disengaging. Is this sound normal for this vehicle and what is causing the noise? To hear the noise please check out the youtube link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvAXQLxRfwU

Thanks

Roger

DoorDing 12-25-2012 07:17 PM

Welcome to TW!

If you're referring to the high pitched whine, my Offroad does the same thing. I believe it's the brake booster charging before shutdown, but I may be wrong.

KenLyns 12-25-2012 07:23 PM

Sounds like the air pump shutting down.

EATABULLETcom 12-25-2012 07:25 PM

Yes it is Completely normal. Its the pump for the new exhaust system they start ed adding in 2012

DoorDing 12-25-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenLyns (Post 6179335)
Sounds like the air pump shutting down.

Thanks! I stand corrected.

OP, another frequently puzzling sound comes from the a pump pressurizing the fuel system, hours after it's been parked. It's near the tank, and the sound comes from near the LR wheel well. It's normal. That one, I'm pretty sure about. :)

dtoy4me 12-25-2012 07:47 PM

Mine does it also. So can I still change my exhaust from cat back without any issues?

Terras 12-26-2012 03:28 PM

Noise on shut-down

Here is what I have heard, read on the internet, and was told by Toyota. When I first took a Silver DC for a test drive, upon the return to the dealer, the air purging sound was rather loud. At that time I did not know what it was. I took a different model, Magnetic Gray, out and liked that package better and bought it. It too does the 'gasping' sound on shutdown. After a trip to the Dealer, the Shop Mgr and I heard it on mine and he wanted to keep my vehicle. I told him he had a whole lot full of 2013's, and just fire one up, let it warm up, and shut it off. They didn't have to keep mine, he had plenty to try it out on. He called several days later. It is the new Smog Pump purging the pressure in the system. This is a new pump and only is installed on Tacomas. I wrote Toyota that it is rather a bad selling point when in the Safeway/Walmart lot, and everyone around stares at you as your shut off the truck. The Mgr stated that if enough folks write Toyota, they 'might' try to develop a fix. Such as a different valve that would allowed slower exhaust speed, or a muffler of sorts. Until then, we will hear this always. It is embarrassing, and I do not know how Engineering was allowed to go forward into production with this making such a racket. I am trying to think of a sound reducer 'muffler', that might vent further under the truck. Just stuck with it for now. Darn.

wildjerseyfirefighter 12-26-2012 03:31 PM

Tell everyone it's just your turbo..it's cool then.

P9HST2 12-26-2012 03:34 PM

I heard it for the first time in all it's glory just a week ago. I had moved the truck two feet so it was only running 20 seconds, and after I shut it off and got out I heard the fairly loud and really cool sound. I would have been worried if I hadn't read about it here before. I think it sounds cool as hell, like something you would hear when walking down the hallways of the Death Star.

KenLyns 12-26-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtoy4me (Post 6179412)
Mine does it also. So can I still change my exhaust from cat back without any issues?

Correct.

KenLyns 12-26-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terras (Post 6182354)
Until then, we will hear this always. It is embarrassing, and I do not know how Engineering was allowed to go forward into production with this making such a racket. I am trying to think of a sound reducer 'muffler', that might vent further under the truck. Just stuck with it for now. Darn.

:laugh: You have a lot to learn about Toyota pickups. Historically they have been durable, but never refined from a noise/vibration standpoint.

Gincoma 12-26-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terras (Post 6182354)
Here is what I have heard, read on the internet, and was told by Toyota. When I first took a Silver DC for a test drive, upon the return to the dealer, the air purging sound was rather loud. At that time I did not know what it was. I took a different model, Magnetic Gray, out and liked that package better and bought it. It too does the 'gasping' sound on shutdown. After a trip to the Dealer, the Shop Mgr and I heard it on mine and he wanted to keep my vehicle. I told him he had a whole lot full of 2013's, and just fire one up, let it warm up, and shut it off. They didn't have to keep mine, he had plenty to try it out on. He called several days later. It is the new Smog Pump purging the pressure in the system. This is a new pump and only is installed on Tacomas. I wrote Toyota that it is rather a bad selling point when in the Safeway/Walmart lot, and everyone around stares at you as your shut off the truck. The Mgr stated that if enough folks write Toyota, they 'might' try to develop a fix. Such as a different valve that would allowed slower exhaust speed, or a muffler of sorts. Until then, we will hear this always. It is embarrassing, and I do not know how Engineering was allowed to go forward into production with this making such a racket. I am trying to think of a sound reducer 'muffler', that might vent further under the truck. Just stuck with it for now. Darn.

Theres no need for a fix cause its normal, some managers are trained or know how to bullshit there way out of anything to get to get anal customers out the door for the stupidest shit. Sorry but I dont see anyone complaing about this expect for those people who are never pleased. BTW if this embarrasses you, you have a slight problem theres no need to be embarassed about driving a new truck

P9HST2 12-26-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenLyns (Post 6182951)
:laugh: You have a lot to learn about Toyota pickups. Historically they have been durable, but never refined from a noise/vibration standpoint.

I drove a 2004 Grand Cherokee for almost 4 years and it was great for me. The motto for them on the Jeep forums was, "Tacky, yet unrefined". :) I liked that Jeep a lot, and my Tacoma even more.

EDJY 12-26-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P9HST2 (Post 6183044)
I drove a 2004 Grand Cherokee for almost 4 years and it was great for me. The motto for them on the Jeep forums was, "Tacky, yet unrefined". :) I liked that Jeep a lot, and my Tacoma even more.

They stole that "tacky, yet unrefined thing from hooters," HA

127.0.0.1 12-26-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P9HST2 (Post 6182385)
I heard it for the first time in all it's glory just a week ago. I had moved the truck two feet so it was only running 20 seconds, and after I shut it off and got out I heard the fairly loud and really cool sound. I would have been worried if I hadn't read about it here before. I think it sounds cool as hell, like something you would hear when walking down the hallways of the Death Star.

that's it then. I am demanding the dealership speed up my 2013 taco special order immediately !!!!

P9HST2 12-26-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 (Post 6183206)
that's it then. I am demanding the dealership speed up my 2013 taco special order immediately !!!!

It's right up there on my top 10 favorite things about the truck!

Nice screen name BTW! You are yourself! ;)

File IFR 12-26-2012 06:43 PM

2012+ Taco farts... after a while, you don't even notice it.

Vstrom30 12-26-2012 06:58 PM

Can someone do a write-up or a how-to on this noise? I love it and wish to add this pump on my '05. :)

File IFR 12-26-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vstrom30 (Post 6183357)
Can someone do a write-up or a how-to on this noise? I love it and wish to add this pump on my '05. :)

Haha. You're joking?...... right?

Terras 12-26-2012 07:05 PM

Smog Pump

Earlier I must have stepped on a few nerves, hence the statements above. Do I have a lot to learn about Toyota pickups and products, probably not as much as the above responder thinks. I will state that the pump is operating as it was designed. I accept that the sound fits your definition of normal. I also acknowledge that there are bullshit managers, anal customers, and an abundance of stupid shit everywhere. Did I say I was embarrassed? Since I am not making that gasping sound, and I would certainly beg forgiveness of those around me if I did, the embarrassment is with the product. Since I have had a lot of new trucks in my life, I am not embarrassed, overly proud, nor full of self-righteousness. What I am is disappointed. Most newly designed equipment will eventually get the ‘bugs’ worked out due to feedback provided by the end user. (Gads now I will hear from all the Entomologists….ha) According to Toyota Customer Service in Torrance CA, there have been fifteen hundred complains received regarding the new version of smog pump. (Must be all those stupid people that are never pleased.) Do I have some things to learn, sure. And I do have a few slight problems. But I think I responded to them here. I understand the functions on this vehicle very well, and will resolve/reduce the noise of my truck and continue to work with Torrance.