1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About to pull the trigger on New Tacoma need some advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jfarris0702, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Jan 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    Jfarris0702

Jfarris0702 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first Tacoma. I'm downsizing from my f150 and going back to just 1 vehicle. I'm looking at a 4wd TRD sport double cab but I'm not sure if I should just go for the Prerunner or not. My f150 is 4wd but I've only needed it once. I prefer the look of a 4x4. Can you lift the prerunners the same as a 4wd? Will they still be the same height and accommodate the same size tire? The prerunner is also appealing because I would save some money. If I can lift the prerunner and achieve the look I'm after that may be the route I go. Just need some advice from the gurus.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jan 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Prerunner is the exact same as a 4x4, just lacking the actual 4x4 parts.

3. Jan 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    dsjones5

dsjones5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DSJ
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 MG DC Taco
    Seat covers, weather tech digi fit, bug deflector, plasti dip wheels, magnaflow muffler, and many more to come!.. as soon as i get money. Ill probably go broke typing this...
    Welcome to TW!
    I have a 2011 prerunner trd sport and absolutely love it. I didnt have a need for 4wd so i saved some money there. Honestly you'll be surprised how capable these little 2wd trucks are. You can do pretty much do anything to a prerunner that you wanted to do to a 4x4. The prerunners are identical to the 4x4 minus the 4x4 components. And you can lift the prerunners easier because you dont have to worry about harming the front cv axles.

But you will love either one. I hope this helped and good luck! :D

4. Jan 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    I was in the same boat, i hardly ever use 4x4 when i haf my dodge so i got the prerunner the times i do go offroad i have people with me just incasd

5. Jan 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    The old adage of 'to have it and not need it is far better than to need it and not have it' comes to mind. I'd go 4wd every time, but I live in Alaska. Get the truck you need for every circumstance the first time.

6. Jan 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Welcome to TW!
    Yes you can lift the Prerunner as you would the 4wd. As far as I know, my 2010 DC TRD Sport Prerunner has the same suspension as a 2010 TRD 4wd.
    Search Toytec, Icon, OME lifts and many more and you will find countless options.

Products Discussed in

To Top