1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To buy or not to buy? Input appreciated.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cvisinho, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    cvisinho

cvisinho [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport DCSB new frame edition
    Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs, Cali Raised Amber fogs,Cali Raised side projecting ditch lights, 17" gunmetal trd pro reps w/ falken wildpeaks, MESO interior lighting, Alpine ilx Android auto head unit, rear view camera, blue sea fuse panel, mbrp cat back, Morimoto retros in Depos, Ranch cap, triple black clazzios, DIY thin lip satoshi with FJ letters, oem roof rack, AJT climate knobs, slim sub behind rear seat, fosgate speakers all around, thule cap rack
    Good Morning all,
    I have been a forum lurker since I started looking at tacomas around 4 months ago.
    I currently have a wrangler with some mods but its getting tiresome for daily use and my familys needs.
    I am specifically looking at 2nd gen tacoma DC and completely understand there value.
    However...

At what point do you not buy one due to mileage?
    There are some super clean and I mean super clean one owner tacos for sale around me.
    Unfortunately I went to put a deposit on one with 76k on it yesterday and someone beat me to it!!! The price was 18,900 which I thought was fair

There are some others but the mileage is between 85 and 100k.

I personally have a hard time spending 17-18,000 on any vehicle with that many miles. I know the Toyotas are known for reliability etc etc though

Hence my post. To the people with on hand experience with the vehicles. Not a dealer telling me yeah its fine.

Are these trucks really worth it even in that mile range?
    18-19k for something with close to 100k on it?

I do see myself keeping this truck for quite some time as we have plenty of house projects, camping trips etc ahead of us.

Any info would be appreciated.

2. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    With that mileage I would be looking for $15-$16k

3. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    TexAggie

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Also more details would help. A lot of options can affect the pricing such as 4wd, long bed and packages.

4. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Although these trucks will last a life time, I personally won't buy a used vehicle with more than 50k miles if it is supposed to be a daily driver - especially if you plan on financing it. If you buy a cash vehicle for week-end off-roading it is a different story; then 100k or even 150k would be acceptable.
    Look at it this way - If you finance a used vehicle with 100k miles for 5 years, and you put 15k per year on it, it will be at 175,000 by the time it is paid off. Even though I have confidence in these trucks, I don't want to be making payments on a vehicle with 150k+ miles.
    Just my opinion....

5. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs, Cali Raised Amber fogs,Cali Raised side projecting ditch lights, 17" gunmetal trd pro reps w/ falken wildpeaks, MESO interior lighting, Alpine ilx Android auto head unit, rear view camera, blue sea fuse panel, mbrp cat back, Morimoto retros in Depos, Ranch cap, triple black clazzios, DIY thin lip satoshi with FJ letters, oem roof rack, AJT climate knobs, slim sub behind rear seat, fosgate speakers all around, thule cap rack
    Sorry for not clarifying
    I am looking at 4x4 mainly trd sport of off road if one falls into range.
    I wouldn't object non trd either, they are just hard to come by around here.

6. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    TexAggie

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    For that you'll probably have to spend between 16-17k.

7. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
  8. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    TexAggie

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
  9. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    In your region make sure you inspect the hell out of the frame. Many of the 2005 trucks have serious rust issues causing holes in the frames.

Some issues you should also check before buying:

Wheel bearings blow out on these things like crazy
    HVAC motors chirp
    Lower control arm bushings seize badly making alignment impossible
    Motor mounts in pre 08' models can fail causing catastrophic damage

Basically if I were you I would either do a ton of research of things that can go wrong on these trucks or bring someone who is very very familiar with all the bugs these exact trucks have. Even a experienced mechanic that works on trucks all day long may not know Toyota specific issues that this model has.

Good luck and feel free to ask away if you can't find any answers to your questions.

10. Jan 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    I gave 13k for mine with 142k on it. I had to replace a u joint and that was $16. Switched to synthetic oil changes team fluid and that's about all I've done has 168k on it now and will ne paid off in about 2 years runs great. Cargurus.com is a good website to check out for good deals. They're ppl on here with over 300k on these v6 with very little maintanance issues. Just look good at the frame, dip stick and oil cap and make sire its been taken care of. U should be able to get a netters deal than that.

11. Jan 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
  12. Jan 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    Ha, that is the exact one I went to see yesterday.
    Someone swooped in on me and left a deposit before I got there.

13. Jan 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    InkedTaco

InkedTaco Member

Member:
    Milford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5
    Funny, i just posted a very similar thread. I just put a deposit on a 2008 SR5 in good shape, 4WD, 4 cyl, 5 spd Access Cab. Paying $16,900 with 77K on it. Best I saw in New England area in similar price range was back in November for $16,500. I had the same uneasiness about paying so much with so much mileage, but based on the reviews and some forum replies I feel a little better today.

14. Jan 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Aww bummer. There was also one for sale by owner for 19.5 with 66k miles on it

15. Jan 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I have a 2009 DC Sport 4x4 with 105k miles on it right now in very clean condition (not a single dent on it, literally) that I'm going to be selling in 6-12 months, so I have been looking at used prices. I will probably ask $19k for mine and take somewhere around $17k, maybe less depending on how badly I want to sell it.

As to what mileage is too much, I'd have no problem buying a vehicle with 100k miles if it was maintained appropriately and driving it as a DD. My college car was a '95 Avalon with 135k when I bought it that I took up to almost 250k without anything so much as regular maintenance. I know my truck was maintained meticulously, and will last someone another 150k miles no problem.

16. Jan 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
  17. Jan 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    That's not too bad, driving a little further may get you a better deal in the long run.

18. Jan 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    Have an appointment Friday morning to check it out.
    I may put a refundable 48 hour hold on it so I don't get scooped again.

I was speaking to the dealer and he said it has a full dealership service history on it, down to a headlight bulb replacement in August.

Feeling pretty confident but I am certainly going to work that price down.

19. Jan 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Good luck, let us know how it works for you!

20. Jan 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    What kinda deal u find?

Products Discussed in

To Top