Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   Fog HID's (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/262765-fog-hids.html)

g.hampton 02-11-2013 07:45 AM

Fog HID's

I am planning on installing some fog HID's very soon and I am wondering if anyone has any tips or anything that might aid me in my install. I installed my headlights a while back, I just forgot everything that I am going to need and what all I am supposed to be doing. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Monster Coma 02-11-2013 07:47 AM

plug-n-play or a TRS setup?

mtwil9 02-11-2013 07:48 AM

The fogs are easier than the headlights. At least for me it was(less crap in the way)

aubi1414 02-11-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g.hampton (Post 6420756)
I am planning on installing some fog HID's very soon and I am wondering if anyone has any tips or anything that might aid me in my install. I installed my headlights a while back, I just forgot everything that I am going to need and what all I am supposed to be doing. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Mine are 8k's
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d.../IMG_10177.JPG
It is just plug and play really. The new HID bulbs you can get w/ the HID ballast just unplug the original plug in as specified and your HID. Took me 20min tops for both sides. Nothing special. Just screw down the ballast somewhere so it doesnt move around.

aubi1414 02-11-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtwil9 (Post 6420768)
The fogs are easier than the headlights. At least for me it was(less crap in the way)

X2

g.hampton 02-11-2013 07:54 AM

ok, I remember from my headlights that i had to run a wire to my battery. Is that not the case with my fogs?

aubi1414 02-11-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g.hampton (Post 6420782)
ok, I remember from my headlights that i had to run a wire to my battery. Is that not the case with my fogs?

NO

g.hampton 02-11-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aubi1414 (Post 6420787)
NO

SWEET!!! Thank you all!!!

choppersx 02-11-2013 08:37 AM

Mine are 8k's
It is just plug and play really. The new HID bulbs you can get w/ the HID ballast just unplug the original plug in as specified and your HID. Took me 20min tops for both sides. Nothing special. Just screw down the ballast somewhere so it doesnt move around.[/QUOTE]

Kool lights! I'm going to look for a kit for my 09 Taco . Thanks for the input.

aubi1414 02-11-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppersx (Post 6420972)
Mine are 8k's
It is just plug and play really. The new HID bulbs you can get w/ the HID ballast just unplug the original plug in as specified and your HID. Took me 20min tops for both sides. Nothing special. Just screw down the ballast somewhere so it doesnt move around.

[/QUOTE]
Thanks!! If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will probably be getting smoked fog lens soon so they arent so bright. 6k might be a good look as well.

Pugga 02-11-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppersx (Post 6420972)
Mine are 8k's

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, cool and also worthless as foul weather lights... :rolleyes: I guess I don't understand the attraction.

choppersx 02-11-2013 08:47 AM

[/QUOTE]
Thanks!! If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will probably be getting smoked fog lens soon so they arent so bright. 6k might be a good look as well.[/QUOTE]

Why are you going to smoke the lights ? are you gettting cars flash there lights at you? Can you change the light bulb or go with a different kit.
Im a newbie, i was trying to match my fog lights to my head lights . i have the philips extreme bulbs but now hearing about Plug and ply kits im interested. :)

Monster Coma 02-11-2013 08:48 AM

You're better off going with a retrofit.

Brunes 02-11-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks!! If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will probably be getting smoked fog lens soon so they arent so bright. 6k might be a good look as well.
So you stuff HIDs into a halogen reflector housing and then you are going to tint the lens to attenuate the output.

Why not just stick with the standard fog lights?

g.hampton 02-11-2013 08:52 AM

I bought a kit for both my headlights and my fog lights. I was the same way. I wanted my fogs and headlights to match. Just gotta make sure you get the same color and intensity for the both of them.

Monster Coma 02-11-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g.hampton (Post 6421040)
I bought a kit for both my headlights and my fog lights. I was the same way. I wanted my fogs and headlights to match. Just gotta make sure you get the same color and intensity for the both of them.

He isn't only talking about that. Pnp kits scatter the light all over the place.. They are especially bad when you get 8000 or above although none are really good at all

aubi1414 02-11-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppersx (Post 6421018)

Thanks!! If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will probably be getting smoked fog lens soon so they arent so bright. 6k might be a good look as well.[/QUOTE]

Why are you going to smoke the lights ? are you gettting cars flash there lights at you? Can you change the light bulb or go with a different kit.
Im a newbie, i was trying to match my fog lights to my head lights . i have the philips extreme bulbs but now hearing about Plug and ply kits im interested. :)[/QUOTE]

My headlights are smoke and I want the fog lights smoke as well and nope have had them for 9 months or so and not one car has flashed their lights at me.

aubi1414 02-11-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunes (Post 6421027)
So you stuff HIDs into a halogen reflector housing and then you are going to tint the lens to attenuate the output.

Why not just stick with the standard fog lights?

Because I want HID not standard and I want the fog lens to match my headlamp smoke lens :D

aubi1414 02-11-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster Coma (Post 6421022)
You're better off going with a retrofit.

True but that wasn't his question. HID or Retrofit? He asked about HID

Brunes 02-11-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aubi1414 (Post 6421067)
Because I want HID not standard and I want the fog lens to match my headlamp smoke lens :D

:facepalm: but it's your rig. Hope no one crashes because of the nasty scattered light from that PnP kit.