Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   VSC vs. larger tires (stock otherwise)... (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/263061-vsc-vs-larger-tires-stock-otherwise.html)

Puppypolice78 02-12-2013 08:31 PM

VSC vs. larger tires (stock otherwise)...
 
I've searched and read threads until my eyes bled... Still can't pin down a definitive answer since most of those are running larger tires and having VSC issues are usually lifted/leveled/aftermarket wheels as well.

I can get some 265/75/16's at a great price but don't want to take the plunge if there's any real chance of the VSC having a hissy fit with the slightly larger tire. These will be going on base 16" stock steelies. Suspension is completely stock.

What say ye? 265/75's totally issue free on otherwise stock '09+ truck??

PS: If this has already been covered and I missed it, apologies in advance...

OZ-T 02-12-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppypolice78 (Post 6431746)
I've searched and read threads until my eyes bled... Still can't pin down a definitive answer since most of those are running larger tires and having VSC issues are usually lifted/leveled as well.

I can get some 265/75/16's at a great price but don't want to take the plunge if there's any real chance of the VSC having a hissy fit with the slightly larger tire. These will be going on base 16" stock steelies. Suspension is completely stock.

What say ye? 265/75's totally issue free on otherwise stock '09+ truck??

PS: If this has already been covered and I missed it, apologies in advance...

Most people have no issues going up to that size .

Having said that , my first VSC issues started when I was on 265/70/17 ( same size as 265/75/16 ) MT's before I lifted

Puppypolice78 02-12-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZ-T (Post 6431763)
Having said that , my first VSC issues started when I was on 265/70/17 ( same size as 265/75/16 ) MT's before I lifted

Thanks for the reply... I've read a lot of your posts while researching this :). What wheels were you running when the issue started?

OZ-T 02-12-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppypolice78 (Post 6431784)
Thanks for the reply... I've read a lot of your posts while researching this :). What wheels were you running when the issue started?

Stock Sport alloys

Funny thing with my situation is that I had the 265/70/17 Hankook MT's for about 6 months with zero issues until I got the Tranny TSB reflash done , from that moment on I had sensitive VSC problems

OffroadToy 02-12-2013 08:38 PM

I'd say your good to go. I'm running 265/75/16's with a 2" lift and have had zero vsc issues.

Mark350 02-12-2013 08:39 PM

I'm running 265/75/16 on FJ trail team wheels with stock suspension for about a year now with no issues.

Puppypolice78 02-12-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZ-T (Post 6431798)
Stock Sport alloys

Funny thing with my situation is that I had the 265/70/17 Hankook MT's for about 6 months with zero issues until I got the Tranny TSB reflash done , from that moment on I had sensitive VSC problems

Gotta say that experience is not making me feel all that great about the 265's... It seems that a lot of people think the VSC issue is also possibly related to differing wheel offsets, but apparently it happens with stockers too.

OZ-T 02-12-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppypolice78 (Post 6431842)
Gotta say that experience is not making me feel all that great about the 265's... It seems that a lot of people think the VSC issue is also possibly related to differing wheel offsets, but apparently it happens with stockers too.

Honestly , my issue is pretty rare , most people have zero issues going to that size

I would do it

Puppypolice78 02-12-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZ-T (Post 6431851)
Honestly , my issue is pretty rare , most people have zero issues going to that size

I would do it

I suppose I could always just Cragslist them for a small loss (hopefully) if things didn't work out. I still would have felt better if this thread got 25 replies of people saying they had no issues. :)

mysticblu3 02-12-2013 09:02 PM

I've been running 265/75/16 BFG AT's for over a year with Bilstein 5100's at 1.75 and TSB leafs. No VSC issues.

OffroadToy 02-12-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppypolice78 (Post 6431919)
I suppose I could always just Cragslist them for a small loss (hopefully) if things didn't work out. I still would have felt better if this thread got 25 replies of people saying they had no issues. :)

Why don't you add a poll to this thread

Puppypolice78 02-12-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffroadToy (Post 6432023)
Why don't you add a poll to this thread

Exellent idea.

tacomataco2 02-12-2013 09:21 PM

Not sure what people have already said in this thread.... but VSC has no preprogramed tire size... only thresholds inside its computer system.. so it should readjust for the bigger tire size. Maybe if you had different side front and rear tire sizes it would act up

OZ-T 02-12-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacomataco2 (Post 6432093)
it should readjust for the bigger tire size.

First time I've heard that

tacomataco2 02-12-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZ-T (Post 6432124)
First time I've heard that

I'm not sure, but it seems like it shouldn't matter if the tire is only an inch bigger.. (the265-75-16) The system would detect the tires as all the same size, acting basically the same as stock

OZ-T 02-12-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacomataco2 (Post 6432149)
I'm not sure, but it seems like it shouldn't matter if the tire is only an inch bigger.. (the265-75-16) The system would detect the tires as all the same size, acting basically the same as stock

What about 33's ?

jage 02-12-2013 09:38 PM

Been on my truck for 25K approx. It's new to me but there don't seem to be any problems (except the tires are crap!)

I feel like the difference in diameter is less noticeable than the difference in weight (45lb/tire) between P and LT, based on test drives. Still I can spit rooster tails on my dirt road all day and there seems to be no lack of power with the larger tires- just a less punchy feel.

Puppypolice78 02-12-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacomataco2 (Post 6432149)
I'm not sure, but it seems like it shouldn't matter if the tire is only an inch bigger.. (the265-75-16) The system would detect the tires as all the same size, acting basically the same as stock

From what I've learned about VSC in our trucks so far, is that it can be really finicky and things like people raising the front susp. just one setting with Billsteins is sometimes enough to make the VSC homicidally yank brakes while people are cornering. Bigger tires, while all the same size, are going to change the data input to those sensors. It's just a matter of whether or not it is typically enough to freak out the system.

tacomataco2 02-12-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZ-T (Post 6432162)
What about 33's ?

I mean that i don't know.. bigger tires make your speedometer register your speed as slower, so maybe it would not detect wheel speed changes as sudden as they realistically are? Making traction control think there is no problem. Hows that sound for my dyslexic self?

crazyasu45 02-12-2013 09:52 PM

...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41 AM.