1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AALs vs leaf packs for my 2008 DC (and first post)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mike h, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    mike h

mike h [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    central pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSBSC
    pretty much bone stock.
    First post here so be gentle. I've searched and read a million posts and am looking at a minimal 2-inch lift for my bone stock Taco. The choice between adding a leaf vs a complete leaf set, such as the Dakar (Emu) or Ironman has me mildly confused.

I want a minimal lift for use with stock tire size. I'll add sliders, skid plates and bumpers at some point, but I want to avoid the vibe issues and I'm not looking to up the tire size. A mild lift with better suspension and some armor will get me on the trails I need to use.

I sold my well built 1996 80-series Land Cruiser a few months ago, and bought an '08 Taco DC SB, bone stock, 8,000 miles, with a TRD package including rear locker, supercharger and TRD exhaust. I've had it for 5 months (19,000 miles now) and I think it will be a good platform for a new build. Its taken some getting used to coming from an 80 Series Cruiser, but that's another topic. The 80 had 4 coils, and I built that with an Emu suspension to run 285s. I haven't had a leaf spring suspension since my '87 4Runner.

I'm not impressed with the TRD suspension. I've used Emu on my last few rigs, but the Ironman is in the running because it's a little less height than the Emu. This may or may not make much difference, the Emu 885s/Dakar leaves would be my other option. I'd not opposed to buying UCAs at the same time but it seems with those two options, and stock tire size, I don't have to.

This forum has been very helpful, I've spent the last 7 years on IH8MUD under the name mainemike in the 80 series forum. I'm in Central PA now, and immersing myself in TacoWorld as I start this new project.

So, back to my original question: Why would one consider adding leaves instead of buying a whole new leaf pack?

Thanks for the knowledge!

2. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    AAL can give you 1.5, 2 or 2.5 inch of lift in the rear, leaf packs (Dakar, All Pro) give 3" maybe more.. I got 3-1/2" from my dakars and they haven't settled much.

3. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Here's another option

4. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.

5. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    mike h

mike h [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    central pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSBSC
    pretty much bone stock.
    So it's a fine tuning ability, to retain the TRD leaves and tweak it by adding individual leaves. I'm inclined to buy a new leaf pack matched to the front suspension instead of experimenting. Thanks for clarifying.

6. Feb 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    rickc5

rickc5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Whitewater, CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
    none
    FWIW, I just had a local spring/suspension shop remove my original '06 3-leaf spring packs and add an additional full-length leaf spring, making them 4-leaf packs now. This change raised the rear about 1.5-2.0 inches, which makes the rear just slightly higher than the front now (front already had a "leveling kit" installed). However, over time the rear will likely settle 1/4"-1/2" or so.

The best news is that the truck handles MUCH better with this added leaf, plus it corners flatter too. No more wandering around in the lane and the ride is actually improved over the saggy original packs. Firm but not rough or bouncy.

Total price was $417.00 out-the-door. I couldn't be happier!

BTW- that particular shop has done this same fix to dozens of Tacomas.

7. Feb 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Another option for you could be from a company called Alcan, for around $600 they can build you a custom set of leafs to give you the lift to your specs, taking into account what size truck, which bed and what weights you normally run. Not cheap, but you can have it exactly the way you want it.

8. Feb 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
  9. Feb 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Products Discussed in

To Top