1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cabin Rattles!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by alegav, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Feb 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    alegav

alegav [OP] TeamBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD T|X Baja
    Pelfreybilt IFS Skid, Mid Skid and Plate Bumper, Rigid Industries Dually's, ARB CKMA12 On Board Air, Kenwood TM-281A Radio, Rear view mirror relocation bracket, Wheelers SuperBumps, Toytec Baja Spacer
    You know what really bothers me, cabin rattles. I have a 2012 with about 10k on the clock. Haven't jumped it, done very light off roading few bumps here and there but the damn center console rattles like a mofo and only sometimes. When I got my 10k service a few weeks ago I had the techs look at it. They uninstalled and re-installed it and that seemed to work for a couple days. BAH!!! I know I am complaining about nothing or the fact that I could just turn the radio up a bit louder but it just kinda sucks. I have always been told that Toyota has great build quality so on and so forth. My gf drives a 2002 Tacoma Pre-Runner with 140k+ on the clock NO RATTLES!!!! I was thinking about removing the plastic piece and putting some some or dynamat on the underside of the piece. Anyone else have a fairly new truck with rattles? Suggestions?

Alex

2. Feb 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    deadhed61

deadhed61 :notsure:

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    A little lift and a little armor
    where does it rattle? My dash rattles behind the gauges but only on certain days when the sun and moon are aligned properly (like today) Drives me crazy!! Only started happening when the dealer replaced my dash. Gotta take it back to them one of these days

3. Feb 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    Thats kinda odd! I have a ’07 and i don’t have any rattles inside that are not from stuff i have under/behind back seat.

I would pull the plastic cardboard thing out of the bottom and check the bolts. also maybe pull the cub holders out and the trim pice around the shifter and see if you see anything, or if anything is loos.

4. Feb 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    alegav

alegav [OP] TeamBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD T|X Baja
    Pelfreybilt IFS Skid, Mid Skid and Plate Bumper, Rigid Industries Dually's, ARB CKMA12 On Board Air, Kenwood TM-281A Radio, Rear view mirror relocation bracket, Wheelers SuperBumps, Toytec Baja Spacer
    Ya, it doesnt happen all the time either. I was thinking maybe it has to do with how hot/cold the temp is in the truck? Like the pieces are expanding and contracting? That plastic piece that sits around the shifter, this part
    [​IMG]

Ya, I'll have to pull it and see whats going on. I know its not the cup holder part, pulled those and made sure there were no rattles. Might not hurt to check again though.

5. Feb 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    2006TRDSPORT

2006TRDSPORT 2006TRDSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Felton, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD
    2006 here, no rattles guess I'm fortunate.

6. Feb 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    dpak

dpak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD Offroad DCSB
    Toytec/Eibach coils w/ 5100's set at 0, Toytec 2.0 Aluma Rear Shocks, Toytec Boss Leaf Springs, TRD Catback Exhaust, SCS F-5 Matte Gray Wheels, Elusive Elements Mesh Grill
    I see you have the baja tacoma. Could it be the trd exhaust causing it to rattle in the cabin?

7. Feb 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    sometimes when I am playin music w/ a decent amount of bass, I hear the black plastic trim around the 4 window switches (and black trim around pass door window switch) rattle at anything over "30" on the headunit. This is all stock, no upgraded anything. I am definately gonna have to address this when I am eventually sending over 100w to each door

8. Feb 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    alegav

alegav [OP] TeamBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD T|X Baja
    You and my GF apparently :)
    That's what I thought also. I am not new to the drone/rattle from exhaust, Come from V8's running straight pipes so I have ruled that out.

I do notice that the door plastic pieces rattle at high volume (im OK with that) with a good amount of bass, still doesn't make the center rattle though. I have tested this with music and without, drives me NUTS! What I hate is driving down the freeway, cruise control set and I just hear a constant rattle it actually sounds more like the plastic pieces are settling then unsettling, settling then unsettling... strange.

9. Feb 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    rlvilleman

rlvilleman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg cab 4wd (white)
    I have a 2012 reg cab and my dash rattles. As does my left door, around the speaker. My 2005 reg cab never had any rattles. even on gravel roads. Not been impressed with this '12.

10. Feb 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    cdthiker

cdthiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    WAY north Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma RC 4X4 5speed
    I have a 12 regular cab and it rattles as well around the dash... not all the time but....
    PITA!
    Truck has 15 k on it, bought her new in july ... with that being said, when i bought the truck my driveway was three miles right up the side of a mountain.... rough gravel road often used 4x4 to avoid shredding the tires....

when i left that place at the end of the summer, I now life two miles off a paved road ... lots of bumps and ruts, 4x4 all winter long.... you know driving it like a truck

I do not mind the noise, long as the rest of it holds up.... I knew that it was going to make noise going into to this ... look at all that plastic.

its a 20 thousand dollars 4x4 that will go almost anywhere, pull 3500 pounds... if the plastic rattles... fine, long as the rest of the truck drives like a truck

just my two cents

11. Feb 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    You should have bought a frontier.

:rofl:

12. Feb 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    alegav

alegav [OP] TeamBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD T|X Baja
    Ya, I had a 2005 for about a year (bought new) and dont remember having any rattles either

I actually agree with you. Lots of plastic so ya. I guess I am just nit picking. I Just thought not owning a domestic vehicle that I wouldn't get rattles :) I had a 2006 Charger SRT before my Baja, drove that thing hard until about 85k miles when I traded her in. No rattles haha. All in all I do agree with you though, if everything else holds up I really have nothign to complain about

LmfaO

13. Feb 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM
    conquistador

conquistador Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    88 4Runner
    There seems to be a trend. Myself and others are having interior rattles in there 2012's. My truck has never seen dirt and maintained meticulously. It has 6000 miles and the rattles started at 2000 miles. The middle of my dash rattles, inside of my drivers door rattles, drivers window rattles, passenger headrest rattles, climate controls area rattles. Its driving me crazy. I'm apprehensive to take it to the dealer because I know they would say they couldn't replicate the problem or cause more damage. I paid way to much money for a truck to start rattling with this little miles. I seriously thinking about cutting my loses before more serious problems happen.

I have an 88' 4runner parked in the garage with 100k on the clock and the interior makes no noise.

14. Feb 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    EG555

EG555 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edgar
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    stock '13 PreRunner TRD O/R
    I've noticed my weather stripping between the doors rattles. I can hear it squish when I tug on the door while its closed and it just gets louder when I'm driving. At 1,100 miles too.

15. Feb 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    alegav

alegav [OP] TeamBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD T|X Baja
    THIS!!!! Exactly what I am talking about. Paid a pretty penny and have rattles. Maybe my expectations are to high? I feel like its not significant but in your case 2k and you got rattles YIKES!!!

16. Feb 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    I agree. My rattles are so loud and obnoxious I am furious at Toyota for making such an inferior product! Listen to this video, it sounds like my truck is falling apart! Do you think it will be covered under warranty?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JgOd52E4lM&list=UU2StmywuCt-xTUCVQ0N1GRA&index=3

(just pulling your leg, it's a truck, not a high end luxury car man!)

17. Feb 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    fireroad

fireroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    McCall, ID
    Same here, 2012 and there is a rattle in the dead center of my dash that is more pronounced on warm days. Started around 2k miles too but I thought it was something the dealer did when they installed the alarm. My passenger window has a slight rattle and the passenger rear seat belt rattles alot.

18. Feb 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    alegav

alegav [OP] TeamBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD T|X Baja
    Har har har :) I appreciate the humor though haha. Its not a luxory car but still rattles? This is my DD with some wheeling on the weekends I want it to not have rattles and sound like a junker

No dash rattles (knocks on wood) just the center console at the moment. Sometimes if I hit a bump or something hard enough I get jolts and rattle but that's expected.

19. Feb 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM
    cdthiker

cdthiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    WAY north Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma RC 4X4 5speed
    My question is....
    do any of you have rattles who use your truck for just PAVEMENT driving?
    I have not driven or owned a rig yet that if it got used off road on any regular bases that didnt rattle
    Chevy's
    Fords
    Many many toyotas first and second gen tundras was my work truck for a long time in the high desert of utah
    I guess my point is that toyota sells its cars and trucks towards people who never use them like a truck is supposed to be used.... these people want the 4x4 logo and fifteen cup holders
    the market has changed, we can not be mad at toyota for changing with it.... if you want a truck that dosent rattle, I would say look around for something that is twenty years old and made of metal
    again, I dont mind the noise....

20. Feb 19, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    JerryTaco

JerryTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Same here.. 2012 with a center dash rattle, passenger seat rattle and rear seat rattle over speed bumps and such.. So annoying but I am going to at the very least have the dealer fix the rear seat because it is by far the worst...

Products Discussed in

To Top