1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In the market for a 2nd Gen double cab. Questions for the newbie.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aguabonita, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Feb 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    aguabonita

aguabonita [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB OR 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Hi all,

I owned a 2002 Prerunner double cab for two years and sold it a while back. I loved having the truck but for a variety of reasons we sold it. I am now in the market for a used 2nd gen double cab. I am opting for 4wd this time. Maybe TRD.

Some questions:
    1. I didn't like the seats of my original Prerunner. On medium and long trips they were too soft and they tended to press into a pressure point of some kind on the underside of my legs. I REALLY grew to hate those seats. Do you folks know if the newer models have better seats?

2. I would love to get a manual transmission if possible but it's not too big of a deal if I get an auto. What models come with that option? Should I avoid the standard tranny and go with the auto or does it matter with respect to reliability/performance?

3. When I start looking at trucks should I look for any weak points? That is, are there any issues that are starting to spring up that I need to be aware of?

4. Are there any models/years/colors/options I should avoid? My theory is that I will probably look mostly at the '05/'06 years as they will have depreciated the most.

5. This will be my first 4wd. Want it for snow, desert, and fishing trips on back roads through the Sierra Nevadas and Oregon. I know that these aren't AWD. I have read various reports as to how/when you can throw a 4wd into 4wd. I don't want to tear s*%t up so what is the final word on traction control? Would I be able to run this bad boy in 4wd as soon as I start hitting snow/loose dirt? Or is it really for heavy snow, very loose dirt, mud?

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top