1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end floorboard "knocking"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HumboldtTaco707, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Feb 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    HumboldtTaco707

HumboldtTaco707 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Dynomax cat-back with super turbo muffler dumped before axle, JBA LT headers, rear fox shocks w/ piggyback, wet okoles, 1 10" square kicker, husky liners, URD short throw, URD maf calibrator
    I apologize if this has been addressed, but I have yet to find a thread that talks about my problem specifically. Iv'e had minor front end vibrations through the floorboard since putting on my 5100s a couple months ago, but recently i've been noticing an odd "knocking" feeling front the left side of front end through the floorboards. It is very random and doesn't seem to follow a pattern, but it occurs a little more frequently at highway speeds. I've recently changed all bjs and tie rods, so I don't think it is that. Has anyone felt this before? Thanks in advance.

2. Feb 26, 2013 at 2:00 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    Check the torque on your body mounts first. Thats the easiest place to start....

3. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Dynomax cat-back with super turbo muffler dumped before axle, JBA LT headers, rear fox shocks w/ piggyback, wet okoles, 1 10" square kicker, husky liners, URD short throw, URD maf calibrator
    Okay. I'm taking it in for oil change/ tire rotation today so I'll have him take a look around. Hopefully the vibrations are just caused by the uneven wear on my tires from being out of alignment for too long

4. Feb 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    crazyrzr85

crazyrzr85 So many b!tches, so little time...now back to TW!!

Member:
    First Name:
    ErIc
    W.PA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD DBL Cab(Totaled) 09 DCSB OR BSP
    Rugged Ridge front mats and Husky rear mat, bed mat, vent visors, bug shield, pine scented tree on mirror
    LOL...you said bj's!
    But in seriousness, this sounds like a noise i'm having and started a thread on earlier...sub'd to see what you come up with!!

5. Mar 1, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Well good news, most of the vibes and shaking is gone from rotating my tires. Haven't noticed the knocking yet but it was always very random so it might randomly come back, ill keep you guys updated.

JJ Customs likes this.
  6. Mar 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Do you have a front end lift as well??

7. Mar 4, 2013 at 3:23 AM
    crazyrzr85

crazyrzr85 So many b!tches, so little time...now back to TW!!

Member:
    First Name:
    ErIc
    W.PA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD DBL Cab(Totaled) 09 DCSB OR BSP
    Rugged Ridge front mats and Husky rear mat, bed mat, vent visors, bug shield, pine scented tree on mirror
    I have no lift at all, everything stock.

8. Mar 4, 2013 at 4:28 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've had the same knocking sound for a while.... My truck is totally stock. Mine is coming from passenger side and the only time anyone hears it, is when someone is sitting in the passenger seat (and at highway speeds). It's definitely in the wheel well area....

I've done a quick poke around underneath this past fall and didn't see anything obvious, but I'm definitely interested in finding out what this is. It's too damn cold out now to do any further inspections.

9. Mar 4, 2013 at 4:30 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Have you had an alignment recently? If so, check your lower control arm bolts. If they were not tightened to spec (100 ft-lb) you might get a knock. I went through this myself.

10. Mar 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I had an alignment about a year ago after I got new tires.
    Checked my a-arm bolts today - the torque wrench clicked immediately.

In terms of body mounts..... I see 2 in the front on each side? One at the cross member, and the other at the very front. Am I missing any? The two at the cross member, I checked them by hand and was able to move them - and got a couple cranks with the torque wrench at 50ft lbs. The ones at the front, I couldn't even move them by hand - so I didn't bother with them.

Anyone know what the torque spec for the body mounts is supposed to be? I tried searching and didn't find any concrete information.

So, we'll see......

11. Mar 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    torque isn't that much if I remember. 50 ft/lbs is probably about right. Yes - 2 on each side in front.

12. Mar 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!
    We'll have to take some highway trips here soon and see it his clunk/knock comes back or not.

13. Mar 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Yeah mine didn't go away. I did have an alignment recently but I had the problem before that also

14. May 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Bringing an old thread back for an FYI for a anyone else.... as I'm pretty sure I found my 'knock'.

I had tightened the body mounts and hadn't felt the knock in a while, so I thought it was fixed. Just yesterday, an extremely windy day..... and the knock was constant with gusts of wind. Upon further inspection, I discovered my mud flaps were ripped where the plastic meets the body at the lip. You can't see it unless you pull it away from the body. Passenger side was ripped the entire length and the drivers side only half way. I can post picts if anyone needs 'em.

I had my husband sit in the truck with the windows up and I flipped the mud flaps back-n-forth so he could hear the knock....

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  15. May 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Hmm well I don't have mud flaps so I can rule that out

Products Discussed in

To Top