1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advise for buying a Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bonomonster, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mar 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    Bonomonster

Bonomonster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Albany NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    3" lift, Skids, Sliders, 33" tires
    Hi guys, we're thinking of getting a 2nd generation (probably used) Tacoma for the misses. We will be looking for a 4wd, auto, quad cab in either a short or long wheel base. The plan is to add a lift and set it up as a very comfortable daily driver/ family trip vehicle that is fully capable of moderate trail riding. We are definitely looking for a tow package and rear locker.

Other than that;
    What option packages should we be looking for?
    Are there certain models or years we should stay away from?
    Is A-Trac available like on the FJ Cruiser?
    Also, on the FJ, A-Trac can be added just by installing an inexpensive switch as long as the truck is equipped with a rear locker. Is that also the case with the Tacoma?

We are just starting to research and are not that familiar with the Tacoma so any advise is greatly appreciated.

2. Mar 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    Jux

Jux :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 SW DCSB TRD OR
    They hold value extremely well, and often times new models are only a bit north of used prices. What's your budget?

3. Mar 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    aguabonita

aguabonita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB OR 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    I am in the same boat and in the process of researching as well. May I suggest you search google for year to year changes first? It will give you an idea as to when new features and trim packages have been released. I personally have settled on '09 and above due to side impact air bags in the double cab.

Also, you may want to read a couple of the threads on this forum regarding TRD sport vs. TRD off road. Some of them spiral a bit out of control but you can get a feel for what the two packages offer with respect to options, locker, atrac, etc.

Cheers and good luck.

4. Mar 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
    A 4X4 Auto Doublecab with a locker will limit you to the off Road package which will limit you to a short bed. the sport has a limited slip diff. As to the year, if you can afford it you might as well go new. I was in the same boat when I bought my 11, except I knew the model I wanted. I was looking at 08 and newer at the time, but the difference in the used vs new trucks was not that much so I opted for the brand new truck that I could be sure of its history and such. Have yet to regret the decision. Especially since here in a month or two dealers will probably try and clear out any remaining '13s to make room for the 14s. At least that was what was happening when I bought mine around May.

A-trac is available in the newer trucks as well. dont know the exact year it started but my 11 Off Road has it. as well as a ton of other stuff.

My opinion, for what you are looking for an Off Road should meet all your needs. Make sure it has a tow package, and you should be good to go. If you are looking for extra storage space inside the cab, forgo the JBL sound system as the amp and sub take up a good amount of space and arent that great anyway.

5. Mar 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    If you want ATRAC and a locker you need to get an '09 or newer TRD Offroad 4x4

6. Mar 3, 2013 at 3:43 AM
    scottw1

scottw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Tacoma 4x4
    Lighted 4wd dial, Sirus XM radio
    I bought a 2010 DC 4WD shortbed w/ no locker (limited slip diff only) w/ 51K miles. I paid 23.9K for it. Just as a price gauge for you. Good luck w/ your search.

7. Mar 3, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    Bonomonster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Albany NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    Thanks for all the responses guys. You all have given a lot of great advise. So it looks like a late model TRD Offroad with A-Trac, locker, and tow package will work best for us. We are not in a rush to buy so we will be watching the used market to see what pops up locally and if we don't see what we're looking for at a steal we'll go new.

8. Mar 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    You will have to move fast when a nice truck with your desired options pops up because it will go fast. Be prepared to run out at a moments notice when it first is listed. Good luck, you and your wife have made a very great decision.

9. Mar 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    aguabonita

aguabonita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB OR 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    I certainly don't want to hijack but I feel like these questions might apply to the OP so...

1) I have noticed through my Internet searched that most all used tacos (on Craigslist at least) are being sold via a dealer. Why is that? Where are the private parties advertising? Or are they mostly selling their used tacos to dealers and/or letting leases go?

2) I too am opting for the TRD off road package but I'm curious about the road manners of the off road compared to the sport. They obviously have differently tubed suspensions and wheel sizes but is it a very noticeable difference on pavement and/or while you are driving the freeway? And if so, where do those differences lie?

10. Mar 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
  11. Mar 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    Bonomonster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Albany NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    We will be buying from a dealer because we want something certified and will be trading in a minivan.

I didn't realize the suspensions are that different between models. I would think a long wheelbase with road tires would drive better than a short wheelbase with all terrains.

12. Mar 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Not sure the difference in the wheelbase is much of a factor, but I cant say from experience. As for tires, they are changeable. But with anything, if you get a hybrid tire you sacrifice a benefit of a great tire on a limited amount of surfaces for a good tire on a wider variety of surfaces. Though most will tell you that the stock Off Road tires are garbage anyway. Guess you could always work with the dealer to give you the tires you want. I had the dealer transfer the tires I had on my trade in onto my new truck.

13. Mar 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP, in your post you stated you are doing 'moderate' trail riding, honestly, in all of the trails I've done and conditions that I have driven it, the LSD rear in my 07 Sport still makes it an extremely capable truck. The only time I have wished for a locker is going up Black Diamond trail runs, even still, I made it though. If you don't need the Off-Road package the you can get a long bed.

14. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    Bonomonster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Albany NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    The tires will be replaced almost immediately. I have a spare set of Cooper All Terrains mounted on 17" FJ Cruiser wheels that will be used until the truck is lifted. After the lift we plan to keep the FJ Cruiser wheels and run 285/70/17 Dick Cepek FC2's. I run this same tire/size/wheel on the FJ and have no complaints, although they can be pricey. As far as the locker, you are correct that it will probably never really be needed. The FJ is wheeled much harder than this will be and I rarely use the locker on that, however it is a nice option to have. My wife will be wheeling this more than myself so the more aids she has the better, and A-Trac is a must. She has very little offroad driving experience. Who knows though, after a year her confidence may build and she may want to push the trucks limits more. Five to six years ago she could care less about wheeling and now she's suggesting trips and figuring ways to incorporate wheeling into our family vacations. As for lwb vs swb, its hit or miss with us. We like the look of both when lifted, and the extra room of the lwb is nice, but the swb is nicer offroad. There may be a little wiggle room with whether or not we need/want a locker, but A-Trac is a must for a vehicle she is driving offroad. I do love the hood scoop on the Sport models. Is A-Trac available on the Sports models?

15. Mar 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    Bonomonster

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Albany NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    I didn't realize that they come together, and you can't get one without the other. On the FJ you used to be able to get the locker without A-Trac.

16. Mar 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The Tacoma isn't an FJ

17. Mar 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    TacoGuy171

TacoGuy171 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    want the trd off road package 4x4 with tow package you should get everything you want.

18. Mar 3, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yep

19. Mar 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    Canadiandad

Canadiandad Active Member

Member:
    Pet peeve.....

To advise someone is different than the advice given. They are different words and are not interchangeable in the English language.

My two cents worth.

Products Discussed in

To Top