1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Window Gun Rack Mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by yamahamoto27, Mar 12, 2013.

?

How do you like the mod?

1. Stupid idea

13 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Its okay

28 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Like it Alot

39 vote(s)
    48.8%
  1. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    yamahamoto27

yamahamoto27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport SWB
    Tinted windows , American Thunder Cat-Back , Tonnue Cover , Back Up Camera Always on Mod , Brake Controller , Gun Rack ,
    Sorry for the lack of pictures/measurements threw the whole process, i can make drawings/measurements or add pics upon request

Needed a gun rack in the truck
    -wanted it on the back window , quickly removable , while being able to still use the sliding window
    -i already removed the plastic shelving behind the back seats prior to the mod for more storage room

-used a piece of 1" angle iron , notched the part sticking out from the window, on the bottom, to clear the seats back rest
    -Bent the angle iron to ride along the window nicely
    -used some 3/4" oak pieces and jig sawed them/smoothed them into the shape you see holding the gun
    -Counter drilled holes in the back side of the angle iron for flush mounted screws
    -Screwed/glued the wood to the angle iron
    I always mount the barrel side holder 1" higher than the stock side so the gun sits level
    - drilled 4 holes behind the seat, and used 1/4-20 nutserts or nut rivets to mount the angle with
    - Felted the entire piece

The notch so the seat clears, 1/4-20 bolts with lock washers
    IMAG1403.jpg
    IMAG1404.jpg
    Felted wood mounted
    IMAG1407.jpg
    Final Outcome!
    IMAG1104.jpg
    IMAG1105.jpg

IMAG1406.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. Mar 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    I commend your DIY style, I do. I just vote against it because I think that it is asking for someone to come and try to steal it. If you say you never *ever* leave the car without it, then I guess you're covered, but I can't imagine that is possible.

I am however all for having your rifle or pistol stored in your truck not visible to the naked eye. Even in Kalifornia I typically have my 9mm with me with a super tiny little lock on it's case, to which I can get in to within 10 seconds and load the mag. I am absolutely positively pro 2nd amendment, I just would never have one of my rifles out on display like that.

3. Mar 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    yamahamoto27

yamahamoto27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport SWB
    Tinted windows , American Thunder Cat-Back , Tonnue Cover , Back Up Camera Always on Mod , Brake Controller , Gun Rack ,
    i do agree with you , i dont leave it there when i leave the truck def asking for problems , i normally put it on the floor and feel better with my tinted windows. main reason for the rack is being a hunter, when i go out with a freind i like one gun on the seat, and one on the window so they are apart from bumping when not in case, and leaving more room for the rest of our things. didnt like the behind seat mounts , roof mounts , or other. favored this because it removes in a coplue minutes and easy access

4. Mar 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    Very nice for hunting! I like it a lot. Having a gun rack doesn't mean you need to keep a rifle in it all the time. I'm from rural PA too and go coyote hunting with blood hounds and a large group of guys. We are always in and out of the truck driving through fields all over the place. It's nice to throw a gun in the rack and go, not worry about it sliding around the back seat or taking up passenger space and easy access.

We hunt 12 months of the year where I am, and I know a few guys who use window racks. Never known anyone to have ever had a problem with a stolen gun around here. Now driving around a city like Philly or San Diego with a rifle in your rack on display might be a dumb idea.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. Mar 12, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    yote

yote Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Ext Cab TRD Off-Road
    I pussed out last summer when trying to instal my cheap metal gun rack I bought because I never drilled into my Taco but now after hunting for a season I am ready to throw that rack up!!

Looks good man!
    :infantry:
    :oldglory:

6. Mar 13, 2013 at 4:46 AM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
    Nicely done. Only question I have is, is there anything besides gravity that holds the rifle in place? I would hate for you to have the rifle back there when you make a sudden stop and have it introduce itself to the back of your dome piece.

7. Mar 13, 2013 at 6:01 AM
    yamahamoto27

yamahamoto27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport SWB
    It's drilled in a nice cavity , when the racks removed and just the nut serts are there it looks factory, and can always put the plastic shelves back in and will be back to normal

8. Mar 13, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    yamahamoto27

yamahamoto27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport SWB
    The pump and bolt action guns actually hold good, but my western grip lever action slides a little on long trips, maybe adding a piece of rubber in the stock area that will wrap around and hook on a small screw

9. Mar 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    I like it!

10. Mar 14, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    Kailey Jo

Kailey Jo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Liam
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD
    I'm wondering if I could build something similar... Only to hold my Snowbrush-scraper instead of a gun.

11. Mar 14, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    NMW 4x4

NMW 4x4 Wheels With Moose.

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Nine Mile, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    OME 885's w/5100's, Wheeler's HD Progressive, Firestone Riderite's.
    That's awesome!

12. Mar 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    Jaws9760

Jaws9760 Active Member

Member:
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport MagGrey
    Bed liner shovel mount, head rest vertical rifle mount, console .380 holster. Tailgate hose clamps & washers. Green LED dome light, Disabled seat belt chime.
    That looks great! Something like these might work for the lever action. http://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-70732-Rubber-Strap-Rack/dp/B004UQG23E
    Seems like they're usually cheaper at outdoor stores though.

I'll have to take some pics of the gun rack my Dad made for me. We both have double cab Tacos and we wanted speedy access so he made a vertical mount attached to the headrest. You slide out of the cab, tip the seat forward and grab your gun. I haven't shot anything out of the truck yet but all of my guns ride solid in there, even the 10-22 and the AR, which I thought would be too short.

I like your setup though, if you're hunting w/ more than 2 people it'd be nice to leave them more leg room in the back. Can you still see out the back window pretty well?

13. Mar 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    yamahamoto27

yamahamoto27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport SWB

Those rubber straps are exactly what I had in mind ! And.yes I can see pretty good out the window , I have a sticker there that makes it hard tho

14. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    aaronbuell

aaronbuell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    windsor NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD/OR Access Cab V6 debadged
    Fog-light anytime mod, ,black grill,URD short throw,TRD decals removed ,debadged,black rear bumper, homemade tire carrier,TreadWright tires,Evo mod,removed rear headrests and seats,ABS kill switch mod,black center caps,Clarion CX501 head unit,Relentless hood brackets with floodlights.
    Looks good I have to do something in my ac cab. I usually have a few guns with me when I go up on my hill for target practice and hate them sitting in the back seat hitting each other its a long trip about a mile up some 4-wheeler trails. My sig picture is where I shoot it looks like an open field but its not.

15. Mar 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
    Interested in seeing said pics...:popcorn:

16. Mar 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    yote

yote Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Ext Cab TRD Off-Road
    how did you get the top of the gun rack to sit flush & firm with the upper portion of your back window?

17. Mar 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    yamahamoto27

yamahamoto27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport SWB
    The angle iron itself , it runs one inch from the window all the way up with a 15 degree bend at the bottom , and is firm enough that it didn't need any extra support. Doesnt flex much at all with the gun . I used the thickest angle iron I could find for that size

18. Mar 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    Jaws9760

Jaws9760 Active Member

Member:
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport MagGrey
    Bed liner shovel mount, head rest vertical rifle mount, console .380 holster. Tailgate hose clamps & washers. Green LED dome light, Disabled seat belt chime.
    :eek: Apparently I'm not supposed to be talking about the gun rack online, he's going to try to market it. Sorry to be a tease!

I'm pretty jacked up about yamahamoto27's rack, can't ever have too many racks/mounts/holsters in the rig! When you guys remove your plastic behind the seats, do you store it somewhere or shitcan it?

19. Mar 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    yamahamoto27

yamahamoto27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport SWB
    Store it for incase you ever wana put it back to stock look

20. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    yamahamoto27

yamahamoto27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport SWB

Sorry 160 degree bend

Products Discussed in

To Top