1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Coreyjon, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon [OP] Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    Well, narrowly adverted a head on when she came sliding over the hill and into my lane - initial reaction took me right to hopefully clear me of her trajectory but wasn't enough, took the full front down the port side shattering my suspension. :( I just got it back after someone rear ended me at a red light - why, why can't people drive, I'm loosing faith in the quality of people in this country :eek: Driving is easy, we used to be good at the hard things, now we have aging infrastructure, and nobody capable of deciding how to fix it. #WayOfTheROMANS.

So-

Body armor?

Suspension upgrades?

I had wheeler 1.5" 3 leaf progressive add-a-leafs and bilstein 5100s - should I go with OME Dakars? those are 2.5 " right? So I have the billy 5100 coilovers up front what should I do there to match? I'm thinking weld on rock sliders, maybe some bullet proof bumpers to match. (I'm thinking...structural I-Beam strength)

Rear suspension = shattered. waiting to hear damage estimates (what do you guys think.) Other person completely at fault.

Rough Morning - glad no body was hurt, my poor truck has been through a lot in the past month, You try so hard to keep something in perfect shape - 2008 with 57k and then all of this :(

Sheet Metal can be repaired - We have the technology, (faster, stronger...)

-Corey

-Sorry for the mini-rant I know most of us do a good job of paying attention and altering our driving depending on road conditions, but It seems I keep interacting with wastes of space.

trucksmash1.jpg
    trucksmash2.jpg
    trucksmash3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. Apr 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    glad you're ok!
    are they going to total it and write you a check?

3. Apr 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    :eek: :S. ^ same here.

4. Apr 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I don't think I would be worried about any modifications if it gets totaled. Glad you're ok bud.

5. Apr 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    Cruzs2013SR5

Cruzs2013SR5 Cruzito

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    OAK HARBOR, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4X4 TEXAS EDITION
    Retrax Tonneau Cover Fox 2.5 Coilovers F/B JVC system with amp Power Block for external lights. PoP N Lock (electric) Python Alarm w/Remote Start
    OUCH! Also glad your ok. Hope your truck isnt totaled.

6. Apr 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    Won't know for a few days if it's totaled or fixable - I think it could be on the line either way. It was 6k of damage when I was rear ended so I can only imagine what this is gonna be.

7. Apr 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    This ^^

Maybeif it was new, theyd drop the cash to fix, but being an 08, they MAY total it...espicially if the frame is tweaked...at least I'd want them to...

8. Apr 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Nice job avoiding the head-on! Glad you are ok, and hopefully it totalled honestly. Truck will never be right again imo.. New > massively repaired

9. Apr 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    aj hank

aj hank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    412 PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular cab
    Hi/lo HIDs, window tint, keyless entry
    ouch! glad to hear you're ok. other people are the worst part of driving. i got my taco because i was sitting at a red light when some old lady smashed into me. hit me into the car in front of me and that car into the car in front of it. after a quick stop in the ER, i'm glad my ride was totaled. a lot of the times, repaired vehicles just aren't the same, ******(edited) Content removed ********

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  10. Apr 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    On An Island

On An Island Assimilated

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Houston-ish
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5160 reservoir rear shocks, Bilstein 5100 height-adjustable front shocks, SuperSpring SSA19 leafs, Westin bull bar, KC Apollo Pro 6" spotlights, Leer 100XQ cap, K&N air filter, AntennaX 13" Euro antenna, tailgate washers, spare tire tool guide, Console Vault, FJ silver wheel caps
    Regardless of the damage to the truck, glad you came out of it okay.

11. Apr 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Glad you are ok!!
    Looks like black ice....we had it here in VT this a.m. lots of accidents.
    I hope it works out and am sorry that happened to you. :(

12. Apr 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :smack:

OP glad you are ok. :( poor truck.

13. Apr 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    MadMan

MadMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD sport
    De-badged and blacked out
    Glad you are ok.
    You don't want that truck fixed, trust me.

I had accident similar to yours in F-150 with 500 miles on it and his insurance wanted to fix it (over $25K in damage), but I told them unless they write me a check for $20K on top of repairs, I want a new truck. (I figured when I went to sell it later, no one would want it with that much damage)

After three weeks of bullshit, I had brand new truck.

14. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Tomasp21

Tomasp21 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tomas
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 PreRunner Double Cab V6 Texas Edition
    ^This! Happy to hear you're ok! If it is totalled, you could always upgrade to a 2013!!:D

15. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Looks scary as hell. Could have been a lot worse.

I agree with everyone else, there is no way in hell I would want that truck back. That thing's toast.

16. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    It's good your ok. If it were me, I would hope it was totaled. That's a lot of driveline, suspension, and frame damage. It would probably always have problems after this. Hope it all works out for you!

17. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    glad you're alright. that looks bad... must be done for. driveline and suspension both look completely fucked

18. Apr 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    No, dont get it fixed. Buy it back, then sell it for parts. Plenty of people needing taco parts. I'm sure you can make missy if not more money back parting it out.

19. Apr 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    They wont have it on the lift until tomorrow, and the state farm adjuster (her insurance) said 1-3 days to come out and appraise it.

So I should hope what - no frame damage and just parts and body, or totaled.

My worry is they don't total it, the actual value of the truck (resale) is greatly diminished. So If they don't total it I should argue that to their claims adjuster (appeal as it were)?. first big accident, I don't want to get screwed. Obviously as much as I trust the shop I took it to they are going to want to fix it because of what they make in labor. Would it be too much to ask to go take frame measurements while its on the lift (to check for square?).

Either way I should no a rough estimate tomorrow and the adjusters estimate in a few days. That axle took a huge load from the side - should I expect there to be internal damage to the gearing? What else should I be looking for, I want to be fully armed in case I need to fight a point to total this thing if it need it.

-Corey

20. Apr 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    I'm driving a 2013 Tacoma because somebody decided to try to occupy my lane with their Mustang and totaled my 1st gen Tundra. I too had just gotten in out of the shop after being rear-ended...I was sitting at a red light! The guy just drove into me. The Mustang wreck was on the driver's side and bent the front frame.

Good to be o.k. Good to have State Farm. They have been way stand-up for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top