1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

will switching diff ratio (4'1 for example) noticably effect my speed or acceleration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ChrisGralnic, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM
    ChrisGralnic

ChrisGralnic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    06 Prunner with AAL and Trd suspension W/lift
    Previous owner used to haul heavy loads, so he put an AAL on it and TRD front suspension with a lift and custom rear suspension for added weight capacity. I recently installed a tow package (Curt with lifetime warranty) So i will definitely see what this thing can handle as far as weight goes.
    I find myself on lots of steep hills with my 2.7. Although its a great-strong engine, hills are not its best friend + I tow a trailer regularly. Will changing diff gears effect my speed but give me more power? If it will negatively effect my speed I might as well just shift down right? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:02 AM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco
    Just a few little things. It's my DD
    Change the gears in the rear end not transfer....
    The 4-1 would be talking about the gear ratio in transfer. If you change gears it will pull better but you would be running higher RPM's. I plan on gearing mine but I'm doing it for the off road, bigger tires reason.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  3. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:47 AM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    Previous owner used to haul heavy loads, so he put an AAL on it and TRD front suspension with a lift and custom rear suspension for added weight capacity. I recently installed a tow package (Curt with lifetime warranty) So i will definitely see what this thing can handle as far as weight goes.
    I havent had any problems off roading other than the very stiff suspension. My problems are long, steep hills. Keeping it in 4th gets difficult (freeway) and I have to rev high in 3rd if I wanna keep at 65-70

4. Apr 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM
    IsmellBacon

IsmellBacon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad double cab
    None yet, need to finish the HEEP first
  5. Apr 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You put Prunner in your info, is your Tacoma a Pre-runner then? If so you already have 4.10's in the diffs. The easiest way to know if to count you lugs. Since you are a 4 cyl, if you are a 5 lug you have 3.31's if manual and 3.58's if auto, if you are a 6 lug then you have 4.10's.

Oh and to answer your question. Yes you will have a lot more power with lower gears. I went to 4.88's and I have no complaints. It pulls hard now!:D But I also have the V6.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  6. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    Its a 6 lug. How did the change affect your gas milage? What about freeway driving? How's that? Rpms at 65? What are they?

7. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    BradyT88

Member:
    I just did about a 1000 mile round trip to CO from ID and I averaged 17-18 mpg and that was setting the cruise for 5mph over, so I was doing 80mph for half the trip and 70mph through the hills and such. I was impressed still so regearing didn't seem to hurt my mileage at all.

I run about 2400rpm at 65mph but I am also on 33" tires and have a different overdrive gear ratio than you.

8. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    Yeah you're in a v6. My 4banger has no overdrive. Unless you consider 5th gear overdrive. At 65 I am at exactly 2500 revs. At 3000 I am at 80. So for every 500 revs in 5th I gain 15 mph. My truck gets horrible gas milage anything over 75. Probably cause the lift fucks with aerodynamics a bit.

9. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    BradyT88

Member:
    Oh yeah... forgot you were a manual... That would make your rpm a lot higher than mine. Your 5th gear is an overdrive though. Anything high geared than 1:1 is overdrive. My 5th is 0.716:1 and your 5th is 0.85:1 or 0.84:1 can't remember for sure. Both of our 4th gears are 1:1 though.

10. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    I'd like eventually to change my gearing to be a little closer. I feel like 3rd and 4th on mine are so far apart from eachother. 4th gear is my save gas gear :p I'll cruise down the road at 40 in 4th at about 1400 revs.

Products Discussed in

To Top