1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noise after shifting into drive...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ExitusLSU, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Nov 26, 2006 at 9:39 PM
    ExitusLSU

ExitusLSU [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    2007 Tacoma DCab Prerunner automatic with TRD Offroad package.

Is anyone else hearing a noise whenever you first shift into drive after starting the ignition. Every time I start my truck, release the parking brake, and shift into drive, after a few seconds I hear this wierd sound come from engine compartment. I sounds almost like a deep, rubbing sound (doesn't sound like something is grinding but something is moving). It only happens when I turn the engine on and shift. If I put the truck back into park and then shift back to drive, the sound doesn't occur. It only does it when I turn the engine on and then shift.

Anyone have a similar problem? Should I be worried?:(

Thanks.

2. Nov 29, 2006 at 2:38 PM
    smooth

smooth Member

Member:
    Did you read the owner's manual? I skimmed mine and I think it mentioned funny noises at a few instances after initially starting/getting in gear. I don't remember the particulars, but you may want to read it first.

3. Nov 29, 2006 at 6:29 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    do you hear before you start moving or after (at about 5mph)????. If you hear the noise after you start moving and is more like a spring release???? then is nothing to worry.All my six Toyota's did the same noise. Must be either a vaccum line or some kind of pressure release. I ask the Dealler once years ago and they could not give me a straight answer but told me that is ok and they where right. If is not this?? you may whant to make sure that is not coming from a yoke that needs just little bit of grease. I hope that this will help and Good luck to you

4. Nov 29, 2006 at 8:27 PM
    ExitusLSU

Member:
    Austin, TX

Yeah, it only happens when I start the engine, shift into reverse, move, and then shift back into drive. Once I start rolling (most likely <= 5 mph, not moving that fast) I hear the sound. Now that you mention it, it does kind of sound like a spring "moving" into place. I'm going to skim through the manual again to see if it mentions something along those lines, like the other poster suggested. Thanks for the info...:)

5. Dec 1, 2006 at 9:32 AM
    Dexbert

Dexbert Member

Member:
    I believe the sound you are hearing is the truck doing a test on the braking system. Every morning when I head out, before I've traveled 20 feet, I hear a sound that makes me think of an "animated spring sound." I understand this to be a normal sound.

6. Dec 9, 2006 at 12:07 PM
    kngharley

kngharley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona, Ca
    I have a similar sound on my truck. It is when I put it into reverse. I have been told it is the ABS System. I would have it checked

7. Dec 10, 2006 at 5:16 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    I was told that the particular noise is due to not being patient enough with your vehicle. it is a new vehicle and you started reving up the speed. you have to slowly break in your vehicle approx. 500 miles. this is what i was told.

8. Dec 14, 2006 at 12:15 PM
    ExitusLSU

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Well, I had almost 700 miles on the truck when I purchased it. Figured it would be broken in. Guess I should swing by the dealer and have them look at it, just in case.

9. Dec 14, 2006 at 2:38 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    did you get a history report on your vehicle? i did an extensive history report on any prev. owned vehicle i purchased.

10. Dec 14, 2006 at 2:59 PM
    ExitusLSU

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Well, I got it from the dealer who was using it as a demo truck. I did look up the VIN # through Carfax.com, and it did not find any records on the truck.

11. Dec 14, 2006 at 5:28 PM
    kngharley

kngharley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona, Ca
    I just got my truck back from the dealer, they found that the air box was loose and thats it. Check yours out it may be the problem

I married my tacoma likes this.
  12. Dec 19, 2006 at 12:09 PM
    natrlyst

natrlyst Well-Known Member

Member:
    I read my owner's manual last night for fun, I noticed it said in there that it is a check that happens on one of the vacuum systems when you first put it in gear or when you just start moving after first starting your truck up and is nothing to be concerned about. I immediately thought of you and this thread when I read it. Check your manual and it will probably say the same thing,

13. Dec 21, 2006 at 3:25 PM
    dendur

dendur Member

Member:
    The noise you are hearing is the ABS system doing it's system check, this will happen every time you stop the engine, let it stand for about 15min of more and then start out again. There is nothing wrong with your trunk, they all do it and yes Toyota INC. is still working on a fix for this.

14. Oct 16, 2018 at 6:21 PM
    ColoTacoPrerunner06

ColoTacoPrerunner06 Truck of my dreams

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue 06 Prerunner built like I like it.
    5.5 lift front 4 rear on 33s with an endless amount more work to do
    It's the squirrel getting on the wheel. You need a new one. They get old and be tired

15. Oct 16, 2018 at 6:52 PM
    locster

locster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4
    Truck is doing its ABS system check. If you unplug one of your wheel speed sensors or if your ABS light is on due to a malfunction, you won't hear it.

16. Oct 17, 2018 at 6:20 AM
    jross20

jross20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5 4x4 | V6 | Auto
    Tundra 5100s F+R, OME 880s+890s, duro bumps, etc
    After I start mine within the first 60 Seconds of moving i hear a... Whirl?

I'm not sure how to describe it other than "whirrll".
    it is somewhat of a higher pitch and it doesn't sound bad it just sounds like something pressuring up. I figured it was the rack, I've heard a similar sound another vehicle so I feel like it's something that cars just do

17. Oct 17, 2018 at 7:56 AM
    nasaengr

nasaengr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Red15 DC OR
    ABS system check. Normal.

Products Discussed in

To Top